PDA

View Full Version : New install vs. MP conversion

DanaMac
07-09-2008, 09:47 AM
I have an older customer that needs a better system. I might be redoing the entire system next week. Right now it is 4 zones with mixed heads, too far apart, no head to head, etc. I really, really, REALLY, do NOT want to do a whole new install. If so it will be 6 or maybe 7 zones. I am thinking of pushing the idea of converting to MP Rotators instead. I can get more heads per zone and probably be able to only use the 4 zones. Maybe hand digging one near the manifold as it is a tight shaded area anyway - micro climate zone. I may leave one large area as rotors and just change the heads to 5000s.

I'm also thinking of trying the Smartline at all of your suggestions :) Not sure of the weather station though. This would allow me to change the monthly percentages so I don't have to go back and adjust when it gets hot and dry. I'd like to try both these products and this might be the right place.

I may also try to find a video cam and take before and after videos. We've discussed many times about the MPs and the SL. Any quick thoughts or suggestions?

FIMCO-MEISTER
07-09-2008, 09:56 AM
I have an older customer that needs a better system. I might be redoing the entire system next week. Right now it is 4 zones with mixed heads, too far apart, no head to head, etc. I really, really, REALLY, do NOT want to do a whole new install. If so it will be 6 or maybe 7 zones. I am thinking of pushing the idea of converting to MP Rotators instead. I can get more heads per zone and probably be able to only use the 4 zones. Maybe hand digging one near the manifold as it is a tight shaded area anyway - micro climate zone. I may leave one large area as rotors and just change the heads to 5000s.

I'm also thinking of trying the Smartline at all of your suggestions :) Not sure of the weather station though. This would allow me to change the monthly percentages so I don't have to go back and adjust when it gets hot and dry. I'd like to try both these products and this might be the right place.

I may also try to find a video cam and take before and after videos. We've discussed many times about the MPs and the SL. Any quick thoughts or suggestions?
If you use the weather monitor set the MP zone precip rates at .3 or .4"/hr. Just make sure those MPs get long run times. My catch can tests are rarely over .3"/hr

WalkGood
07-09-2008, 01:17 PM

You have a real opportunity to fix this system by converting/adding MP Rotators. Document it well..... before during and after pictures. And then a month later pics of the improved healthier turf and plants. And a smiling customer testimony.

It's a great marketing tool so you can get future work. Use it in an ad campaign for upgrading under-performing systems.

Mike Leary
07-09-2008, 04:04 PM
Just make sure those MPs get long run times. My catch can tests are rarely over .3"/hr

One of the only drawbacks to the MP is it's low precip. rate, "the sprinklers
were on for hours."

Waterit
07-09-2008, 04:41 PM
One of the only drawbacks to the MP is it's low precip. rate, "the sprinklers were on for hours."

You're right, they do have to run longer. Most HO's overwater anyway, probably make them feel better that MP zones do run so long:laugh: