PDA

View Full Version : How close do you look?

Mike Leary
07-08-2008, 06:11 PM
I serviced one of our 90 zoners (WM solenoids down, of course) and wondered
how often you all service the regular clients? Our RM clocks note the time &
day of the up/low limit, but, if no one reads the faults, it's moot. The zones
had been down for a month, lawn jockey had our #, never called, finally the
client tracked me down & I went out.......desert...turf thinking it's winter.
Do you depend on the mow crew/client, or do you have a regular "stop-by"
schedule? Do you look at every head in the system? Do you know where
every valve box is/was?

CAPT Stream Rotar
07-08-2008, 06:18 PM
every valve box is/was?

Not sure about you ML, but out East here we are servicing a ton Of

WEATHERMATIC SOLENOIDS..My partner (in the service industry for 20 +) a very smart tech said today,"after a thunder storm, the fuses start popping"

And we all know what happens after that..We do the "stop by when in the area" but normally we wait for the Landscraper/ H O to let us know..

Also this year we are doing a thing called a Mid Season Check up on over 300 of our accounts.Its a great way to head off the dry spots and add an extra day, pitch a few things to the client while getting some face time...We treat it like a turn on..Check every head....check for phantom programs, test rain sensor, adjust heads..yadda yadda...People love I suggest everyone here try em out...

And if we install a clock in a potential problem area we will go back to make sure Our programs have held, and that things are running to par..

btw how are you leary?

Mike Leary
07-08-2008, 07:01 PM
Damn smart post. How often do you show to service/inspect? Doing great, thanx.

CAPT Stream Rotar
07-08-2008, 07:25 PM
Damn smart post. How often do you show to service/inspect? Doing great, thanx.

Glad to hear you are in the plus...We show up starting in July and August to the customers who feel they would like a quick run through and adjustments.Most people are thrilled to have some time to ask us questions,

We did about 10 today give or take a few, and on every property we added,subtracted, repaired, tested all we could...

People think they are a great Idea....Its also a good way to keep the guys busy..Not sure you are familiar with REDTHREAD on Turfgrass but this year with the cooler temps @ night it's quite abundant...

Next year I think we are going to start doing monthly check ups to those who feel they are apt for the program...

Mike Leary
07-08-2008, 07:30 PM
Next year I think we are going to start doing monthly check ups to those who feel they are apt for the program...

Time for RM remotes.

CAPT Stream Rotar
07-08-2008, 07:32 PM
Time for RM remotes.

Sadly I am working with 3 guys that are over 45 and very stuck in their ways.....

i had to buy a hunter remote today and show them how it worked...

they didn't like it..change to them is bad.

Mike Leary
07-08-2008, 08:04 PM
[QUOTE=CAPT Stream Rotar;2409498.change to them is bad.[/QUOTE]

Typical employee mental attitude.

CAPT Stream Rotar
07-08-2008, 08:06 PM
Typical employee mental attitude.

sad but true...

my remote front is no longer hiding..

I am telling them ALL to install smart ports in all hunter clocks...

well see what happens..

greenmonster304
07-08-2008, 08:29 PM
Sadly I am working with 3 guys that are over 45 and very stuck in their ways.....

i had to buy a hunter remote today and show them how it worked...

they didn't like it..change to them is bad.

whats not to like? really what are their reasons for resisting the change

CAPT Stream Rotar
07-08-2008, 08:32 PM
whats not to like? really what are their reasons for resisting the change

the fact that they won't take the time/energy to understand how to operate the remote..So the remote will be in my hands, and they will be digging holes while I inspect the lawn, thats the only reason I can think of.

that and they are stubborn..

I have to explain it like this....time and $$ are wasted every day with walkie talkies, and long walks to and from the controller...

The remote cuts all that out.....

DanaMac
07-08-2008, 08:48 PM
the fact that they won't take the time/energy to understand how to operate the remote..So the remote will be in my hands, and they will be digging holes while I inspect the lawn, thats the only reason I can think of.

I have to explain it like this....time and $$ are wasted every day with walkie talkies, and long walks to and from the controller...

Ease them into it. Little bit at a time. They'll get it eventually. or else you'll make them use it when you're running the show :)

Mike Leary
07-08-2008, 09:05 PM
[QUOTE=DanaMac;2409645 when you're running the show :)[/QUOTE]

What show?

Mike Leary
07-08-2008, 09:11 PM
[QUOTE=DanaMac;2409645 or else you'll make them use it:)[/QUOTE]

Yep, more words of wisdom from the forum.

geardriven
07-08-2008, 09:28 PM
The most difficult part of this industry is change. That goes for most anything though. People get used to what their doing and have been doing it for X amount of time. It even gets to the point that people get used to having issues with products...as in the example provided above...and also get used to how it's taken care of. That becomes acceptable to them. I've always had the mentality that in time, things change.....roll with the changes and opportunities.:)

Mike Leary
07-08-2008, 09:35 PM
things change...)

Welcome to the forum.

geardriven
07-08-2008, 09:37 PM
Thank you!

WalkGood
07-08-2008, 10:44 PM

They can see that having a remote in YOUR hands can/will eliminate one of THEIR jobs eventually. They should BOTH be trying to learn how to use a remote so they do not get eliminated.

