PDA

View Full Version : Wanting the best

nccutter
07-12-2008, 03:38 PM
Next spring I am going to retire from corporate America and set out on my own. Due to my own personal preference, I want to start with an enclosed trailer. Any advice on size or type would be appreciated. I am going to pay cash for everything BEFORE I even have a customer. Any help would be appreiciated

J.A.G LAWNCARE
07-12-2008, 03:50 PM
why why why why ????

nccutter
07-12-2008, 03:53 PM
I just want something to do. I have the money..house paid off etc, just don't want to set around

dura to the max
07-12-2008, 04:04 PM
7/16 if you want to have more than one mower and still have room to breathe in the trailer. dual axle, dual brakes are a must and i would have a 3/4 ton or bigger to pull it w/.

Exact Rototilling
07-12-2008, 04:50 PM
I have a 6 x 12 Pace Worksport from Home Depot (http://www.worksporttrailers.com/6x12.php)a $3,000 trailer. Works well for my business model as long as my biggest mower is a Quick 36WB possibly the Quick 44 Dually down the road. The mowing side of my business is to focus nearly exclusively on smaller lawns [more profitable IMO] so it works for me and will continue to for years to follow. Only issue I have is hauling compost for top dressing so I have to pre stage my other trailer a 4 x 8

Ramp weight is limited to 1,000 pounds and a ZTR will over load the ramp and get high centered.

:waving:

bohiaa
07-12-2008, 05:48 PM
Good For you......

I was forced out of corprate America and went back to lawn care, and am loving it....

Best of luck to ya

LushGreenLawn
07-12-2008, 10:26 PM
why why why why ????

We could ask you the same question!

Diamond Dave
07-12-2008, 11:19 PM
It all depends on what equipment you will be running. If you are going to have 60"+ ZTRs, I would suggest going 8ft. wide. A 7ft. wide gets tight with Zs and racks etc. on the walls. Just my 2 cents.

phlandscaping
07-12-2008, 11:24 PM
Agreed, I bought my trailer for equipment I was purchasing... And from now on I will buy my trailers for possible future equipment! Nothing like buying a trailer twice, because the first one was a couple feet short...

dura to the max
07-12-2008, 11:25 PM
if you want the best stay away from the carry-on trailers sold at the chain stores. the nice enclosed trailers have their studs and floor joists set on 16" centers, unlike the 24" on the more inexpensive chain store trailers. i paid only $700 more for my dual axle, dual brakes, 16" centered studs trailer. it was a 7x16' enclosed. hauled a 60" z, 52" w/b, and a 36" w/b just fine. as well as all the small stuff.

topsites
07-13-2008, 12:30 AM
I just want something to do. I have the money..house paid off etc, just don't want to set around

Oh...
Well dang why didn't you say that?!

Because I'll make it easy, you just give me the money, and you take my truck.

Trailer's hitched, mower and trimmer's in there, schedule and all, gps too,
everything works, extras in the toolbox and the back of the cab, you can
even have my wallet and cellphone, and have fun! :waving:

VirginiaLawnCare
07-13-2008, 02:31 AM
I recommend at least a duel axle trailer. Buy bigger then your thinking so you have a little room to expand down the road.

J.A.G LAWNCARE
07-13-2008, 12:29 PM
are you sure you would like to spend $40,000 on a hobby, takes a lot a time to make that back , leave you money in the bank and work at a golf course mowing and get some free golf ..................................

MowHouston
07-13-2008, 12:34 PM
are you sure you would like to spend $40,000 on a hobby, takes a lot a time to make that back , leave you money in the bank and work at a golf course mowing and get some free golf ..................................

No kidding. Take that $40,000 and spend it on lotto tickets. I'm sure you'd win and then you wouldnt have to do lawn business!

Seriously though, you really need to think about getting some customers first before you start thinking about hauling around a trailer. How many customers do you think you're going to get? Only 3 1/2 months of hardcore mowing that thats here in Houston.

There really isn't a need to be tugging an enclosed trailer when you could be learning the business with smaller equipment in the bed of your truck. Who knows if you're even going to stick it out.

People like you come to this website all pumped up about buying all this equipment and dont even know if they can hang in the business. I bet 80% of them dont.

Just being honest. Not stereo-typing you. But you've really gotta think things through.

