PDA

View Full Version : what a surprise

greenmonster304
07-10-2008, 09:30 PM
So I get a call from a guy today who said he got my # from the supply house managerand would like me to come over and give an estimate so I agree to stop by around 4:00. i figure its Johnny homeowner that needs a head moved or at best adding a zone.

So much to my delight when I pull through the gates I see a beautiful 1850's farm house on 2 acres +/-. So I find the guy and we start to walk around the property. He shows me the 1400' of privet that needs netafim, and the foundation beds that need 30 sprays, and the turf area that needs about 85 rotory heads. He shows me the front lawn which is would need at least another 80 heads but he he says he doesn't want irrigation on it because the grass has been there for 150 years and is always green (I told him we could make provisions to add this area later if he changes his mind).

Then he tells me to work up a number for him and if there is any question on what products to use, "use the best". So I pose this question to you guys what products would you propose?

proposed well: 3 hp VFD pump capable of about 40-50 gpm

irritation
07-10-2008, 09:43 PM
I would talk him out of irrigating it and leave it as close as possible to original.
Water the annuals by hand.

Mike Leary
07-10-2008, 09:51 PM
[QUOTE=greenmonster304;24130
Then he tells me to work up a number for him and if there is any question on what products to use, "use the best". So I pose this question to you guys what products would you propose[/QUOTE]

Not seeing any pics is hard to say. You gotta do a c.s. design first.

Wet_Boots
07-10-2008, 09:56 PM
Don't laugh, but with that lind of supply, I would be wondering about stream rotor heads, if best is really what's wanted. The venerable Toro 300 won't even spray 30 feet, so that can mean a lot of heads. I would bet hard money that your Toro supplier would know nearly nothing about the 300's big brother, the XP-300, which uses a 4-nozzle turret, and sprays around 35 feet. The stream rotor heads are extra-reliable, because the gear drive never reverses, and it's a stainless steel 'arc disc' under the nozzles that determines the arc of coverage, so once installed, the pattern doesn't change.

If you have wide-open spaces, and room for 50-foot throws, then you can look at bigger rotor heads.