PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone suggest a better way to drip irragate annuals?

Bluelude1
07-09-2008, 12:22 AM
I have a several sections in my planters with annuals that are currently using Toro Micro Sprinkler VI heads on stakes, but it just doesn't seem like the annuals are getting enough good soaking coverage. Has anyone used another drip product that they have had better luck with for annuals?

Toro Micro Drip Sprinkler VI
http://www.toroag.com/ProductFiles/imgs/MSVIPC_main.jpg

BTW - I have used microdrip soaker hose and it does OK , but it always seems to rupture within a short time.

EagleLandscape
07-09-2008, 12:26 AM
netafim...........

lowvolumejeff
07-09-2008, 02:20 AM
Personally I like the 1/4 inch drip along hoses. Rainbird and Toro make several types. For annuals, since the gardener likes to change position and placement each year, I use the 1/2 gal/hour inline turbulent flow emitters spaces at 6 inches rather than at 12 inches. The gardener can easily snake and resnake this flexible hose to meet changing needs. It curves on 4 to 6 inch centers (as opposed to Netaqfim's 9 inch) and can cover small areas.

As a philosophacal point, I try VERY hard to NOT use mircrosprayers. Those with wider distribution patterns usually spread too fine a droplet over too large an area, causing loss by evaporation and overspray. I don't feel they are really consistent with the drip philosophy of application of water directly to the plants roots.

That said,. I have used "shrubblers". Those course 8 fingered sprayers that water from 8 inches to at least 2 feet (depending on pressure and to some degree, flow) They are great in containers.

I used to use 1/4 inch soaker hose in a loop or linearally (with a goof plug in the end) for annuals. Each was controlled by it's own micro valve. Could be turned off when not in use. Too busy for most, so now am using the 1/4 inch dripline. At my home I use the micro valves with the 1/4 dripperline.

All will rupture if I put my spading fork thru them. But at least tehy are very easy to repair inexpensively.

Good Luck, Jeff

lowvolumejeff
07-09-2008, 02:22 AM
Sorry I missed your hometown. Went to school there, or at least attempted too when not partying.

Jeff

CAPT Stream Rotar
07-09-2008, 07:19 AM
netafim...........

1 dedicated zone of netafim>say good night....

FIMCO-MEISTER
07-09-2008, 07:48 AM
Personally I like the 1/4 inch drip along hoses. Rainbird and Toro make several types. For annuals, since the gardener likes to change position and placement each year, I use the 1/2 gal/hour inline turbulent flow emitters spaces at 6 inches rather than at 12 inches. The gardener can easily snake and resnake this flexible hose to meet changing needs. It curves on 4 to 6 inch centers (as opposed to Netaqfim's 9 inch) and can cover small areas.

As a philosophacal point, I try VERY hard to NOT use mircrosprayers. Those with wider distribution patterns usually spread too fine a droplet over too large an area, causing loss by evaporation and overspray. I don't feel they are really consistent with the drip philosophy of application of water directly to the plants roots.

That said,. I have used "shrubblers". Those course 8 fingered sprayers that water from 8 inches to at least 2 feet (depending on pressure and to some degree, flow) They are great in containers.

I used to use 1/4 inch soaker hose in a loop or linearally (with a goof plug in the end) for annuals. Each was controlled by it's own micro valve. Could be turned off when not in use. Too busy for most, so now am using the 1/4 inch dripline. At my home I use the micro valves with the 1/4 dripperline.

All will rupture if I put my spading fork thru them. But at least tehy are very easy to repair inexpensively.

Good Luck, Jeff

In most cases it isn't a gardener but a low income employee who couldn't give a flip about relaying the tube. Are you trying to achieve nirvana with drip philosophy or get the job done. I'd use Rainbird microspray in annuals and avoid drip. 360 ts spky on 12" stakes or xpcn nozzles with the adapter on 12" stakes. Drip is great in areas where humans will not be doing landscape work but in high maintenance areas I'd avoid like the plague.

AI Inc
07-09-2008, 07:53 AM
In most cases it isn't a gardener but a low income employee who couldn't give a flip about relaying the tube. Are you trying to achieve nirvana with drip philosophy or get the job done. I'd use Rainbird microspray in annuals and avoid drip. 360 ts spky on 12" stakes or xpcn nozzles with the adapter on 12" stakes. Drip is great in areas where humans will not be doing landscape work but in high maintenance areas I'd avoid like the plague.

Before installing drip I always ask people if they are the plant it and leave it alonhe type or the lets move everything around monthly type . If they are always in the garden it usualy spray heads for them.

Kiril
07-09-2008, 09:13 AM
Drip is great in areas where humans will not be doing landscape work but in high maintenance areas I'd avoid like the plague.

I agree. Drip in annual beds is just asking for problems. I give the choice to the client, and explain the downside of both. I also instruct the client if they are going to be digging to first find the drip line(s) before they plunge the shovel in.

Micro-sprinklers can and do work great if designed properly.

AmEdge
07-09-2008, 11:00 AM
I have a several sections in my planters with annuals that are currently using Toro Micro Sprinkler VI heads on stakes, but it just doesn't seem like the annuals are getting enough good soaking coverage. Has anyone used another drip product that they have had better luck with for annuals?

Toro Micro Drip Sprinkler VI
http://www.toroag.com/ProductFiles/imgs/MSVIPC_main.jpg

BTW - I have used microdrip soaker hose and it does OK , but it always seems to rupture within a short time.

For planters, like mentioned above, I prefer to use the 1/4" "spaghetti" tubing with .5 - 1 gph emitters. Have it on a dedicated zone as mentioned, and if it keeps rupturing, then you'll need a pressure reducer on that zone, which is normally a good idea anyway, along with a Y - filter.

Az Gardener
07-09-2008, 12:18 PM
Anyone give a thought to the annuals? Many flowers do not like overhead spray Zinnias come to mind right off the bat.. any plant with "furry /hairy" leaves will be adverse to overhead water. Plus you loose so much to evaporation before it even hits the ground, gets hung up in the foliage and causes fungus problems.The best way to water annuals is bubblers followed by 1/4" Netafim. IMHO.