Eakern & Dog
07-13-2008, 01:11 PM
I quit being a corporate rat as well. I started off small doing seasonal color and small landscape projects.I'm still small but added a few maintenance accounts to have some money coming in each month. This is my advice depending on what you want to do:

-Maintenance only as a solo operator( by yourself with no helper) - get a
heavy duty small trailer (5x8/5/10- avoid small tire ones) or a decent used cargo trailer. Demo a mid size Z rider ( if you are over 40 yo) and a good push/walk behind mower along with all the good hand held stuff. The cargo trailer is good but it will suck if you want to branch out in to other stuff where you might need access to the bed of the trailer. I suspect that you will get bored with just mowing. It does not take too long to get bored with it even if you have 1,000 song on your I-pod :-)

-Maintenance with the idea that you are going to grow and become a working owner of large scale operation.- Buy a box truck, a hydro walk behind and a z-rider with all the good hand held stuff.

- A guy who is just fed up with his working life, wants a change and thinks he will enjoy the freedom that landscape work provides.- Go to the local animal shelter and get a nice calm mutt that needs a home. Buy a truck that has a bench seat so that your dog can sit next to you during the day.All the rest will come to you as the dog will be feeding you advice when you least expect it :-)

Rubicon20
07-13-2008, 01:26 PM
I would go with a 16 or 18 ft enclosed but also keep in mind a open trailer also for large mulch jobs or haul aways

ALC-GregH
07-13-2008, 03:15 PM
You can do solo with a 6x12 easy. Definitely go with open. You can make better use of a open trailer. Much easier when loading and unloading. Plus if you have a place to park it loaded out of the weather, that makes it even better. You really don't need the trailer to be decked out with all the fancy stuff like line spool rack, or cooler rack or a back pack blower rack. Maybe some stuff to make life easier.

I did install a few things on my trailer that make it easy working solo, like the Gorilla lift and a locking trimmer rack. Other then that, I have a tool box bolted to the trailer for small stuff.

Exact Rototilling
07-13-2008, 03:24 PM

If you really don't need the money and you have lots of net worth I'd start with fat and juicy insurance package and a LLC. The fun stop if something goes sideways and you loose the farm with a hobby.

I'm a sole properitieor and I have 2 million insurance policy, two claims per year of 1 mil each.

nccutter
07-21-2008, 04:14 PM
Thanks for the input everyone. I was going to get an enclosed trailer to eliminate adding another garage. I know how to operate a business and failure isn't even an option. I believe if you do what you say will do, be there when you say you will be there, treat eveyone fair and with respect, the work will come.

J&R Landscaping
07-21-2008, 07:37 PM
For an enclosed trailer, I would say 8 x 20 is ideal. For the price on the smaller units, I don't see the point. Wells cargo, Haulmark or Pace are all good brands.

dura to the max
07-21-2008, 07:54 PM
For an enclosed trailer, I would say 8 x 20 is ideal. For the price on the smaller units, I don't see the point. Wells cargo, Haulmark or Pace are all good brands.

1 issue i see as being better w/ the smaller trailer is better MPG. and for a solo doing this in his spare time as a hobby i think a 14'-16' would be plenty. i do this full time w/ a crew and a 7'x16' enclosed was plenty. i sold it b/c i like onpen trailers better, but the size was plenty.

J.A.G LAWNCARE
07-21-2008, 08:02 PM
you will be burnt out in one year as a hobby not making money to cover your cost .................................................................................................

Allens LawnCare
07-23-2008, 12:14 PM
you will be burnt out in one year as a hobby not making money to cover your cost .................................................................................................

What if he can bang out 20 yards like you can in two hrs...he should be fine

J.A.G LAWNCARE
07-23-2008, 05:20 PM
not a hobby for me................

MUDFLAP
07-23-2008, 05:46 PM
You guys need to learn to read between the lines,the guy is loaded, and dosnt want to sit around swatting skeeters off his old ladys butt for the next 30 years, the LCO will allow him to be gone most of the time, loosens up the cash flow, and if he hires his golf buddies, nobodys wife will know whats going on, and the inclosed trailer is a must if your equipment will be left un-attended in strip club parking lots most of the day. My god the man is a genius ! ! !

MUDFLAP
07-23-2008, 06:02 PM
Honey you know i cant hear my cell phone ring when im on the mower, and i think i need a new battery, this one wont hold a charge. lol.

nccutter
07-23-2008, 06:47 PM
You guys need to learn to read between the lines,the guy is loaded, and dosnt want to sit around swatting skeeters off his old ladys butt for the next 30 years, the LCO will allow him to be gone most of the time, loosens up the cash flow, and if he hires his golf buddies, nobodys wife will know whats going on, and the inclosed trailer is a must if your equipment will be left un-attended in strip club parking lots most of the day. My god the man is a genius ! ! !

Great answer!!!!

nccutter
07-23-2008, 07:24 PM
If anyone within a days drive of Greensboro, NC is getting out of the business and wants to sell your equiment, please let me know.