PDA

View Full Version : Seeing spots for 3 days

tdf
07-08-2008, 02:35 PM
I was re aiming some mr16 lights and shined them in my eyes. I had the normal spots over my eyes as you could imagine but they never completly went away on my right eye. The spot is very light but I am staring to get worried. Has anyone ever experienced this?

Thanks TF

JoeyD
07-08-2008, 06:10 PM
yes I have...many of time.....very annoying......What I do now is I always wear gloves when adjusting, when I approach a light I literally cover it with my hand as to not get blinded......you may want to go to a Dr. and have them check you out...you could have damaged your retina? One time I saw spots for like 3 days, everytime I blinked they would apear and almost look as if I had stars falling in front of my face.....very wierd....

tdf
07-08-2008, 09:44 PM
I may give it some more time. It doesn't hurt, just annoying. I am glad to hear that someone else has had it and it passed.

Thanks, TF

lowvolumejeff
07-08-2008, 10:53 PM
Lets see, and lets continue to see. I would not go to my opthamologist for landscape lighting advice, so why would I go here for medical advice? My eyes are very important. Give your Doc a call, who knows, you might get a lighting job out of him.

Seriously, don't mess with your eyesight, it is your livelihood. See your doc ASAP.

Jeff

NightScenes
07-09-2008, 10:46 AM
You might want to invest in a welders mask or goggles for those adjustments.

David Gretzmier
07-10-2008, 12:53 AM
I guess I am blessed with glasses with UV protection for a reason. I too have seen spots, but only for a few minutes. I would check in on a doctor tomorrow.

Tomwilllight
07-10-2008, 12:07 PM
TF, if the spots persist, you may have damaged your retina and you should get to a doctor ASAP.

In my first life as a theatrical lighting designer, I learned that looking AT the lights told me very little about what I needed to know. Looking directly into a light only answers one question. Is the light working?

Slow to learn, I eventually discovered that I should look at what the light is DOING, not where it's coming from. To do my best work, I learned that I needed to know what the landscape I'm lighting looks like under my lights. Sounds simple... right? In reality it takes care and attention to protect my night vision.

For me to actually see what my client will see, my eye must be adapted to the darkness, just as my client's eye will be adjusted when viewing my design. This is not as easy as it sounds because of our eye's incredible ability to adjust to an enormous range of illumination levels. Think high noon to a moon-less night, all with the same eye.

Because a dark adapted eye is so open to damage from sudden bright light it's able to adjust very quickly. Your iris will close down in a fraction of a second if it receives a sudden increase in light. It will be painful, which is good, and protects your vision as you squint to shut out the brightness. Think about walking from a movie theatre into daylight.

After a 1/6th second exposure to bright light, it takes about 9 minutes for a young and healthy human eye to readapt to lower lighting levels. This means that if I glance into a bright light fixture, I cannot see properly again for a long time. If I'm adjusting lights, I cannot exactly see what I'm doing.

How can I make accurate judgments about my lighting design if my vision is impaired each time I glance at a bright light source? I learned that I must protect my night-adapted vision while directing a focus of my designs.

I've wondered if the over-lighted landscape lighting installations I've seen were the result of a focus performed by designers whose night vision was impaired by repeated exposure to bright light. Could it be they couldn't see how over-illuminated their work was?

What do you think?

Tom

irrig8r
07-10-2008, 01:48 PM
That's really a very interesting perspective Tom...