PDA

View Full Version : Mulch Bed Question

grasseaters
07-09-2008, 10:12 PM
I have a question about bed edging, I am doing a mulch job this week and I want to redefine the bed edges. I do not have a machine bed edger and will be using hand tools. Is the mulch supposed to be even with the lawn? Or is it supposed to be an inch or so below it? We did a simular job like this last week and I didn't like the edges the mulch was even with the lawn and then sloped up. Do I need to make a deeper bight with the shovel? If the ground was wet would that help? Any help would be great. Mike

Jb3NH
07-09-2008, 11:40 PM
I personally like to finish the much off so that it is higher than then the edge, with just enough room to mow the grass edge with out disturbing the mulch. I like the contoured look. But thats just me.

grandview (2006)
07-10-2008, 12:35 AM
The mulch should fall to the bottom of the cut you made.

cpel2004
07-10-2008, 01:11 AM
I would try and rent a bed edger, it really makes a huge difference in appearance and it saves you on labor.

White Gardens
07-10-2008, 02:46 AM
At the bear minimum I would use a walk-behind sidewalk edger to get a good starter cut. I then would use a long handle spade to cut the bed edge out. The edger gets a nice clean line rather than trying to achieve a good edge with just a shovel.

Bed edgers rock. They cut a groove, give you a taper, and any extra material you chop up is easily removed.

There is two schools of thought about the mulch in the edge of the bed. I like to leave a lip similar to a sand trap. I think it looks cleaner and helps keep the grass from growing in too quickly back into the bed. I like at least a 3-4 inch drop.

Some guys put the mulch right up to the edge flush with the grass. This helps keep any push mowers from dropping too low and scalping the grass.

Your call.

Trenchblade
07-10-2008, 08:32 AM
I have a question about bed edging, I am doing a mulch job this week and I want to redefine the bed edges. I do not have a machine bed edger and will be using hand tools. Is the mulch supposed to be even with the lawn? Or is it supposed to be an inch or so below it? We did a simular job like this last week and I didn't like the edges the mulch was even with the lawn and then sloped up. Do I need to make a deeper bight with the shovel? If the ground was wet would that help? Any help would be great. Mike
You should check out the trenchblade, it might work out for what you are doing.

JNyz
07-11-2008, 10:00 PM
Do about a 3 inch edge with a spade. Do not apply mulch to the edge, stop at the bottom of the cut. You want to see grass, soil then mulch.