PDA

View Full Version : Something was Burning

Keegan
07-12-2008, 02:58 PM
I saw something weird the other day.

I went to the backyard of a customer and as soon I walked back there I smelled something burning. I started looking around and saw nothing. So I kept going and when I came back near the gate I smelled it again. Finally I saw it. Thier mulch along the house was smoldering pretty good.
I knocked on the door and their dog sitter answers and said her friend just had the same thing happen.
The funny thing is she asks me what she should do. I was like do you have a bucket of water or hose? DUH!!

Ever hear of this sorta thing?:blob2:

JB1
07-12-2008, 04:48 PM
I saw something weird the other day.

I went to the backyard of a customer and as soon I walked back there I smelled something burning. I started looking around and saw nothing. So I kept going and when I came back near the gate I smelled it again. Finally I saw it. Thier mulch along the house was smoldering pretty good.
I knocked on the door and their dog sitter answers and said her friend just had the same thing happen.
The funny thing is she asks me what she should do. I was like do you have a bucket of water or hose? DUH!!

Ever hear of this sorta thing?:blob2:

yes, but it usually has help.

44DCNF
07-12-2008, 05:26 PM
fireworks....

Jason Rose
07-12-2008, 05:36 PM
I've seen this happen too! I too thought it was sponteanous, and YES that CAN happen... But I also think I, or actually my mower was probably the cause. I had just mowed around the perimeter of this lawn and had 6 homes in a row to do. 10 or 15 minutes later I was in the back part and I smelled smoke. I knew this was not right so I went around to investigate. Sure enough there was a 2 to 3 foot circle of mulch, and a poor new fountian grass, that was black and smoldering. No visible flames but it was burning, could see it progressing. I went across the street and notified the neghibor of what was going on, just because there was no one home at that house and I wanted someone to witness it before I watered it down. I really swore it had to be sponteanous combustion, but the more I thought about it the more I think the MUFFLER on my mower was the cause. Mufflers can and will shoot out hot embers, either small peices of the metal baffles inside or carbon. Hence the use of spark arrestors. I had just mowed around there, 10 minutes later a fire... Seems obvious, lol.

greenmonster304
07-12-2008, 09:06 PM
there is a yard in my town that makes mulch and a couple times a year the fire department has to go put the fire out on the pile because it gets so hot on the inside with the organic matierial breaking down.

capnsac
07-12-2008, 10:21 PM
Man that sounds like a problem I have in my pants. Gets awfully hot in there...

Whitey4
07-14-2008, 12:24 AM
Man that sounds like a problem I have in my pants. Gets awfully hot in there...

Actually, I think that might be yer brain....