PDA

View Full Version : What business software would u recommend for lawn care?

danspropertymain.
07-10-2008, 10:47 AM
Looking for lawn care software for my business. Want one thats easy to use.All help is appreciated....
Thanks
Dan

07-10-2008, 03:44 PM
Check out Landscape Management System, it works great!

Estimates, Invoices, Customer info and account Management, Scheduling, and more! Oh and its super easy to use and doesnt cost much.

Check out a free trial at www.landscapemanagementsystem.com
enjoy!

island associates
07-16-2008, 05:58 PM
we use excel, word and powerpoint... we try to keep it easy...

Shaun13
07-16-2008, 07:15 PM
2nd for landscape managment system

amor4421
07-17-2008, 12:47 AM
3rd for landscape managment system

MowHouston
07-17-2008, 01:28 AM
I was all for Landscape Management System for awhile. It makes things fairly easy but when I started growing more, its too much of a pain.

If you just want it to keep up with your invoices, thats cool, but a lot of features that are in there are buggy and I found that as a turn off.

Personally, I was using their option to have customers pay through PayPal. If you turn off the option for your customers to pay the PayPal fees, when the invoice gets back to LMS after a customer has paid, it leaevs out that 2.9% so all of your customers have like $2 left over showing as being owed.

Some customers were going and paying like 3 or 4 times over and over, slowly whittling the number down until they realized that it would never go away. Some even overpaid.

The ones that didn't do that, I had to go through manually and adjust those prices as being paid. Very annoying. It is supposedly in the works of being fixed by LMS.

But as I said, if you just want to use it to print and mail invoices, it works pretty well. The invoices are professional. and for something like $4.50 a month it isnt bad.

Now I bill with credit cards and use Gopher, I love Gopher www.gophersoftware.com. Its =fairly= easy to use, just takes some time to set up all your customers in it. Full license is $99, but there is a 30 free trial, worth checking out.

But it has paid off, I'm more organized than ever. I love the scheduling feature. Set up your customers on their normal routes, when you finish them, come home and settle them out and have Gopher run up invoices on them. MUCH faster than doing it on LMS.

From there I just use the invoice info to bill the credit cards the following day. I dont mail out invoices except for two commercial customers so I havent seen a Gopher invoice printed out yet :D

Just depends on your needs! Good Luck.

JacksonLawns
07-17-2008, 06:54 AM
I am using Gopher's free trial right now and really like it. I was using excel, which was getting the job done. Gopher is much quicker and efficient. I am very pleased with it and will be purchasing when my trial runs out.

J&R Landscaping
07-17-2008, 02:02 PM
I use Gopher software. It might not be the best out there but it works good for me!

YardKeeper08
07-17-2008, 03:20 PM
I use LawnPro and it really works great for me. Simple to use and really does the job. I dont know what the others cost but $97 isnt bad for a program when you think of the time it saves not doing pencil and paper/ post-it notes/ napkins/ you get the point, gets the job done neat.

bone1
07-17-2008, 07:49 PM
downloaded the free trial for gopher, don't really like it. gonna try the groundskeeper.

07-18-2008, 01:42 AM
I was all for Landscape Management System for awhile. It makes things fairly easy but when I started growing more, its too much of a pain.

If you just want it to keep up with your invoices, thats cool, but a lot of features that are in there are buggy and I found that as a turn off.

Personally, I was using their option to have customers pay through PayPal. If you turn off the option for your customers to pay the PayPal fees, when the invoice gets back to LMS after a customer has paid, it leaevs out that 2.9% so all of your customers have like $2 left over showing as being owed.

Some customers were going and paying like 3 or 4 times over and over, slowly whittling the number down until they realized that it would never go away. Some even overpaid.

The ones that didn't do that, I had to go through manually and adjust those prices as being paid. Very annoying. It is supposedly in the works of being fixed by LMS.

But as I said, if you just want to use it to print and mail invoices, it works pretty well. The invoices are professional. and for something like $4.50 a month it isnt bad.

Now I bill with credit cards and use Gopher, I love Gopher www.gophersoftware.com. Its =fairly= easy to use, just takes some time to set up all your customers in it. Full license is $99, but there is a 30 free trial, worth checking out.

But it has paid off, I'm more organized than ever. I love the scheduling feature. Set up your customers on their normal routes, when you finish them, come home and settle them out and have Gopher run up invoices on them. MUCH faster than doing it on LMS.

From there I just use the invoice info to bill the credit cards the following day. I dont mail out invoices except for two commercial customers so I havent seen a Gopher invoice printed out yet :D

Just depends on your needs! Good Luck.

I use LMS, and have been since last fall. I think is awesome, especially the way I use it in conjunction with mobile internet.

I guess I have never had a problem with them having a outstanding balence with LMS, but I have it set up so the customer pays the extra fee.

I dont know how long ago you used LMS, but they do have an expense catagory now. You can associate an expense (say mulch) directly against an invoice so you can see how much actual profit you made off a job after expenses. So LMS is more then just an invoicing program now, now you can use it to track expenses also by catagory. Labor hours, Fuel, Mulch, Block, Maintence... well the catagories are endless, how ever many you want.

Also, Just a few days ago I noticed they have a recurring services tracker now. And I talked to Dan(webmaster of LMS) about it a little bit this week and he has some good ideas on tweaking it a bit further to really help us weekly mowing guys.

