PDA

View Full Version : well screen question

cooper5114
07-10-2008, 12:25 AM
I'm designing an irrigation system which pulls from a river. The pump sits on land. I'm thinking of putting the 2" intake pipe + foot valve inside of a 6' long section of 4" well screen (well seal on one end a plug on the other...so all water has to go through the well screen. I'm concerned w/how much water i can pull through that screen and how much pressure loss if any it exhibits. The pump is somewhat sensitive to inbound pressure loss.

rate = peaks out at around 24 gpm.

I have a piece of well screen but i'm not sure of the slot width.

Waterit
07-10-2008, 10:42 AM
What size/flavor pump? How much lift? How long is your offset?

Last pond/lake supply we did, I took a 10' length of 4" well screen and jetted it down abou t 4' into the lake bed, put a gasketed T on it reduced to 2" for my pump supply, and ran a piece of 4" solid up to just below surface.

Worked out great, tho we have to periodically back-flush the 2" to clear algae growth.

cooper5114
07-10-2008, 11:23 AM
pump i'm using is a non-submersible -- it's a Berkekey SSHM-2 that can put out about 220 head at 20 gpms. The pump sits about 10' above the bottom of the river and the well screen is about 15' from teh pump (through 2' pipe).

regularguy
07-10-2008, 03:26 PM
I have almost the same setup. I also pump fairly dirty water from a near by river and my system is designed for 25 GPM, I use a 3 stage Flint and Walling pump with a 2 inch suction but I use a Algae Queen suction filter. www.algaequeen.com The Algae Queen filter has a fitting inside the filter that you can screw the foot valve on to. I placed the entire filter unit in the river in a barrel with cement blocks on the bottom, I drilled 3/8 inch holes around the middle of the barrel so that I got the good water and not the stuff floating on the top or the muddy stuff at the bottom, I used 3/8 holes to keep the zebra mussels out. Then I paced a 4 foot by 4 foot sheet of plywood over the top of the barrel to keep the sun from hitting the filter and barrel and growing algae. I usually replace the pea gravel in the Algae Queen filter once per year and filter approximately 1 million gallons per year.

cooper5114
07-10-2008, 08:15 PM
i like that. but where do you buy one...there was no link off that page and searching for it yielded little results.

One big concern i have is this thing getting washed away when the rains come and the river get high. How do you deal with this?

Waterit
07-10-2008, 08:20 PM
One big concern i have is this thing getting washed away when the rains come and the river get high. How do you deal with this?

Anchors. Big ones.

regularguy
07-11-2008, 09:08 AM
I can't remember where I purchased the Algae Queen filter but it was a recommendation from someone on this web site. Try www.greentouchirrigation.com it looked like they were about $130 there. As for keeping the unit from floating away I drove four long fence posts as close to the barrel as I could then I took heavy #9 Wire and wrapped it around the barrel and fence posts and tightened it up as much as I could. Then I took four more posts and drove them in further out, at about a 4 foot square, then I used eye bolts in the plywood and in the fence posts furthest out and wired the plywood down, it also helps to keep the whole thing from floating away. To top the whole thing off I also pile a few cement blocks on top of the plywood. In five years I have never lost it and we have had some big floods and I never pull it out of the water, only the filter to replace the pea gravel.