PDA

View Full Version : First time using a walkbehind of any size

Rich's landscaping
07-11-2008, 06:20 PM
I wanted to find out everyones experiance the first time they used a walkbehind and how long it took for them to get used to it.
Im new to the game and never really used one...everyone ive spoken to says you get used to it.

cgaengineer
07-11-2008, 08:27 PM
I would say you will get the hang of it in a few months...when I first got mine I scalped everything, now I am much better a year later. I still misread terrain from time to time but overall I fair pretty well. I know I learned right away not to do a 360 turn without keeping the inboard tire spinning!

David Thompson
07-11-2008, 08:29 PM
The very first time I used a friends walk behind mower was interesting. He didnt bother to tell me that he had rigged the safety switches so when I let go of the handles the mower just kept on cutting and we ended up replacing the bed of annuals that I mowed and stomped on while trying to stop the machine.
David

Itzkcatz
07-11-2008, 10:56 PM
I guess it depends on what type of mower u have.

mountainmowinman
07-13-2008, 11:14 PM
My first was with my brother-in-laws pistol grip Bobcat that had the controls adjusted way to tight. My wrist killed me after that. All take some time to learn but just think of the time you are saving, and the money you will be making (hopefully).

dura to the max
07-13-2008, 11:25 PM
the first time i used one i was 14 and had just bought it. noone taught me anything about running it, and i was cutting straight lines in 10 minutes, i grew up on the farm runing equipment though. it didnt take me too long to learn how to not scalp, but like anyone i still have a few issues.

STIHL GUY
07-14-2008, 03:38 PM
i picked it up on the first day but not before i learned not to let only one pistol lever go

DLAWNS
07-14-2008, 03:49 PM
I picked it up in the first couple of days, but a few months to really get good with it.

81Bronk36
07-14-2008, 08:58 PM
My first was also a bobcat... ran it up under a blue spruce tree, ran it up a pole and put 3 horizontal dents in it, hit a big rock and the mower almost turned into the side of a car parked next to the grass. Later on we uncovered a family full of bunnies in the same lawn:dizzy: I would like to think I have improved since then...

KGR landscapeing
07-14-2008, 09:14 PM
20 acres of LC nursery to cut he fired it up gave me a crash course and said ur a smart kid ull get it. Sure enough my killer instincts kickd in and 7 hrs later i was done and tired. There r something you just have to learn first hand and if you have the basic idea you wont lose anything to important. just take your time and above all eles be safe

Whitey4
07-14-2008, 09:20 PM
A lot depends on whether it's a belt drive, a single hydro or a full hydro, along with the overall deck size. It's real easy to scalp turf with even a 32" fixed deck.... and doing 180's is another thing that comes with experience, but is VERY dependent on the drive system.

There is more regular maintenance on WB's, but the increase in productivity is worth it me thinks. My lawn took me 35 minutes with a 21.... and only 15 now with a 32. It isn't just the cutting width, you can mow faster with a more powerful machine. If there is excessive top growth, all the better with a WB. That extra power is a big time saver.

I've made some... er... mistakes with mine. get the throttle caught in a cable TV line attached to the house, and forget to release the left handle, I've crashed a few fences and house sidings that way! All of a sudden, the machine takes off.... and I'm in a panic, I try to hold it back.... better to let go of the operator presence/brake lever then, but easier said than done.... these things can happen fast!

In any case, I'd never go back to a smaller machine, and I like walking as opposed to a stander or a ride on. I'm 53.... and at a German festival Saturday night.... got hit on by a rather cute 27 year old! :) Truthfully, I like the extra excersize. That is not everyone's cup of tea, however!

txgrassguy
07-14-2008, 11:48 PM
No real problems with pistol grips until I tried to turn next to a limestone rocked house.
Skinned the living bejeezus out of my left hand.
Then broke my ring and pinking fingers on my right hand turning next to a wrought iron fence on the very next yard.
Good thing I drink beer with my left hand.
Fast forward eight years and I don't have a problem know - no walk behinds again just all stand on units or sit down ztrs.