Also, you say how Gopher is so much faster then LMS for invoicing, well I don't know where your hold up was with LMS, but this is how I do it, and I spend less then 1 minute per invoice.

1. I set up everything with the auto-scheduler for 1am and recurring weekly or bi-weekly depending on the customer.
2. It creates the schedule for me everyday automatically
3. after each job I simply edit the invoice to show the actual time I was there. (this is the only time spent on the invoice, takes about 1 minute)
4. after editing the time, it takes me to a screen where I can take further action on it, I hit the email button and email it to the customer for 85% of customers. (takes litterally no time, just 2 clicks)
5. the couple that I dont email I print off--- I'm guessing that printing takes the same amount of time no matter the program used.

The nice thing about the auto scheduler, is well, it auto schedules :), super easy to set up and use, and it creates the invoice too :cool2:.

One thing that I know about LMS is that it is evolving and growing to fit our needs as service companies. Dan takes all input and suggestions to quickly adjust LMS to better suit us.

Honestly, I can say that I could not operate nearly as smooth as I do without it. With LMS, and mobile internet (Verizon Air card), I smoothly go about job to job, and at the end of the day I have nothing to do at home with billing or scheduling or anything, just relax and enjoy that I did it all throughout the day with really no extra time at all.

:drinkup::drinkup:

grass-hopper
07-18-2008, 02:14 AM
My wife is a Mac geek so theres no PC in the house. I just found Billings 2.5 and its fairly simple for just creating invoices.

Anyone else using a Mac and have any good software choices for scheduling?

07-22-2008, 05:05 PM

I used my LMS (and billed my mom, lol) account and tested what you mention. I had it set so she did not pay the Paypal fees. I had zero problem. It did not show a balence due or anything after she made just that one normal payment. So LMS must of fixed that issue.

And while I was on there checking that out, I noticed that now you can download a backup file of your customers through LMS, something I had been asking for.

I'm telling you guys, LMS just keeps getting better and better every day. You should sign up and lock in your rate now.

07-22-2008, 05:07 PM
My wife is a Mac geek so theres no PC in the house. I just found Billings 2.5 and its fairly simple for just creating invoices.

Anyone else using a Mac and have any good software choices for scheduling?

Grass-hopper, I would suggest LMS, as it is not computer type specific, as long as you can get on the internet you can use LMS with either a Mac or PC.

kleankutslawn
07-22-2008, 05:52 PM
i use my deluxe invoices and estimates and thats all its really good for

bone1
07-22-2008, 06:02 PM
is lms good for a big business or smaller ones?

Green Team Landscaping
07-22-2008, 06:48 PM
I personally dont see why you guys dont just use a little black book with a scheduler and address book, and then excel for the P&L statement. Thats what I do and it works perfectly.

07-22-2008, 08:58 PM
is lms good for a big business or smaller ones?

I am a small business and it works great for me. But that said; one of the main reasons I like LMS is because I can see how easy it is gonna make things as I expand. I am going to have 2 plow trucks running independant routes, and a seperate sidewalk crew(skid steer) doing snow this winter and LMS is just perfect for getting the paperwork and routing done easily. Especially with the auto-sheduling and the routing, I can see where that is gonna save me even more time the larger I get.

I guess you just gotta use it and see if it works for you. I started using it, and became practically addicted to how much time it saves me. We all know that in this business time is money.

bone1
07-22-2008, 09:48 PM
I am a small business and it works great for me. But that said; one of the main reasons I like LMS is because I can see how easy it is gonna make things as I expand. I am going to have 2 plow trucks running independant routes, and a seperate sidewalk crew(skid steer) doing snow this winter and LMS is just perfect for getting the paperwork and routing done easily. Especially with the auto-sheduling and the routing, I can see where that is gonna save me even more time the larger I get.

I guess you just gotta use it and see if it works for you. I started using it, and became practically addicted to how much time it saves me. We all know that in this business time is money.

hey, thanks for the info!

MowHouston
07-23-2008, 11:54 AM
I used my LMS (and billed my mom, lol) account and tested what you mention. I had it set so she did not pay the Paypal fees. I had zero problem. It did not show a balence due or anything after she made just that one normal payment. So LMS must of fixed that issue.

And while I was on there checking that out, I noticed that now you can download a backup file of your customers through LMS, something I had been asking for.

I'm telling you guys, LMS just keeps getting better and better every day. You should sign up and lock in your rate now.

Yes I had posted a bug about it on the forums and they were supposed to be getting to it. I stopped using LMS about three weeks ago. Just doesn't work with the way I do business now with 1-3 new customers a day and billing with credit cards. Gopher is the better choice for me.

AboveTheCut
07-23-2008, 03:30 PM
i started using LMS at the begining of the season thinking it was the solution to my paperwork mayhem. i like alot of the things they do, and support is awesome. however, i bill monthly and i needed a way to mark the job as "complete" (track my work) and then invoice just once a month. and be able to run various types of reports that LMS could not do. I tried GroundsKeeper and liked it but it was just too expensive for me at the time. LawnPro is a good solution for me. it allows me to schedule recurring work, mark jobs complete, create invoices from "mow history" and generate alot of the reports i was mentioning. and, data imports and exports to quickbooks. customer support with LawnPro is also great in my opinion. my only complaint is that at invoice time i have to open each account and hit the invoice button instead of hitting one button to invoice everyone at once like you can do with groundskeeper. but for $97 you cant go wrong. try the trial version, i think you will like it.