PDA

View Full Version : Tires on trailers

fivestarlawnken
01-13-2002, 02:25 AM
Wanted to start a thread, and see how many outfits run trailer tires or truck tires on their trailers?Is the major diff between trailer and truck tires- ply and overall weight handling?Give me your thoughts and knowledge and past experiences!:cool:

KDJ
01-13-2002, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by fivestarlawnken
Wanted to start a thread, and see how many outfits run trailer tires or truck tires on their trailers?Is the major diff between trailer and truck tires- ply and overall weight handling?Give me your thoughts and knowledge and past experiences!:cool:

If you are running 13'',14'',or 15'' tires you will run trailer tires or auto tires. The load rating will be less on the auto tires.

16'' tires are truck tires and no trailer tires are offered.
These tires come in load range D & E.

I run 16'' load range E on my trailer.

David Haggerty
01-13-2002, 11:51 AM
Kelly-Springfield Safari 7.50x16 LT load range D
They're a highway tire, for extra mileage.
I have a 20' single wheel, tandem axel trailer. 12,000# GVWR
I needed load range E, but my trailer didn't have the clearance.

These are doing OK. I keep the pressure at 60 PSI and I don't go that far that fast.
My farthest client that needs the full load of mowers is just 20 miles away.

Dave

Mowingman
01-13-2002, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by KDJ

16'' tires are truck tires and no trailer tires are offered.
These tires come in load range D & E.

I don't understand this statement. I just purchased 7.50x16 Carlisle trailer tires for my 18' trailer. They say "For trailer use only".
I use "trailer tires" only on my trailers, as I find they last a lot longer than car or truck tires. My tire dealer says they use different rubber in them so they will withstand scuffing from turning better than other tires do.

:)

65hoss
01-13-2002, 08:23 PM
I run the Carlisle trailer tires on my 18'. They have lasted several years.

The 14' trailer I ran last year had used Goodyear all terrain tires and they didn't last very long. The turning with all the weight wore them out real fast.

Mowingman
01-13-2002, 08:47 PM
65hoss,
Yes, I have had the same results. I am a big believer in the Carlisle tires!:D

LJ lawn
01-13-2002, 11:06 PM
i use regular 14" car tires in my trailer.i just can't see spending $75 a tire for the "trailer only" tires.i have a pile of good used tires that i keep just for spares for my landscape trailer.

lawnmark
01-13-2002, 11:44 PM
fivestarlawnken, as long as you have a single axle trailer you can run any tire that you want(at least in my experience). the problem that i ran into is with a 2 axle, it seems that they really pick up nails and screws because they tend to turn against each other.

KDJ
01-14-2002, 12:14 AM
Originally posted by Mowingman

I don't understand this statement. I just purchased 7.50x16 Carlisle trailer tires for my 18' trailer. They say "For trailer use only".
I use "trailer tires" only on my trailers, as I find they last a lot longer than car or truck tires. My tire dealer says they use different rubber in them so they will withstand scuffing from turning better than other tires do.

What do you mean to dont understand this statement?
What you mean is you dont agree, Right?

7.50 x 16 is this nylon built tire? What is the cost?

Mowingman
01-14-2002, 09:40 AM
KDJ,
You stated "16 inch tires are truck tires and no trailer tires are offered.". I took this to mean that you were saying no company produces a 16" tire specificly for use on trailers.
I have to pick up my bill at the store today, so I'll let you know what the cost is when I find out. My other trailers use 15", so these are the first 16" I have purchased.

sdwally
01-14-2002, 10:30 AM
We order tires that are mainly specifically for trailers. The most important thing is that you have the correct load range rating for your trailer tires.
If you have a double axle trailer rated at 8000gvw and four tires that are rated at 1250lbs then your trailer will only be legal for 5000gvw. GVW includes the weight of the trailer, therefore you have lost 3000lbs of hauling weight.
It may not be important now, however the first accident you are involved in, you could be possibly at fault due to your under rated tires.

HBFOXJr
01-14-2002, 07:53 PM
I found out by practical experience that new tires are more resistant to picking up nails that cause flats. Used and worn tires were always picking up road junk. New tires are worth th bucks.

