PDA

View Full Version : Baseball diamond

Dirt Boy
07-09-2008, 11:24 PM
Need some insight as to how to water the infield of a baseball diamond.
Scene: Neighborhood baseball field, already has sprinkler system for the outfield. Infield has been limed and am told that this also needs watering before games to keep it at the proper consistency.
Don't know much about where you would place heads to do this, but am thinking you probably don't want them on the playing area, so am asking for help here.

This would only be for the infield area, no grass, would be on it's own zone or zones. Have not looked at it yet, but it has city water, probably 50 psi, plenty of volume so that should not be an issue.

Thanks

londonrain
07-09-2008, 11:37 PM
hope this helps....
http://www.rainbird.com/landscape/technical/specdraw/sportsfields/baseball/BB-5-250bl-6504-12.pdf

Dirt Boy
07-09-2008, 11:53 PM
Thanks London, gets me on the path!

jmoore16135
07-10-2008, 12:07 AM
I am assuming the field is a little league sized field, 60' with bases. You should only need 4 irrigation heads. 2 of the heads will go in the outer arc grass, a couple of inches from the dirt, one between 1st and 2nd base and the other one between 2nd and 3rd base. The other two heads will go in the dirt just in front of the backstop fencing, with one head between home plate and 1st and the other head between 3rd and home plate. Some systems I have seen installed have an irrigation head behind home plate, but that results in very muddy area around home plate with to much water being put down.
You should only need one valve for this station, but if your pressure is lower then excepted you may need two valves.
Good Luck.

AI Inc
07-10-2008, 05:29 AM
well for starters , it sounds like a softball field not a baseball field. Baseball fields are usualy done with 4 rotors midmay along baselines. Softball is usualy 1 impact dead center.

JeffY
07-10-2008, 07:27 AM
We just completed an installation of a sprinkler system for a softball field. For the line between infield and outfield, we installed 3 I-35s pretty much directly behind the bases looking from home plate on 1 zone. We also installed a 2nd zone of 3 I-35s by the entrance to the dug-out and one by backstop behind home plate. They are all High Speed rotors. We keep these zones tied to a different program on the controller for the field staff to hit them on just before game time.

JeffY
07-10-2008, 07:29 AM
well for starters , it sounds like a softball field not a baseball field. Baseball fields are usualy done with 4 rotors midmay along baselines. Softball is usualy 1 impact dead center.

I am not a big fan of anything in the middle fo the dirt playing area. QVC valve boxes and heads. It just leaves too much to chance for a player to hit the lid and hurt themselves or trip over the top of the impact head.

FIMCO-MEISTER
07-10-2008, 08:08 AM
I am not a big fan of anything in the middle fo the dirt playing area. QVC valve boxes and heads. It just leaves too much to chance for a player to hit the lid and hurt themselves or trip over the top of the impact head.

Go read the Mickey Mantle Story and see what an irrigation head did to his career.

Dennis Spencer
07-10-2008, 09:09 AM
Need some insight as to how to water the infield of a baseball diamond.
Scene: Neighborhood baseball field, already has sprinkler system for the outfield. Infield has been limed and am told that this also needs watering before games to keep it at the proper consistency.
Don't know much about where you would place heads to do this, but am thinking you probably don't want them on the playing area, so am asking for help here.

This would only be for the infield area, no grass, would be on it's own zone or zones. Have not looked at it yet, but it has city water, probably 50 psi, plenty of volume so that should not be an issue.

Thanks

You said no grass so a grounds crew would use a hose with a quick coupler.

irrig8r
07-10-2008, 11:02 AM
Go read the Mickey Mantle Story and see what an irrigation head did to his career.

Just Google '"Mickey Mantle, sprinkler" and you'll see...