PDA

View Full Version : This one is for you Wet Boots

TPendagast
07-10-2008, 06:50 PM
So I finally found a set of your Richdel 204s (the other ones in the other thread were a mixture of weathermatics and older irrtriols)
I have three of them,
The solenoids were either bad or in one case the solenoid threads were bad so the solenoid would not stay IN the valve.

So I replace all the solenoids with new irritrols, it works on 2 of the 3 valves.
The other valve I cant get to open now at all, even when I take th solenoid all the way out of the valve...it wont open, but I have had it open before.

Doesnt matter which irritrol solenoid I put on it or even if i try the old irritrol.
I can't get guts or parts for the richdel... sooo If I open it and there ISNT some peice of something stuck in it, what are my options?
I had this dang valve opened ealier (manually), and I thought it had something to do with the solenoid, but aparently not.

Wet_Boots
07-10-2008, 08:40 PM
Does it still open manually?

(P.S. - You might want to shrink the equipment list signature, or just uncheck the option to display it, as they seem to have an inhibiting effect on receiving advice in this neck of the woods. I leave off my football brag in other forums)

TPendagast
07-10-2008, 09:55 PM
I dont know what a football brag is.

It did open manually. It's original solenoid leaked and was difficult to turn off.
My assitant over tightened it at one point and I think stripped the thread on the solenoid, in an attempt to get it to stop leaking. But after that it wouldn't stay on.
I ordered the replacement solenoids, an a few days later (today) tried to get it to work.
Like I said the other two (zones 1 and 3) work fine. This one wont go on now manually, OR automatically, I can turn the bleed screw or solenoid. I can remove the solenoid, nada.... I t should just roar.

I did get to open manually once today, but then not again...so it's semi intermittant.
There has been no line repairs, or anyway that would have gotten some debris in the line.
I really don't want to replace this dang valve as the valve box basically serves are an edge to a brick walk. the genious that put it in has one of those "condos" going on with three valves in some crazy over under configuration.
This particular valve fortunately can unscrew (I think) as it was installed with male threaded PVC bushings (provided it isnt so old it wont work/unscrew properly)
However, if the size of the replacement valve (like a rain bird dvf) isnt the right dimensions, I wont be ablde to hot swap, causing me to dig up walkway to make new connections.
I was thinking of swapping guts of valve 2 with valve 1 which is actually accessible, and I could pretty much glue in another valve (Like a rain bird) pretty easily, BUT althought it looks the same as valve 2 and 3 (the lower ones) it is not green, its grey and the number 204 is not written in the center.
Same valve different year of manufacture? or slightly different valve? will the diaphram swap work?

Wet_Boots
07-10-2008, 10:36 PM
You might have to replace the diaphragm assembly. There's a point in the life of a 204 where it might open by way of the bleed screw, but not by the solenoid, due to a crack (soon to be a break) of the plastic 'bolt' that holds the diaphragm assembly together.

By the way, when you install a new Irritrol solenoid on an old Richdel valve, you remove the white plastic keeper from around the plunger. That can make a difference as far as not opening when the solenoid is energized.

The R204 diaphragm assemblies are easy to get.

TPendagast
07-10-2008, 11:58 PM
You might have to replace the diaphragm assembly. There's a point in the life of a 204 where it might open by way of the bleed screw, but not by the solenoid, due to a crack (soon to be a break) of the plastic 'bolt' that holds the diaphragm assembly together.

By the way, when you install a new Irritrol solenoid on an old Richdel valve, you remove the white plastic keeper from around the plunger. That can make a difference as far as not opening when the solenoid is energized.

The R204 diaphragm assemblies are easy to get.

Yes I know about removing the keeper, If I hadn't the other zones wouldnt work right now.

Where do I get diaphram assemblies for richdel 204? Local dealer says does not exist.

Wet_Boots
07-11-2008, 02:58 AM
Local dealer is full of prunes. If they won't order you a bag of five diaphragm assemblies, you can always just buy Irritrol 205 valves, and get a solenoid and diaphragm, and chuck the rest.

FIMCO-MEISTER
07-11-2008, 06:30 AM
Boots is the 204 the same as the 205? I know they came out with a valve similar in appearance to the 205 but they are not interchangeable. We buy those 205s all day here. Most common valve and repair we run into. For the numbers out there it is a great valve.

Wet_Boots
07-11-2008, 06:36 AM
The 2500 is the looks-like-but-isn't valve. Not sure why they didn't keep the 204 model number, since 205 was the flow-control version of the 204.

Wet_Boots
07-11-2008, 07:41 AM
By the way, if you ever do use the 2500TF valve, as I have as a master valve on high-pressure systems, it uses a different diaphragm assembly than the jar-top.

Tom Tom
07-11-2008, 08:56 AM
Boots is the 204 the same as the 205? I know they came out with a valve similar in appearance to the 205 but they are not interchangeable. We buy those 205s all day here. Most common valve and repair we run into. For the numbers out there it is a great valve.

I believe the 205 is the flow control version of the 204

Tom Tom
07-11-2008, 08:59 AM
So I finally found a set of your Richdel 204s (the other ones in the other thread were a mixture of weathermatics and older irrtriols)
I have three of them,
The solenoids were either bad or in one case the solenoid threads were bad so the solenoid would not stay IN the valve.

So I replace all the solenoids with new irritrols, it works on 2 of the 3 valves.
The other valve I cant get to open now at all, even when I take th solenoid all the way out of the valve...it wont open, but I have had it open before.

Doesnt matter which irritrol solenoid I put on it or even if i try the old irritrol.
I can't get guts or parts for the richdel... sooo If I open it and there ISNT some peice of something stuck in it, what are my options?
I had this dang valve opened ealier (manually), and I thought it had something to do with the solenoid, but aparently not.

The 205 will bolt up in place of the 204. Try your local Ewing distributor

Wet_Boots
07-11-2008, 09:01 AM
I believe the 205 is the flow control version of the 204There's an echo here :)

The old 204 got renamed 205, and the old 205 got renamed 205F. Clear as mud, eh?

TPendagast
07-11-2008, 10:22 PM
No Ewing Dealer here.
I'm In Idaho. No Ewing:wall
But I suppose if I was desperate, I used to have a very good freind who ran a ewing in Grand Junction, Colorado when I was working there, and He said he'd send me anyting I wanted.
Funny thing is, when I was in GJ I worked on 50x more systems than I do here, and never even saw and/or heard of richdel.
Wierd huh?
This is the only one IVe seen and it's easily 20 years old.

Its pretty funny Wet boots was talking abut Richdels in another thread and then the next week I find them.

soeaking of weird crap, I found a lawn genie head today...wassup with that? is that some home cheapo version of a maxipaw?

Wet_Boots
07-11-2008, 11:02 PM
Hey, you can always phone Toro, and they can connect you with a dealer. Obviously, there will be internet selling of both Irritrol parts and the 205 valves.

irrig8r
07-11-2008, 11:05 PM
I bet the closest Ewing to you is in Spokane, WA.

I've got relatives in Riggins who just retired from selling for years at the farmer's market in McCall. My aunt's "Dilly Beans" ended up on some menu for a dinner for George Bush after his chef shopped there.

Waterit
07-12-2008, 01:16 AM
soeaking of weird crap, I found a lawn genie head today...wassup with that? is that some home cheapo version of a maxipaw?

Yup. Ranks right down there with Water Whiz.

TPendagast
07-13-2008, 03:57 PM
I know the whole team at the Grand junction Ewing store.
I'd get better service from them than spokane, who would be like who?
I was a large customerfor Ewing, and I still call them for bids occasionally, they can UPS me stuff. Ill probably order form them.