PDA

View Full Version : Travel Time and Lunch

BeautifulBlooms
07-11-2008, 08:38 AM
I am wondering how you guys handle lunch time if it happens to fall during travel time between jobs? We subtract 30 minutes from everyones day for lunch. On occassion we might ask the crew (just sitting and riding) to take lunch during our travel between jobs. Is it ok to do this and not pay them for the half hour? If I had a foreman I would of course pay them that travel time because they are responsible for driving, but the crew isn't doing anything work related. Any thoughts here.

P.S. all other drive time that isn't on the lunch time is paid. I am specifically curious if you allow the crew to ride along and then tak lunch or should they be required to take lunch during that travel time if it falls within a reasonable time from lunch time.

SNAPPER MAN
07-11-2008, 08:52 AM
I always pay travel time and when we eat lunch we always stop to either eat in a restaurant or take a siesta.

TforTexas
07-11-2008, 11:18 AM
What does the foreman do then, sit and take his lunch while the crew works at the next job for a half hour? That doesnt seem quite right.

topsites
07-11-2008, 12:37 PM
I am wondering how you guys handle lunch time if it happens to fall during travel time between jobs? We subtract 30 minutes from everyones day for lunch. On occassion we might ask the crew (just sitting and riding) to take lunch during our travel between jobs. Is it ok to do this and not pay them for the half hour?

All right...
So you normally pay them for travel time.
But when you stop for lunch you subtract 30 minutes.
Fine.

So, when you ask them to eat lunch in the truck while driving?
You never stop, so to be fair you pay them the whole time.
Then your supervisor has to drive, so he is allowed to eat afterwards at the next job,
but take off 30 minutes from his clock.

That way, if you stop to eat it's -30 minutes.
You may wish to consider making the supervisor position a salaried one.

bohiaa
07-12-2008, 04:51 PM
I pay for travel time and lunch....

Trust ME ........ it's a small price to pay...

on Fridays I pay for the lunches too

you want your employees heathey and happy.....

Toy2
07-12-2008, 05:30 PM
Would you like to eat and drive and not get paid for it?

If you dock them, its their time, meaning they can walk away from the job for 30 minutes.

If a crash while driving were to happen, you would lose in court big time, just pay them!!!

lawnmogul
07-13-2008, 02:55 PM
Bohiaa i like your style i am in Dallas pm me i would like to get your opioion on a few things.Thank You.

Az Gardener
07-13-2008, 03:39 PM
I think the whole lunch while driving thing has been covered. I would just add that if your crew has time to eat a lunch and relax a bit between jobs while driving you may want to consider tightening up your route or charging for travel time. JMHO

HOOLIE
07-13-2008, 05:22 PM
On those occasions where you want them to 'eat and ride', what I would do...don't deduct any time for lunch AND tell the crew leader (driver) that you'll pay him an hour extra for sucking it up and eating and driving.

StBalor
07-13-2008, 05:43 PM
My employees get paid from the the time i tell them to be at my house,
6:30am monday thru Sat. 7:00am on sundays till we finish our last yard. They are getting paid while eating lunch, usually subway, Mcdonalds or whatever is close. I usually pay for their meals twice a week and treat them to breakfast on sundays. Last week it was Bob evans. Sometimes i stop and buy them a snowball on the way home. I am really lucky this year as i have 3 guys 1 being my 16 year old son that really work hard while at work. So i try and keep them happy.

greendoctor
07-14-2008, 02:28 AM
Most of you, I would go the extra mile for if I were your employee. A few run things like a third world sweat shop. That kind of management policy would fit in very well here in Hawaii. Another reason why I am now self employed. I do not work as hard as I do to have my lunch hour turn into some kind of deduction. Although I should not be too hard on any of you. At least you let your guys go for lunch. In these parts, while the boss/company managers are sitting down to a hot meal, their employess are eating a cold lunch they may get food poisoning from and that hour is deducted from their pay.