PDA

View Full Version : Dissappointed

EagleLandscape
07-09-2008, 10:54 PM
So I was at my favorite customer's house the other day, and noticed their neighbor had a sprinkler leak. (constant).

I knocked on their door (oriental) and politely let her know about the leak, and that it has been going on for about 2 weeks now.

I thought it was a cracked valve. RB DV, so I said since we are already here, it will probably be $100-$150 to fix for her. She offers 100, I said it will be somewhere in that range.

We poked around for about 10 minutes to see what it was, and noticed it was the mainline that was cracked (hairline) right before the valve, but it was under alot of roots, and a 4" drain pipe.

Told her it is a bigger job that expected, since we dug around a little bit, and could run between 300-400 since it would be a 4-5 hour job (cutting drainpipe, patching, roots, etc).

She says call her husband to schedule.

I call him, he says ok let me think about it.

Next day by customer next to them, sees a plumber out there, was there for 3 hours, and the guy left the place a mess.

Huge dirt clods, cleanup was a disaster, left the cut out roots stashed in their flower beds. The plumber was probably more expensive. We are charging 95 an hour right now just to make a little profit.

We could have done that job in the same amount of time, probably cheaper, but wouldn't have left it messy like this.

Dirty Water
07-09-2008, 11:03 PM
Trust me, his bid was cheaper, or they wouldn't have taken him.

He probably bid it over the phone, and really lost his shorts, hence the hurried backfill.

CALandscapes
07-09-2008, 11:14 PM
$95/ man hour or for a multiple man crew?

EagleLandscape
07-09-2008, 11:16 PM
no, 95 an hour for one licensed and experienced irrigator, with several thousand dollars of parts on board the truck.

WalkGood
07-09-2008, 11:19 PM
We could have done that job in the same amount of time, probably cheaper, but wouldn't have left it messy like this.

You did the diagnostics for free. The plumber stated his price and most likely they "negotiated" (read thread a few months ago about how some customers have haggling in their blood). Bet he also got paid cash and took the job for less than your estimate.

Did the repair work?

EagleLandscape
07-09-2008, 11:43 PM
yes we ID'ed the problem, and probably saved them 50 bucks.

try to be nice and get ripped off.

yes, but the cover up and cleanup looks hideous.

these people also pay 20 every other wk to get their yard cut

WalkGood
07-10-2008, 12:34 AM
$20 every other week? If I understand your area, how can it pay to stop the truck for $20? Unless it is a 10 x 10 area and you have 8 houses all together......

FIMCO-MEISTER
07-10-2008, 07:27 AM
Count yourself lucky you lost the job.

Rainman7
07-10-2008, 07:28 AM
[QUOTE=jwingfield2k;2411573]So I was at my favorite customer's house the other day, and noticed their neighbor had a sprinkler leak. (constant).

I knocked on their door (oriental)

You should have just stopped there and said "sorry, I think I have the wrong house". You're lucky they didn't blame you for breaking it by going on their property and insist you repair it for free. :)

EagleLandscape
07-10-2008, 08:19 AM
oh, we are not the contractor that services their yard. i asked them how I can get the maintenance business, and I could cut them a deal for 25-27 a week (we do the hoa and several houses there), but they said 20 a wk, and I said maybe next year.

WalkGood
07-10-2008, 09:20 AM
oh, we are not the contractor that services their yard. i asked them how I can get the maintenance business, and I could cut them a deal for 25-27 a week (we do the hoa and several houses there), but they said 20 a wk, and I said maybe next year.

You would have to tell them it is $39 per week and work from there. Then "negotiate" to $30 and they will feel like they "won".

Charles
07-10-2008, 03:51 PM
Your mistake might have been giving the estimate before seeing the extent of the problem. $100 to $150(original) is a long way from $300 to $400. Would sound fishy to me

Dean of Green
07-10-2008, 05:11 PM
So I was at my favorite customer's house the other day, and noticed their neighbor had a sprinkler leak. (constant).

I knocked on their door (oriental) and politely let her know about the leak, and that it has been going on for about 2 weeks now.

I thought it was a cracked valve. RB DV, so I said since we are already here, it will probably be $100-$150 to fix for her. She offers 100, I said it will be somewhere in that range.

We poked around for about 10 minutes to see what it was, and noticed it was the mainline that was cracked (hairline) right before the valve, but it was under alot of roots, and a 4" drain pipe.

Told her it is a bigger job that expected, since we dug around a little bit, and could run between 300-400 since it would be a 4-5 hour job (cutting drainpipe, patching, roots, etc).

She says call her husband to schedule.

I call him, he says ok let me think about it.

Next day by customer next to them, sees a plumber out there, was there for 3 hours, and the guy left the place a mess.

Huge dirt clods, cleanup was a disaster, left the cut out roots stashed in their flower beds. The plumber was probably more expensive. We are charging 95 an hour right now just to make a little profit.

I don't see it. Can you explain how this was left "messy"?

Dirty Water
07-10-2008, 08:36 PM
I don't see it. Can you explain how this was left "messy"?

Because this is how I leave repairs:

http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=41378&d=1125187233

That valve box wasn't there when I got there :D

Mike Leary
07-10-2008, 08:38 PM
Nice to see a Carson box & ease-of-service valves. :clapping:

Waterit
07-10-2008, 09:21 PM
Hey Fimco, check out how much room's left for more valves! I bet you or I could fit at least 2 more in...:laugh:

Dean of Green
07-10-2008, 11:07 PM
Because this is how I leave repairs:

http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=41378&d=1125187233

That valve box wasn't there when I got there :D

I knew someone would take the bait. I was kidding.

Mike Leary
07-10-2008, 11:11 PM
I knew someone would take the bait. I was kidding.

:nono::hammerhead: