PDA

View Full Version : Transplanting acer rubrum

JimmyStew
07-08-2008, 10:04 PM
Any thoughts on how late it would be safe to transplant a red maple? I know they are known as a "fall dig hazard", but what about mid/late summer?

BostonBull
07-09-2008, 05:58 AM
Mid to late summer is tha absolute worst time. Transplant in sept.

How big of a specimen are we talking about? Height and Caliper?

Do you plan to bar root the tree or B&B?

Hortus
07-09-2008, 06:17 AM
^^^Good answers to know for sure.^^^

No reason not to start root pruning to better your chances.

Travel'n Trees
07-09-2008, 10:30 AM
just use a bigger digger

JimmyStew
07-09-2008, 02:33 PM
Perhaps a bit more info...we have been transplanting a few trees for this customer every year, are sugar maples. They are trees growing in "the back 40" that he wants moved closer to his house. Never had any trouble before, regardless of timing. He has come across a few red maples, however, and I know these, unlike most other maples, are listed as a "fall dig hazard" so I'm wondering how late in the season I can move them. I know that September will likely be too late. If that isn't fall then I don't know what is.

barefootlawnsandlandscape
07-09-2008, 03:58 PM
Fall like conditions depend on what zone you are in. I imagine that late September in your area would be safe.

BostonBull
07-09-2008, 07:22 PM
How big????

if the guy is not a knucklehead, move it now. Bare root it, take as much of the fibrous roots as possible, and apply a heavy dose of BioPak or something similar to give it some much needed Mychorrizae. Tell him to water it deeply 2 times per week for 3 weeks. Make VERY clean cuts on ALL roots and prep the hole just right. Remember not to dig any deeper than the trees root flare. Loosening soil under the root ball will allow settling/sinking.

Also put plenty of mulch around the tree, NOT painted wood chips, actual Hemlock or Cedar BARK mulch with no chips mixed in.

JimmyStew
07-09-2008, 07:49 PM
ARRGHHHH. I know how to transplant a tree. My question is not how do I do it, but rather how late can I wait on this specific tree species????

For the record, the trees we have been moving have generally been in the 2" to 3" cal. range, some a bit bigger.

BostonBull
07-09-2008, 08:07 PM
OK Jimmy! No need to get angry fella.

Like I said mid to late september. I was giving you tips on how to make this species a less likely failure! You dont know how to transplant trees or you wouldnt be doing it in the middle of summer when its 90+ degrees out in the NorthEast! Take advice when its given, and be open minded. Are you an Arborist or a landscaper? What amendments do you make to the soil, if any when planting/transplanting? Do you B&B or Bareroot and why?

BostonBull
07-09-2008, 08:08 PM
I know that September will likely be too late. If that isn't fall then I don't know what is.

Where are you the Northeast, or DownEast? Mid september round here, North of boston, is still 70-80 during the day and 50 or so at night. prime time for planting.

Where did you get this info from on fall hazard?