PDA

View Full Version : Rethinking transportation for service calls

Lite4
07-11-2008, 08:32 PM
Well, I began looking at my receipts for gas last month. Very disapointing. Most of it was spent on running to meet clients, replace a bulb or two or to drop of literature to networking companies or perspective clients. So, I went out and bought a motorcycle today. It is an older suzuki 750, but I figuire at 60 miles per gallon I can do all of my running around for little things on this and leave the truck for demos and installs. I am going to buy on of the little pull behind cargo trailers for it. I can place bulbs, my work bag and tools, small folding shovel, and marketing literature in there. I am going to have it all painted up and logoed. You can't tell me that won't be unique driving on the road. Hopefully, the money I save in gas will pay for it in 1 season.

irrig8r
07-11-2008, 09:27 PM
Well, I began looking at my receipts for gas last month. Very disapointing. Most of it was spent on running to meet clients, replace a bulb or two or to drop of literature to networking companies or perspective clients. So, I went out and bought a motorcycle today. It is an older suzuki 750, but I figuire at 60 miles per gallon I can do all of my running around for little things on this and leave the truck for demos and installs. I am going to buy on of the little pull behind cargo trailers for it. I can place bulbs, my work bag and tools, small folding shovel, and marketing literature in there. I am going to have it all painted up and logoed. You can't tell me that won't be unique driving on the road. Hopefully, the money I save in gas will pay for it in 1 season.

I don't believe I've ever seen a motorcycle pulling a trailer... but a sidecar (http://www.motorvation.com/97spr1a.htm) might be cool... especially with a vintage style bike.

http://www.motorvation.com/97spr1wb.jpg

Chris J
07-11-2008, 10:44 PM
Tim, I'd rather see you pay the extra money for gas than expose yourself to the danger of the bike. I have been an avid biker since I was 6 years old, but when I got old and had my first child (at 36) I gained a tremendous fear of bikes. I call it common sense, while others call it sissyness. Do me a favor and ditch this idea altogether, at least until you have finished my landscape design. :laugh:

klkanders
07-12-2008, 12:00 AM
Here ya go Gregg.........Tim this could be you! :laugh:
Or the other one kinda looks like a firefly already...........can you light the back to make it glow intermittently?

Lite4
07-12-2008, 01:06 AM
This is kind of what I had in mind.

David Gretzmier
07-12-2008, 02:51 AM
You might consider saddlebags, it sounds like they would hold most of what you'd need. be careful on that bike !

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
07-12-2008, 05:54 AM
I cannot imagine doing service calls from a Motorcycle... wow you must travel light. Where will you put your associated ladders? My Service truck carries at least a 8' step and a 32' extension ladder.

Beyond that, there is some inherent risk to your idea. Gas might be expensive but how expensive is a personal injury accident with time off work? I am not being glib here at all, I rode a Yamaha FJ1200 for a dozen years and had a 600 before that.

As for the gas prices... why are your service call rates not reflecting your cost of operations? As your costs go up so do your service call rates. Don't worry, you wont receive much if any hesitation from the customers... everyone is doing it.

Have a great day.

Chris J
07-12-2008, 08:45 AM
Ha! Those things look like portable coffins! But thats a great idea. When you crash and burn they can just shovel you up and put you back in your own box and drive you to the cemetary.

Lite4
07-12-2008, 09:57 AM
James,
Not all service calls here require ladders. I don't live in the forest as you do. Mostly it is for customer contacts and general driving around. I know they can be dangerous. I used to drive them all the time, but I got rid of it when I had my first kid. I am seeing a ton more of cycles and scooters on the road this summer. Far more than I usually see and I am sure it is because of gas prices. With more of them on the road, SOME people are more aware of you. Good defensive driving skills are still needed though. I don't know, maybe it isn't a great idea. I get tired of 17 mpg for piddley driving around when I could get 50 though.

NightLightingFX
07-12-2008, 03:38 PM
Tim,
I think you might get some attention with your trailer and etc, but I have to agree with Chris and James about the safety. Not to mention the hassles of riding a motorcycle in bad weather. Get one of those smart cars and do a marketing wrap around it. There is this insurance guy in my town that has a Smart Car all pimped out for farmers insurance. I have seen the car displayed at business expos and etc. and driving around town. It caught my attention.
~Ned

Lite4
07-12-2008, 06:09 PM
I don't know if a "smart" car is any smarter than a motorcycle when it comes to safety. I could walk by and accidentally bump into the car and dent it. I would only ride the cycle in weather conducive for such activities. I mean C'mon for petes sakes, I fly helicopters. If you want to talk about danger, a stupid motorcycle is nothing compared to those.

phlandscaping
07-12-2008, 06:17 PM
I rode my bike to one estimate, only because I was already out and he wanted me to stop by then... Anyways I didn't feel very professional, and I don't feel like he took me to be professional... I didn't get the job, and that was the only time I did that. I always take a work truck to estimates so they understand that I'm not just a kid with half a$$ equipment! I do think you would win as far as uniqueness goes. Good Luck!