BISHOP
01-14-2002, 07:58 PM
15" tires on my lil' trailor (5 *10)
works well-

bishop:alien:

Mowingman
01-14-2002, 09:33 PM
KDJ,
Price on new 7.50x16 "Carlisle Trailer Tire" is $85.13 each. This includes mounting, balancing, and tax. They are load range "D" and are 10 ply.:)

walker-talker
01-15-2002, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by Mowingman
KDJ,
Price on new 7.50x16 "Carlisle Trailer Tire" is $85.13 each. This includes mounting, balancing, and tax. They are load range "D" and are 10 ply.:)

How many miles are those rated at?

Mowingman
01-15-2002, 02:00 PM
I don't know how many miles they are rated for, I have never looked into that. I do know that the 15" Carlisle tires on my 2 axle,16',high-side landscape trailer are lasting about 25,000 miles. This trailer is always heavily loaded with equipment and a 25 gal. fuel tank and twists and turns around neighborhood streets all day long. :)

ADA
01-16-2002, 01:26 AM
First of all 10 ply should be load range E. It really does not matter how many plies that are in the tires . The number of plies goes back MANY years to how many layers of fabric ie. Cotton, Rayon, that were in the tire. They rotted with age. Then came Nylon it bumped still used # of plies. Now most use poyester no bump no rot. We have gotten asway from ply ratings now. Some 2 ply tires now have the same strength of old 10 ply tires. Modern ratings are now load ratings rather than straight number of plies. For those that care old 2ply= A 4 ply=B 6ply=C 8=d 10=e 12=F 14=g How much weight a tire will hold is the key and that it is expressed as load rating. That is the key. But the real kicker here is different sizes of the same load range will carry different weights. Check the side of the tires and it will be on the sidewall. Carlisle makes two qualities of trailer tires I think one is called USA Trail and the other just Trail.The same "SIZE" tire is actually different sizes( if you put them side by side) I guess there rulers are broke . But that is not that unusual in tires.There is a good bit of difference actually. Single axle trailers will not have scuff. Double axle will have more scuff when turning. Just like anything you will generally get what you pay for. I agree that new tires generally have fewer punctures and you will get more flats on the rear of tandem trailers. However you should get more miles out of radial tires( does not matter if auto or truck) PROVIDED that they are the proper load carrying capacity{ its on the side of the tire) than bias ply trailer tires. Check air pressure often. If you get better service out of trailer tires by all means stay with them. In my experience ( I am a tire dealer) most people want to compare the very cheapest auto tire , overloaded with a heavier trailer tire. Just match load capacity and proper tire pressure ----SIMPLE

ADA
01-16-2002, 01:36 AM
First of all 10 ply should be load range E. It really does not matter how many plies that are in the tires . The number of plies goes back MANY years to how many layers of fabric ie. Cotton, Rayon, that were in the tire. They rotted with age. Then came Nylon it bumped still used # of plies. Now most use poyester no bump no rot. We have gotten asway from ply ratings now. Some 2 ply tires now have the same strength of old 10 ply tires. Modern ratings are now load ratings rather than straight number of plies. For those that care old 2ply= A 4 ply=B 6ply=C 8=d 10=e 12=F 14=g How much weight a tire will hold is the key and that it is expressed as load rating. That is the key. But the real kicker here is different sizes of the same load range will carry different weights. Check the side of the tires and it will be on the sidewall. Carlisle makes two qualities of trailer tires I think one is called USA Trail and the other just Trail.The same "SIZE" tire is actually different sizes( if you put them side by side) I guess there rulers are broke . But that is not that unusual in tires.There is a good bit of difference actually. Single axle trailers will not have scuff. Double axle will have more scuff when turning. Just like anything you will generally get what you pay for. I agree that new tires generally have fewer punctures and you will get more flats on the rear of tandem trailers. However you should get more miles out of radial tires( does not matter if auto or truck) PROVIDED that they are the proper load carrying capacity{ its on the side of the tire) than bias ply trailer tires. Check air pressure often. If you get better service out of trailer tires by all means stay with them. In my experience ( I am a tire dealer) most people want to compare the very cheapest auto tire , overloaded with a heavier trailer tire. Just match load capacity and proper tire pressure ----SIMPLE

Mowingman
01-16-2002, 09:31 AM
ADA,
You are right, mine do say load range "E". I was mistaken.:(