Mark B
07-08-2008, 11:09 PM
That is unreal not liking the remote. There is noway I could live without my remote. But i'm a 1 man show. I look at the comm accounts once a month. The res I try to go 60 days if the HO have a largers then normal system.

That is unti I hit 1 of the hardest wiring problems that I have hit in a few yrs. Gotta love those service calls. It has taken alot of my days.

Waterit
07-08-2008, 11:33 PM
Sadly I am working with 3 guys that are over 45 and very stuck in their ways....

Hey, I'm 51 and still trying to learn new things, better ways of doing it/finding it/fixing it. Witness my presence here!

AI Inc
07-09-2008, 06:03 AM
Glad to hear you are in the plus...We show up starting in July and August to the customers who feel they would like a quick run through and adjustments.Most people are thrilled to have some time to ask us questions,

We did about 10 today give or take a few, and on every property we added,subtracted, repaired, tested all we could...

People think they are a great Idea....Its also a good way to keep the guys busy..Not sure you are familiar with REDTHREAD on Turfgrass but this year with the cooler temps @ night it's quite abundant...

We just started printing letters for mid season inspections. They will be mailed over the next 2 weeks.In the past yrs only about 10-12% call.

FIMCO-MEISTER
07-09-2008, 06:57 AM
A remote is the best employee you will ever have. I think one resistance to a remote is that you spend more time being a productive worker and less time billing for walking back and forth. Plus a remote causes you to find all the issues and you can't turn a blind eye to problems so easily. I have customers now who tell me you have your thing hanging from the clock so we can hook up your radio. In putting two and two together I'm figuring out they tried another company saw how inefficient they were, probably asked them "don't you have a radio?". The only resistance to a remote is stupidity in my opinion.

DanaMac
07-09-2008, 07:41 AM
Thank you!

Don't listen to Mike. He'll **** you off soon enough. :)

londonrain
07-09-2008, 08:42 AM
every valve box is/was?
I have 5 mega zone systems I check every month while in use...I check every zone including the heads, field wiring and coverage....plus I adjust the run times monthly....Two of the systems each use 1million gallons a month at peak usage...

DanaMac
07-09-2008, 08:49 AM
I have 5 mega zone systems I check every month while in use...I check every zone including the heads, field wiring and coverage....plus I adjust the run times monthly....Two of the systems each use 1million gallons a month at peak usage...

Are you putting on the weight yet, using the golf cart and the remote? :laugh:

londonrain
07-09-2008, 01:53 PM
Are you putting on the weight yet, using the golf cart and the remote? :laugh:
lol...I have lost 40lbs since the beginning of the year...I am now at 150lbs and in better shape than the young pup Rotar....

Mark B
07-09-2008, 01:57 PM
I'm with you looseing weight. What has worked for you? For me it has been x country running and Mtn biking.

WalkGood
07-09-2008, 02:17 PM
lol...I have lost 40lbs since the beginning of the year...I am now at 150lbs and in better shape than the young pup Rotar....

What shape would THAT be? :)

Mike Leary
07-09-2008, 02:20 PM
At 150 pounds, you better be careful you don't get blown off the golf cart.

Waterit
07-09-2008, 03:37 PM
I'm with you looseing weight. What has worked for you? For me it has been x country running and Mtn biking.

For me it's been working with temps in the 90's and humidity about the same.:laugh: Have dropped from 183 to my present 167 since 1st of June.

geardriven
07-09-2008, 03:43 PM
Don't listen to Mike. He'll **** you off soon enough. :)

Eh....I have thick skin! I can handle rejection, like a good challenge and love stirring chit up!

Mike Leary
07-09-2008, 03:48 PM
Eh....I have thick skin! I can handle rejection, like a good challenge and love stirring chit up!

Use spell check & you'll have no probs w/ Mr. Laid-back.

AI Inc
07-09-2008, 04:46 PM
What shape would THAT be? :)

hey , round is a shape.

londonrain
07-09-2008, 06:03 PM
Eating the right foods now.... I now eat double the amount and still lost weight..
I am ripped up now at 41.....:weightlifter:

Mike Leary
07-09-2008, 06:11 PM
I am ripped up now at 41...:

I'm sixty-three and about ready to get ripped myself.

Wet_Boots
07-09-2008, 06:39 PM
"They'll be here all week - Try the veal!"

Mike Leary
07-09-2008, 06:58 PM
"They'll be here all week - Try the veal!"

Is there a Henny Youngman site for you to get new quotes?

DanaMac
07-09-2008, 07:18 PM

Good for you! That's great. I'm down 15 lbs. to 190 right now. Need another 10 and I will be happy.

Mike Leary
07-09-2008, 07:45 PM
Good for you! That's great. I'm down 15 lbs. to 190 right now. Need another 10 and I will be happy.

Good way to lose weight: use Marlex ells..Is this the right thread?

Dirty Water
07-09-2008, 08:04 PM
Good way to lose weight: use Marlex ells..Is this the right thread?

I should try that, I've gained 30 lbs since I left the biz.

Mike Leary
07-09-2008, 08:09 PM
I should try that, I've gained 30 lbs since I left the biz.

Heft Marlex, be healthy.

Wet_Boots
07-09-2008, 09:15 PM
Heft Marlex, be healthy.A bowlful every morning