PDA

View Full Version : need pruning advice on young pine tree

redmax fan
07-12-2008, 12:14 PM
young white pine bought at lowes this spring at about 4' with about a 24" root ball . and in the 3 months since weve had alot of rain and the main trunk has sprouted up near 24" very quickly and this morning i noticed that recent 24" quick trunk growth at tree top has become so supple it couldnt stand its own weight and bent right over vertical to the ground . so i was thinking give it a stake support / prune it / let it go ?

its in very rich soil / full sun , and i lightly fertilized it with simple / basic fertilizer a month ago . and was well watered til past 3 weeks when ive let it go because weve been getting at least 2 decent rains per week .

White Gardens
07-12-2008, 12:26 PM
I've honestly never seen a pine tree that has been staked before. I wouldn't think you would have to. Give it a little time, between the wind, rain, ect, it should get stronger over time. I've seen a lot of plants and trees bend after a hard rain, or wind, and it bounces back about the time I think I need to do something with it.

Somebody might chime in who has more experiences with a pine.

It's awesome your getting good growth out of your tree. I've had bad experiences with pine trees from lowes.

redmax fan
07-12-2008, 12:36 PM
I've honestly never seen a pine tree that has been staked before. I wouldn't think you would have to. Give it a little time, between the wind, rain, ect, it should get stronger over time. I've seen a lot of plants and trees bend after a hard rain, or wind, and it bounces back about the time I think I need to do something with it.

Somebody might chime in who has more experiences with a pine.

It's awesome your getting good growth out of your tree. I've had bad experiences with pine trees from lowes.

i had bad experiences with my first several 3' to 4' evergreens i was buying for my yard from homedepot and lowes every spring . then this one i kept the burlap root wrapping on in order that i didnt disturb the roots and its thriving . i left the first 4" or so of the burlap at trunk above ground as my planting depth . i just removed the nails and twine from the burlap once i got it into hole .

thanx for the input .

redmax fan
07-12-2008, 12:39 PM
ps - i didnt mean that 4" of the entire root ball is above ground ,
just 4" out from the trunk in both directions you can see the top of the burlaped root ball .

PSUturf
07-12-2008, 02:50 PM
Don't prune it. You will eliminate the central leader and ruin the shape of the tree. Stake if needed.

redmax fan
07-12-2008, 03:28 PM
Don't prune it. You will eliminate the central leader and ruin the shape of the tree. Stake if needed.

thanx for the advice , that makes sense and i sure wouldnt
want to butcher the tree up by cutting off the peak .

BostonBull
07-12-2008, 10:37 PM
Was it actual burlap or the plastic style burlap the junk box stores use?

Dont prune it, it will grow taller and stronger.

Any pictures? Pictures are priceless when it comes to helping you.

redmax fan
07-14-2008, 12:37 AM
Was it actual burlap or the plastic style burlap the junk box stores use?

Dont prune it, it will grow taller and stronger.

Any pictures? Pictures are priceless when it comes to helping you.

its real burlap , and thanx for pruning advice .
and though right now my cameras
malfunctioning so cant photo the main trunk that
was bent over is back standing after i straightend
it out and heavily watered tree past 2 days .

Isobel
07-14-2008, 01:53 AM
while i've never seen a pine staked, I can't see what the problem would be. Stake it.

BostonBull
07-14-2008, 05:46 AM
Water it deeply and INfrequently. 1-2 times a week with no rain, and maybe once a week with rain. This will force the roots to go deeper for nutrients and become stronger.

Take the stakes of, if you put them on, withing 3-6 months. They are not good for the trees roots. Trees need to sway in the wind a little to grow compression wood in the trunk and limbs and to develop deeper stronger roots.

Good Luck!

AGLA
07-14-2008, 07:07 AM
It is not collapsing from its own weight. It is wilting. It might be wilting because it has a pine borer or because it is not getting enough water.

The exposed burlap under the tree can wick the water out to the air which keeps water movement from the surrounding soil to the root ball from happening. You should, at minimum, expose the top of the rootball and cut off the burlap and then re-bury it.

Smallaxe
07-14-2008, 08:51 AM
It is also generally a good idea to mulch after removing the surface burlap.

The pines will straighten up over time, however it could easily have a crook in it as a relsult. Stake with a stick that runs from the stronger trunk to the top of the new growth, much like a splint. Just to be safe from a offset trunk in years to come.

BostonBull
07-14-2008, 07:02 PM
Lets see some pictures before making recommendations.

Wood borers? You got that from his post with no pics? Youre GOOD!