PDA

View Full Version : A pondless waterfall

ANC Stone Creations
07-12-2008, 01:01 AM
Let me know what you guys think.

As you may notice in the pictures, I choose not to use a kit as I don't think the spill ways on them look natural and also hard to hide.

This one is at my house, front yard and it took about 3-4 hrs to build.
The falls are about 39" wide and only fall about 22" I used a 45mil rubber firestone liner w/8oz underlayment, 4 cans of waterfall foam ( Rockin-foam ) 1 cal pump 5200 gph and plumbed w/ 1 1/2" flex pipe and custom pump chamber with adjustable valve to the waterfall and an additional valve for a clean-out via tee.

Be honest let me know what you think about it.
Like to to hear what people have to say + or -

phlandscaping
07-12-2008, 07:16 PM
I like it, they look really good on corner lots right at the corner of two sidewalks! Looks like it's going to go over the sidewalk...

ANC Stone Creations
07-12-2008, 09:03 PM
My next project for pondless application is going to be a 80' x 3' creek with waterfalls and step downs through out the creek.

I will be using a cal pump 7500 gph ( Torpedo ) the water should be flowing pretty good around 6000 gph at the top of the falls.

Venturewest
07-13-2008, 07:47 AM
Looks really good. I like how your falls looks natural, not just some uniform steps or flagstone. Good job.

Venturewest
07-13-2008, 07:50 AM
The one thing I would change a little is on the burm around the top of the feature. I would take out a lot of the rock on the sides, add more topsoil to give a more gradual slope, and then add rocks here and there so it doesnt look like a pile so to speak. Also if you could find even 3 rocks twice as big as any other in the feature and use them it would help.

Lite4
07-13-2008, 02:10 PM
You should have used 2" pipe. You are not getting you full flow potential. In other words.... You wasted money buying a bigger pump by limiting how much water it could push through the pipe. You have minimal head pressure there. A 5200 gph pump equates to roughly 86 gpm. Check your pipe flow charts, 2" needed for full capacity flow. Always go with larger diameter pipe, especially when dealing with low pressure, high volume pumps. It puts less back pressure on the pump and prolongs life.
That being said though, I like how you incorportated aquatics and terrestrials into the falls and edges. This will grow in a look very nice in about a years time and will soften the hard lines between where the waterfall ends the landscape beds begin.

ANC Stone Creations
07-13-2008, 03:31 PM
That's funny you mentioned the 2" pipe because I have some laying around and I was thinking the exact same thing.

On the next pondless stream I had mentioned I will be using a 4" flex pipe.

Oh and I do plan on bringing in some topsoil and mulch for around the feature as well as some larger stones around it.
Wanted to do some outcroppings, out with the sod in with the rocks.

I will attach another feature with larger stone.

ANC Stone Creations
07-13-2008, 04:14 PM
Here is another waterfalls I built it is about 8' tall and about 7' wide it is pondless with a 65' stream.

Let me know what you guys think of this one, this one only took 3 days.
It is pumping around 6000 gph.

Lite4
07-13-2008, 06:32 PM
Too many small stones for my taste but that is just my opinion. I use large boulders when building mine. Everybody paints their portraits differently.

ANC Stone Creations
07-14-2008, 03:49 AM
This was actually a waterfall renovation, they had a trickle to start with and they allready had that size of rock I had to match.

The other thing I did not care to much for is all the different type of rock mixed.
Looked like they got some rocks for free over here and there friends gave them some from over there ( who knows ) lol

I too like to use larger rock on my projects, even if I wanted to use larger rock would not have been able to use mini excavator because of access and also septic issues, and most of the crane companies are at 30 days out.

I will post some pictures of an upcoming project we plan to use 3-5 man rock ( nice ) just waiting on design work and permits at the moment, should be with in 1-2 months I hope.

ANC Stone Creations
07-14-2008, 04:20 AM
Here is another feature but with larger granite rocks.

What do you guys think?

7500 gph with 3" line.

Lite4
07-14-2008, 10:02 AM
Much better ANC. I like your use of the larger granite boulders. It looks much more natural. I like granite but I don't get to work with them too much. We mostly have Quartzitic sandstone and basalt here. We do have some formations about an hour north of here. These pics were of a "granite" job I did about 5 hours north in the Coeur'd lane Idaho area.

ANC Stone Creations
07-14-2008, 05:40 PM
Nice work ff I like your style for water features.

Do you design your own jobs?

I design about 98% of my own jobs, maybe 2% of the time the customer allready has a designer from their builder.
Most of the designers I have delt with have never actually built anything themself, looks great on paper, but usually not practical for actual design.

What is the industry like in Idaho?

Washington seems to keep me busy, I work mostly in Bellevue, Madina, Clyde Hill, Yarrow Point, Redmond and Kirkland just to name a few.

Most of the residents I install for are all high high end estate homes probably 3 million and up.

I know one house I did a bunch of landscape design and construction on Lake Washington was at $90 million last I heard, and they were not finished with it yet.

Was not able to take any pictures of that project per contract, also had to go to a safe room when the chopper would come in.

Lite4
07-14-2008, 06:59 PM
Thanks ANC. I don't do much landscaping anymore. Pretty much just lighting now except for the ocassional project I can hand pick that looks like it would be fun. Typically business in Boise has been nuts in the past 10 years. We have experienced insanely large growth here. I think If you were to combine all of the Treasure valley, we would be around 1 million. My lighting allows me to service Boise, Tamarack, McCall, Sun Valley and towns in between.
I always have designed my own landscapes and waterfeatures. I work in tandem with the homeowners to craft a space they would enjoy.
I am glad to hear you are doing well there in Washington. I used to live in Centralia and Olympia and I miss that part of the state a lot. When I moved to Boise, I read that they call this the city of trees. I about fell over laughing after having lived in the coastal rainforests of Washington and Oregon. Oh well, I guess there is vacations still huh.

ANC Stone Creations
07-14-2008, 07:24 PM
Firefly have you worked much with fiber optics?

Currently I have been using Berkey supply in Woodinville, Washington for all of my lighting needs.

You should google "Filtrific" system for ponds as well as pondless, and they have contractor pricing.
This system will leave you speachless as well as the home-owner, best product by far hands down I have ever used.

And I have tried just about all of them, all of the other guys just copy each others designs and put a different name on it, thats why they are all pretty much the same.

Just by looking at the system you can tell it is by far better than most ( dude they parked a Toyota pickup on top of their system half a day and no problems at all, that's good stuff ) Lets see other companies do that to their products lol

Anyways, check it out sometime.