PDA

View Full Version : Getting rid of rocks???

gogetter
01-12-2002, 12:51 AM
Ok, this might be a bit of a dumb question. But where/how do you guys get rid of rocks that come out of a lawn? Now I'm talking about fairly small rocks, not boulders.
These range from golfball to softball size, and there's enough to fill a 10cu.ft. wheelbarrow 1 or 2 times.

I have a facility nearby that takes all the other stuff (leaves, grass, brush), but not rocks.

How do you small operations handle this stuff?

Thanks.

Jonathan

coalburner
01-12-2002, 01:11 AM
For the BIG BIG rocks I rent a bobcat with a jack hammer and take the top of the rock off and cover it back up with dirt.

For the fresh crop of rocks that come every year I just deal with them one at a time.

vipermanz
01-12-2002, 03:09 AM
you don't have a use for them as decorative stones in landscaping?

David Haggerty
01-12-2002, 08:58 AM
I place them one stone at a time, in little gullies that are starting to erode or any other low spot in the lawn. It kind of looks like a cobblestone street when I finish. Then the grass grows up thru it and within one season it looks and mows like the rest of the lawn, but it never washes out again.

Dave

turfquip
01-12-2002, 09:03 AM
Dump them in the creek

Dick Myers
04-12-2002, 11:54 AM
Hey Gogetter, that is a full time here in the Ozarks. This is where the glaciers came to die!:angry:Rocks here are an occupational hazard. We have learned to live with, we use whatever we can to dispose of our rocks. See if you can use any construction site for fill. Not much help, but I do sympathize with your problem. Dick Myers

MJ
04-12-2002, 12:04 PM
Probably not much help but I get many, many rocks of all sizes from gravel to 4-5 feet in diameter. I have one in my backyard that I'm digging up right now about 3' in dia. I move them to the edge of the yard and leave them. The wife takes some for landscaping. Used some of the flat ones for a walkway. Used some more, like David Haggerty said, to fill areas starting erode from runoff - dirt washes in around the rocks - end of problem.

How about making a rock wall?

Runner
04-12-2002, 12:32 PM
I ALWAYS keep them. As a matter of fact, at times, I'll go out of my way for them. Too valuable to pass up.

Lawn Services
04-12-2002, 01:26 PM
I try to store the rocks in a stock pile in my yard where i can acumalate as much as a dump truck load at a time then i sell them back when i do driveways or for other landscaping means if you can. Saveing differnt things can benifit such as i save top soil, fill dirt ,stones and grass clipping and leaves if you have the facility to allow you to do this it helps. because you will need it some day

fireball
04-12-2002, 01:26 PM
Its all in the marketing gogetter. Take a pallet, Line the edges with chicken wire 4ft high, move to a shady area, fill it with your rocks, take some urea and spread thickly on top to promote algae growth, declare it Pennsylvannia fieldstone, and charge people $80.00 a pallet for it. I bet you could sell it to someone from Morrisville or Trenton no problem. Check your local stone yards to see what they are doing, they may even take the stone off your hands.

Esby
04-12-2002, 01:48 PM
I dump them at our farm/hunting land. I have no use for them.

TLS
04-12-2002, 02:11 PM
Hey Gogetter!

Ever drive past a site that says...."Clean Fill Wanted" ? Thats were you go. Me, I just usually toss them into the woods, or find a nice pile to place them in on the customers lawn. Let them worry about it. After all its THEY'RE property that you will be removing, CHARGE THEM!!! As long as they are clean, find someone building a patio or driveway and ask if they need any.

Dont know what else to suggest.

Hey Dick Meyers,
Here in PA we have the Glacier run of rocks also. Its a band about 5 miles wide that starts in the upper corner of my county (Montgomery). They are huge! Small ones are the size of a riding mower, the bigger ones are about the size of my house! Some are deceiving, only a small patch is showing in the lawn. You go to dig it up, and it ends up being WAY bigger than you thought! Many houses up here had to be moved from the original planned site because after excavation of the foundation VERY large rocks were discovered 6' under ground! It must have been an amazing thing to see a couple hundred million years ago!!

MJ
04-12-2002, 02:35 PM
This thread reminded me of when we built our house about four years ago. There was a rock in the driveway that they started digging around with a shovel. After awhile, they switched to a backhoe. Then they brought in the bulldozer. Tried to push it out, but the dozer just sat there spinning both tracks. We were down 4' and still not finding the wide part of the rock!! Finally filled it back in and built the driveway up by 6". Still a few inches peeking out; causes the plow blade to trip once in awhile. Then there was another big one where I wanted the garage. Couldn't dig it out with a backhoe, dozer and Bobcat so we poured concrete around it and made it the corner of the foundation.:p

Wangel
04-12-2002, 03:00 PM
After our house was built the builder dumped about a 1/2 ton of rocks on the back of our property. Well, we started taking one or two rocks a week and put them in our regular trash pickup. You'ld be surprised on how fast they disappear this way.