Mark B
07-12-2008, 11:59 PM
Well I think it is a great idea. Get your trailer lettered up and have fun out on the bike.

TPnTX
07-13-2008, 08:28 AM
I saw an advertisment last night, I think it was Progressive Insurance, where they offer Motorcycle coverage. The ad promoted quick turn around for claims specifically repairs to get you back on the road after motorcycle accident.

Who thought this up. They clearly didn't think it through. Typically if you are involved in an accident on a motorcycle getting your bike fixed in a hurry is a non issue. You probably have plenty if not an infinate amount down time on your hands.

I would not commute or ride frequently in DFW for no amount of money. People are crazy drivers or they aren't watching what they are doing. It was bad enough before. Now with wireless phones no one is watching.

irrig8r
07-13-2008, 12:07 PM
I've seen lots of alternative vehicles, Smart Cars, Zap cars etc. buzzing around here these days.

Not sure if they're any safer than a motorcycle... and I'm no sure what exactly the image they project is... "I'm green!" I guess?

There's a solar panel install company that has a small fleet of these plug-in electric cars logoed up and parked in front of their place... implying that you could power your house and your car and live "off the grid" in the middle of the suburbs...

So.... less cost to operate, green image, good marketing?

Chris J
07-13-2008, 01:21 PM
I can see where being green would be commendable among the general public and be a good thing for a business image. This brings to mind an ad I saw a while back. The guy owned a screen enclosure business, and the biggest image in the ad was a picture of his truck. It was one of those monsterous 4x4's (like an F-650 if that's a model) and it was all chromed up with huge chrome fuel tanks along the running boards. The guy was obviously proud of his ride, but I could'nt help but think his business was very wasteful and I would'nt dare hire him. My thought was that he obviously must charge a whole lot for his service to be able to afford to waste money like that.
My thoughts could have been way off base, but that was the initial impression I received. I also have to shake my head every time I see one of these landscape crews driving around in F-350 duelies pulling a 6x10 open trailer with a lawn mower or two in the back of it. Seems like such over kill, but around here it seems to be a status symbol more than a necessity.

Lite4
07-13-2008, 02:00 PM
Must be a nation wide status symbol having an obnoxiously large vehicle. Funny though, I am not seeing as many anymore. Either they are out of work or out of business. I guess they should have put more money in savings instead of in new wheels and a lift for the truck. :hammerhead:

The Lighting Geek
07-13-2008, 04:11 PM
I think your idea of using a motorcycle and a trailer is a very good one. Everyone is looking for a way to save on gas. Everyone is paying attention to what everyone else is doing to save on gas. If you are careful and you can get the graphics to work for you, everyone will pay attention. In any other economic time you would be chastised, now everyone will recognize your company and your resourcefulness. You need to take it all the way and have some fun with it. People will talk to you at stop lights, trust me, it happens all the time to us. I think a glowing rear end like a firefly would be a hoot!

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
07-13-2008, 11:51 PM
I mean C'mon for petes sakes, I fly helicopters.

Now if only they would install helicopter landing zones in more communities!

A couple of years ago I was up in a client's Cesna. I could not believe how quickly we got from our home lake to my client's cottages. Places that would take me 25 mins to drive to we were over in 5 mins. Places that take me over 1 hour to drive to we were over in 10 mins. It got me to thinking about actually getting into a small airplane. The travel time savings alone would cover the cost of operations.... and it would be pretty cool to be the 'flying lighting guy'.

I think a glowing rear end like a firefly would be a hoot!

Only a great creative, entreprenurial mind like Tommy's would think of this! :)

klkanders
07-14-2008, 12:23 AM
Only a great creative, entreprenurial mind like Tommy's would think of this! :)

Why Thank You, I will accept that compliment!
It would be an honor to be compared with Tommy in any way! Please see end of post #4. :laugh:

Keith

Lite4
07-14-2008, 12:39 AM
During my Helo training we would land in friends back yards and sand bars in narrow river basins. Can't do that with a cessna. I am afraid though if I were to land a helicopter on someones driveway for an estimate they may be bracing themselves for a large sticker shock. :laugh:
The coolest thing was on a saturday we flew from the airport about 1 mile south of my house to a large reservoir with 400' deep sheer canyon walls. It is about a 2 hour drive from the airport. We covered it in 20 minutes. We landed at a cabin right on the lake edge. He was another one of the flight instructors and he had invited us for some steaks. We chowed some steaks, shot some guns and took off back for town about 2 hours later. The freedom to land just about anywhere is what really sold me on the helos. Plus they are just flippin fun to fly. There is just nothing quite like vertical flight.

The Lighting Geek
07-14-2008, 11:10 AM
...........can you light the back to make it glow intermittently?

I must give credit to Keith, he also mentioned the idea. I think a firefly costume at home shows would be the bomb.

NightScenes
07-14-2008, 04:03 PM
I think the firefly costume would be a little tooooo geeky.

klkanders
07-14-2008, 06:32 PM
Thanks Tommy! You are a geekman and a scholar! :)