PDA

View Full Version : mulch installation estimate

GravyTrain
07-09-2008, 09:15 PM
Multiple questions...all simple...but I know I'll get a lot of different answers...

First of all, I'm going to be quoting a mulch installation and was curious how much a yard of mulch covers. Some people put the mulch deeper than others and I know this will make for some differences in numbers but I'm just looking for a general idea.

Next, what kind of labor costs is the going rate for a mulch installation. I was thinking charging triple the cost of the mulch for labor costs and delivery and of course the actual cost of the product. In this case, the beds are grown up a little bit, so I was thinking of going four times the cost to go in and remove as much growth as I could...within reason. I'm not licensed so I wouldn't be able to come in with pesticides.

Last, and maybe the easiest...how much does a typical yard of hardwood mulch weigh and the same for red dyed mulch, is there even a difference.

Thanks guys, you have not yet me down yet with great answers...I look forward to seeing how many different answers I get this time around.

lawnwizards
07-09-2008, 09:53 PM
start with this and plug in your own numbers.
http://www.gardenplace.com/content/calculator/mulch_calc.html#

i charge 65 per yard installed. that does not include weeding and edging.

Puddle of Oil
07-09-2008, 10:39 PM
ya id charge at least 45, the very very least id charge, but even thats to cheap. for the amount of mulch, if the bed looks like it hasent been mulched in awhile, put it on thick, about 3'' or more. then from there on after u put it on thin.

Impressions Landscaping
07-10-2008, 12:40 AM
I wish I could have some of you guys come up here and do mulch for me. The lowest I can possibly go in this area is 75 per yard picked up and installed, and that doesn't include edging and weeding. Usually that runs around 35-50 dollars per man hour depending on how bad it is and how much there is. What is everyone paying per yard around the country? I'm curious. In my area its anywhere from 25 per yard to almost 50 per yard depending on where you go.

cpel2004
07-10-2008, 01:03 AM
Your prices are in line with the industry but it depends on your cost and the job site(terrain). You can do a google search for the rest of the information.

jtlandscaping
07-10-2008, 02:11 AM
I usually lay down mulch about 2 inches deep. If it has been done recently I just put down a layer about 1 inch deep. I want to say 1 yard of mulch weights about 600-800 lbs depending on if its wet or not. (correct me if im wrong) I charge 60 per yard installed, mulch costs me 17.00 a yard. Edging and weeding is charged seperate.

If your using a helper to install mulch I would charge more per yard installed.

GravyTrain
07-10-2008, 07:52 AM
Thank you for all the input. from the sounds of it, I was pretty right on target, although definitely on the low end of things. I'll get this estimate finished up using all of your suggestions and I guess we'll see if they like it or not....

jtlandscaping
07-11-2008, 12:55 AM
Let us know if you get the job, and if so how much if you dont mind saying. good luck..

BeautifulBlooms
07-11-2008, 08:54 AM
we charge $50 per yard to install plus 125% of my purchase price for whatever mulch is desired, plus delivery

depth depends on status of current mulch. If its done yearly 1", every other year 2", new bed install 3".

1 yard of mulch covers 325 sq. ft. at a depth of 1"

Whitey4
07-11-2008, 09:25 AM
I use 2 cubic foot bags, as most, no, all of my properties are small. At $3.50 a bag, my cost, I charge anywhere from $10 to $14 per bag installed. Using bags fits my needs, from transporting with my equipment to wheelbarreling it on the property. Th biggest mulch job I had was 12 bags, but I billed it at $175. That's $133 gross profit fo about an hour's work, plus 15 minutes drive time to get the mulch. Mulch jobs are my most profitable install, with plantings just behind it.

I do very well with my fert and squirt applications too, but the trade off is that mowing prices here are ridiculously low... $20 to $30, but if you don't do the weekly work, you can't get the gravy jobs.

VirginiaLawnCare
07-13-2008, 01:34 AM
I usually charge 60$ a yard sometimes a little more but thats only when im getting red mulch for 16$ a yard.

ALC-GregH
07-13-2008, 11:55 AM
I charge $80 per yard installed plus weeding the beds if needed @ $45 per hr.
My last mulch job I charged $120 for weeding and install. It took 1 yard of mulch and needed about an hour of weeding.

The job before that, I installed 4 yards of mulch plus installed landscaping paper and that job billed out at $450. I had it finished in a day. The best part, the mulch was less then a 1/4 mile from the home I was doing.

The job before that, I did a 1 yard install and charged $180, weeds were bad and required a few hours of clean up and prep before the mulch could go down.

I'm already learning how to price mulch jobs by just looking at it without measurement. Once you install a yard of mulch, you start to learn just how far it will spread and you'll be able to estimate with just a look. :D