PDA

View Full Version : Great Dane Gateway

lawnkid
01-12-2002, 05:38 PM
Does anybody have any experience with a Gateway?
Just wondering because one of my good buddies wants to puchase one and he wants to hear what is your opinipons on it?
What's good about it? Bad? Thanks

accuratelawn
01-12-2002, 07:00 PM
I bought one last year. 305 hours on it this season.
Cuts well. Excellent trimming because of 18" offset on the left side. Top speed 7mph and will cut at speed with a sulkie of course. Doubles work well on leaves. 17 Kawasaki is strong enough for the 52 " deck. Far more productive than a 36, and it fits everywhere a 36 will. Saves room on the trailer. Takes a few lawns to get used to offset. Striping is different, but have had no complants from customers. Make sure to let blades come to a complete stop before lifting deck wing up. If not it will throw the deck belt.
The photos do not show, but there is a third caster on the deck.
It does not scalp btw.
Anything else?

summitgroundskeeping
01-12-2002, 07:01 PM
My dealer has one, and test drove one at the Expo in Kentucky. I have mixed feelings on it. It has Great Dane's new pistol grip hydro system on it, which can be confusing b/c if you pull on the handles too much, it goes into reverse. It's the greatest helper in productivity if you have tons of properties w/ fences and large areas to mow. It's strange mowing w/ it b/c you have like 16-18 inches hanging off the side of the mower. I wouldn't use it unless its sole purpose was for large fenced in areas, other wise it would stink. For as much as it cost, it would be hard to justify.

accuratelawn
01-12-2002, 07:08 PM
Summit,
Have you ever used a hydro WB?? They all go in reverse that way. I paid $5200 for my Gateway, which is inline with a standard 52 hydro WB.

summitgroundskeeping
01-12-2002, 07:13 PM
YES. I run Great Dane Scampers. They have a handle system like their Super Sufers. If your used to that type a system or a belt drive, it's wierd. And my w/b are priced at $4,200 w/ a velki bagger and other stuff. For another $1000 you can purchase a semi decent 36" if your fenced in areas aren't that large and have another usable mower.

accuratelawn
01-12-2002, 08:06 PM
Your choice to operate two mowers. I think it is easier to service one each week. It also take ups alot less room on the trailer.

Lawn DOG
01-12-2002, 10:26 PM
We demoed one for a couple of days and found it difficult to get used to controls.
It has it good points. Lots of power. Takes up little space on trailer. Great for lawns with fenced back yards.
Dane makes some great machines but this one is only good if you need it. Way out the pro's and con's and see if it is right for you.

johnnywalker
01-12-2002, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by accuratelawn

The photos do not show, but there is a third caster on the deck.
It does not scalp btw.
Anything else?

Where is the third caster located? I was considering this mower but the huge offset deck looks like a serious scalper. We cut alot of unneven terrain, slopes, ditches, at 2.5"-3" & even have occasional problems with a floating 36".

LAWNGODFATHER
01-12-2002, 10:33 PM
32" or 36" Hydro Exmark with a Flex-Deck. About the same price range.

Benafits over the gateway:

The Flex-Deck is completely removable from the mower in 30 seconds, which will let you take the mower in even tighter areas you wouldn't even imagine.

Also With the gateway you can not mow with the wing in the up position, and it's not removable.

Also the gateway is 37.5" wide not 36", which may cause you not to fit in a few gates.

johnnywalker
01-12-2002, 10:50 PM
One more benefit. The flex-deck floats with the terrain.

Cons- The flex-deck is offset to the front of the deck, which could take getting used to.

The flex deck is not yet avail on an Exmark 32 Viking or 36TTHP.

accuratelawn
01-12-2002, 11:14 PM
The Gateway is no wider than a 36. It will go anywhere a 36 will. It has taller drive wheels than a 32 or 36 would have and the mower is powered by a 17 hp not a 12.5 to 14 common to a smaller WB.

With the flex deck you have one more belt and blade to keep up with.
Johnnywalker- the third caster is on the left side (wing).

accuratelawn
01-12-2002, 11:17 PM
LGF,
Why would you want to mow with the wing up??
I would rather mow 52" than 32".

johnnywalker
01-12-2002, 11:25 PM
Mow with the wing up in tightly landscaped areas, common in gated props, or for more power.
The 32 Viking with flex could go anywhere.

LAWNGODFATHER
01-12-2002, 11:36 PM
Why would you want to mow with the wing up?? Sorry for any confusion, but I ment the gateway was not removable.
It has taller drive wheels than a 32 or 36 would have and the mower is powered by a 17 hp not a 12.5 to 14 common to a smaller WB. 15hp kaw or Koh, 16" drive tires.The Gateway is no wider than a 36. It will go anywhere a 36 will. And that means it's 37.5" wide. Meaure it or any 36", I'll bet my entire LCO on it.I would rather mow 52" than 32".

Can't take a 50" were it wont fit, that's the biggest reason for the "option" of the Flex-deck

Flex-Deck The wave of the future.

johnnywalker
01-13-2002, 01:52 AM
accuratelawn,
Did a cut & paste on the original pic. Does it look like this?
If so I can see how the mower would scalp less than I thought based on the promo pic.

CompleteLawn Service
01-13-2002, 02:06 PM
I actually have the 11 page brochure from GreatDane here in front of me.

52" available motors, 17hp kaw.E/S , 18hp KOL E/S , 22hp KOL

Weight 703lbs,and 713lbs

Dimensions, Width 37.75" Length 83.5"

Dual hydro pump and motors
Electo magnetic blade clutch
Dual wheel parking brake
16x6.50x8 rear drive tires
9x3.50x4 caster tires
7 mph forward 2.5 mph reverse

Another note is John deere has purchased the GreatDane company and within a short time theirs going to be alot of changes so I would hold off a little while to see what happens.

I would hate to see you buy this mower and next year John Deere discontinues it. Making parts hard to get.

Their product seem to be of great quality now. Seems very well thought out and built.If only they werent yellow. Seems any speck of dirt would show.Not that we need trailer queens but I feel clean looking equiptment helps sell your service to others.

Well have a good day. Jeff

lawnkid
01-13-2002, 03:55 PM
Thanks alot guys for helping my buddy make a decision that a 36" would just be best. I know you guys all talk about exmark and I understand how good they are but he also currently owns a Scag hydro and so far has had no problems with it so he would like to continue using their equip. Thanks Again

Flex-Deck
01-13-2002, 10:17 PM
johnnywalker - Actually the offset forward makes the flex-deck easier to become accustomed to because it is not only more visible, but it reacts directly and immediately to any turns made by the operator, and yes, it does contour mow beautifully. Hopefully will get one on a eXmark, Gravely or some other brand soon. Only have put on on a JD 36" belt drive - fixed deck - Have pictures on my sponsor forum - Thanks, Brad