PDA

View Full Version : Boulders

conceptscapes
07-10-2008, 06:50 PM
Any suggestions on price for 8-800lbs boulders delivered and installed --3 in front yard and 5 in the back. Only access is 40" gate large enough for my bobcat with forks?

DVS Hardscaper
07-10-2008, 08:01 PM
Real Simple: charge hourly.

and charge a move in fee.

:)

SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES
07-10-2008, 09:47 PM
here is one for you. i have a guy call me today wanting to have some boulders moved. I get there and he is wanting to have three 5ft around granite boulders (8,000lbs.) moved out of his yard completely. I gave him a ballpark price of $2,500 and told him we would bring in a crane and a dump truck. You should have seen the look in his eyes...

conceptscapes
07-10-2008, 10:20 PM
thats what these customers wanted something along the line of 3000 boulders, catch is only a 40" access to the backyard, so i told them a crane as well---they quickly decided to go with the 800lb boulders.

LB1234
07-10-2008, 10:28 PM
one of the WB mini skids will handle the 40 inch gate and 800# boulders. Question is will the boulders fit through the gate...keeping in mind how you would have to have them on hte forks.

I agree with above...hourly rate.

Az Gardener
07-10-2008, 11:31 PM
Cranes are not all that expensive. Call Smiley crane, I haven't used them since gas went through the roof but I bet you can get their small crane for an hour for less than 200. The other option is the Boulder dollies you can rent them from A to Z We used to move 8-1200 lb boulders with them. I sure don't miss the heavy lifting.

zedosix
07-10-2008, 11:50 PM
I charge 200 dollars per boulder, delivered and installed and if there is brick to be cut and shaped around I charge a little extra.

Summit L & D
07-11-2008, 09:41 PM
Any suggestions on price for 8-800lbs boulders delivered and installed --3 in front yard and 5 in the back. Only access is 40" gate large enough for my bobcat with forks?

I don't know if they're still around, but Bob McKenzie with Aztec Boulders did some fantastic work for us a few years back. Send me a PM if you'd like the number that I have for them. He had a good sized crane that could put down a 2,000 lb. boulder 60' - 80' from the crane base.

ANC Stone Creations
07-13-2008, 07:10 PM
Have you thought of using manmade boulders?

With this option you may build them as large as you want, and stain them pretty much any color the job calls for, or sub it out to faux stone company.

The price of the material would cost a little more but you would not need any heavy machines like with natural stone, so the price should be pretty close either way.

I know of a company that builds custom boulders for all types of applications.

I will attach a picture of one let me know what you think.

merrimacmill
07-13-2008, 10:06 PM
Where are you guys getting the boulders at a reasonable price? Anyone around here is charging 250 to buy three 100-200 pound boulders.

PlatinumLandCon
07-14-2008, 12:00 AM
I get them for $158/ton. I actually have someone that's inquired about boulders throughout their landscape so it should be interesting to see how that goes.

ANC Stone Creations
07-14-2008, 05:05 AM
Check out your local rock quarries, the rock prices will vary depending on size.

I think for 1/2 - 5 man I pay around $25-$55 ton picked up depending on the type of stone, basalt or granite.

If you buy from a stone yard you may be paying more than you need to, just do a little homework on the local quarries.

Lite4
07-14-2008, 11:46 AM
For decorative boulders, I get mine from a local stone supplier. I don't use quarry type of stone unless it is going into a waterfall or something. The stone I buy is all hand picked by the stone guy and carefully loaded and brought down off the mountain to his yard. It is usually very well aged, covered with dryland moss and lichens and is usually deeply sculpted from years and years of wind erosion. I pay .10 per pound for those. For smaller irregular stones of the same type they will be around .06 per pound. Installation prices are based on accessability and hourly rates for delivery and setting.

ANC Stone Creations
07-14-2008, 06:13 PM
FF You may also get hand picked specialty from the quarry with lichens and moss.
All different types of specialty rock, the only difference is you are paying .06 - .10 lb=$120-$200 ton wow thats alot, if it is for the rock in the picture.

I pay around $55 ton for that same sort of rock.
The only problem with that type of rock is it will not match most existing landscape rock at most customers properties.

Do the math:

Quarry = .0125 - .0275 per lb $25 - $55 ton

Stone yard = .06 - .10 per lb $120 - $200 ton

The problem is every time someone handles the product the price has to increase ie: delivery to yard, sales people and also dont forget about the fancy displays at your local stone yard to help sale the products.

One last point I would like to make is quarries are usually open earlier and it is a fast process to get in and get what you need and get onto the job.

You may also hand pick at the quarry.

Lite4
07-14-2008, 08:09 PM
We just don't have stone quarries here. I wish we did. All we have is rock yards. The guy I use only sells to contractors and his prices are actually pretty good around here for what you get. Most stone yards around here that deal with the public are charging between .20-.27 per lb. for the same stone.

ANC Stone Creations
07-14-2008, 08:55 PM
ff have you tried quarries around Plains, Montana?

They have some awesome rusty tones and also specialty stone with tons of lichens and weathered well.

I use tons and tons of the specialty and flagstone they have, Montana stone seems to be a little more than any other stone, drives the project prices up.

Lite4
07-15-2008, 02:23 AM
Why would I drive to a quarry in Montana to pick up stone? Wouldn't that defeat the purpose of having a local quarry? I could understand ordering a couple truck loads, but with the price of fuel nowdays, you would get killed in freight. Better off to stay with local stone for smaller quantities.