PDA

View Full Version : Going to Honduras

David Gretzmier
07-10-2008, 12:59 AM
Well guys, I will be leaving Saturday morning for some short term mission work in Danli, Honduras. We'll be building a house, doing a medical and dental clinic, and I'll be doing some children's stuff at night with puppets, crafts, etc. I did this last year and it was great. So I'll be around for the next 48 hours, but you guys will have to solve your own problems after that until I get back. The hotel we stay at has no phones, internet, but at least it has A/C in the rooms. I've heard there is internet down the street now, so the culture may be ruined. I'll check in if I can, but if not, I'll see you guys when I get back !

cpel2004
07-10-2008, 01:00 AM
Good luck, be safe and dont drink the water.

irrig8r
07-10-2008, 01:41 AM
Sounds like you'll have a fun and rewarding time.

Pro-Scapes
07-10-2008, 07:21 AM
God Bless you David. We will pray you have a safe trip and make sure you keep us posted and bring photos back!

NightScenes
07-10-2008, 07:41 AM
The great thing about those mission trips is that the memories last forever. God bless and keep you safe Dave.

LawnScapers of Dayton
07-10-2008, 07:48 AM
Good luck and God Bless.....I am heading to New Orleans at the end of the month for a week to help rebuild a church......Should be a cool experience.....

Pro-Scapes
07-10-2008, 08:50 AM
Good luck and God Bless.....I am heading to New Orleans at the end of the month for a week to help rebuild a church......Should be a cool experience.....

PM me with the info and dates. We are less than 2 hours away and might be able to swing down for a couple of days.

JoeyD
07-10-2008, 09:42 AM
That is awesome David! I wish you all the best on your mission! See you when you return!

klkanders
07-10-2008, 10:17 AM
David, Have a safe and memorable trip! Your work will be remembered long after you have left. Pictures would be great to see! Log on if you can over there and let us know how its going. Take Care!

Keith

The Lighting Geek
07-10-2008, 02:03 PM
Have a safe trip David. Take some photos and tell us about your trip when you get back, it sounds like a labor of love and good times.

David Gretzmier
07-12-2008, 02:56 AM
Thanks for all the encouragement guys. I will be leaving with my group to fly out of Tulsa, driving to the airport from my city here about 5 am, around 3 hours from now. Planes trains ann busses til we get to Danli, Honduras. Rain is 60% chance every day. Hope we get good weather, at least it will be cool, around 83 is as high as predicted . :clapping:

You guys are great, I will take pictures and post those when I get back. I will try to check in on the internet once if I can to update. Behave yourselves while I am gone. Here's a topic to discuss while I am gone- and answer for me when I get back- which is the best light and transformer? kinda kidding. cya- dave g :dancing:

David Gretzmier
07-20-2008, 10:27 PM
I'm Back ! what a great trip. I am hoping to post some pictures when I get them from my sd card to inside the computer. we got the house built ( 9-11 guys, 4 days) , we saw aprox. 1000 patients in the dental and medical clinic, started a reading program and economic/business training program for the women of a nearby village. In addition to the construction, I was also involved leading nightly with Childrens worship, where I built a puppet stage out of 1 inch PVC pipe and fittings ( no glue, so you can assemble and disassemble ) and shower curtains. crafts, coloring, singing, fun stuff. We bought and gave away basic foodstuffs of dry beans, rice and corn, and hopefully through it all we made a small impact. the 2nd year for me, was definetely easier than last year as far as what to expect and what I can get done.

on a depressing note...

The country is on the verge of starvation. The price of the cheapest grain, corn or wheat, is out of reach for over 60% of the population. that leaves rice and beans, which has also doubled. not much nutrition for humans in rice, but at least beans has protein. I met with one of the better off folks, and saw them feading thier chickens rice. i asked her why, and of course they could not afford grain for the animals or themselves. chickens and other animals don't get much nutrition on rice, so then they don't yield much meat. also they have no fescue of bermuda grass like we have for cattle, and thier grass/hay lacks protein. so the cows are skinny and the calves tend to die in much greater numbers. If rice follows corn and wheat in the skyrocketing food inflation, Honduras won't be the only nation that starts seeing it's people die out from starvation.

whoever thought it was a great idea to use 30 % of our corn for ethanol needs to rethink that quickly. when you see folks who can't afford to buy food, what goes in your gas tank becomes extremely unimportant.

I know it sounds like a soapbox, but I encourage you to see it first hand for yourself. it will change you.

Chris J
07-20-2008, 10:38 PM
Damn David, it didn't even seem like you ever left! Sad story about what's going on over there. Makes me want to contribute a ton of money, but it's hard to find a worthy charitable organization that doesn't keep most of the money for themselves. I think I will someday go there myself, and leave the food/money with them first hand. That way, I'll know it got to the people who need it.

David Gretzmier
07-22-2008, 02:53 PM
That's a doable option. An option for you might be to take a cruise out of Miami, bring some american cash with you, and pick a cruise with a stop in Roatan, Honduras or anywhere on the coast of Guatemala. Both those countries are struggling right now. try to hook up with a Christian organization and buy food yourself, and give it to them for distribution there. typically churches in the carribean are not so good with handling money but understand the concept of giving food to the poor. You can buy 50 pound sacks of beans, rice, and corn flour or wheat flour at local farmers "co-ops". We spent about 200 bucks on 1 sack each of rice, beans, dry corn. last year bought twice that, and the year before 4 times that.

JoeyD
07-23-2008, 01:37 PM
Very impressive story David. I spent time in my late teens traveling with our church to Mexico to build houses for the poor. I did this a handful of times and I can tell you nothing I have ever done with my hands has ever been more rewarding mentally and spiritually.

We would build these homes out of old used garage doors. We would then build a simple truss and lay a basic roof. You would be blown away at how thankfull these people were for something as simple as what we were building. I know people here in the states that wouldnt want one of these "homes" to be used as a shed let alone live in it. Yet these poeple once we finished would make meals and try to feed all of us with the little bit of food they had.

As I have gotten older and now have a family of my own which is now going to grow again we have found out (number 3 on the way) I find it easy to focus on me and my family 100% and not the little things I could do to help out others.

As I am sure Dave would agree here, there are so many little things that we could do that would be such a huge blessing for someone else in a country like Mexico or Hondouras. Things like old clothes and shoes, hats, old fishing poles, ANYTHING that we would consider garbage would be a treasure to a poor person in another country. It is easier said then done but I am going to try my best to think about these people more and do what I can to make another persons life or day just a little bit better!!

Thanks for sharing the story David!

Chris J
07-23-2008, 05:02 PM
You can start your charity cause with me Joey. I'll take 6 samples of every fixture/transformer you produce. payup

JoeyD
07-23-2008, 05:06 PM
LOL! You are a man that is in need Chris! In need of a cold drink! LOL