PDA

View Full Version : Bid follow-up

eggy
01-13-2002, 05:52 PM
Just wondering how everyone aproaches following up bids or if you even follow them up....In the past we would just send a letter (one0 but this year we have been calling and sending a letter...isthis to much or not enough? What kind of success or no success have you had with following up bids? Does it help in your eyes?

LAWNGODFATHER
01-13-2002, 07:32 PM
One simple word to sum it up,

CALL

Randy Scott
01-13-2002, 07:38 PM
I will give a call back in a few days. If nobody is home I will leave a message on the machine but always call back until I get an actual person. I'm not wasting stamps on letters. I think it's a little harder for people to say no when talking on the phone than just throwing your letter away. Besides, I love the challenge of being able to sell what I have to offer and that is best one on one. Alot easier to sell yourself when verbally communicating.

JimLewis
01-15-2002, 06:42 PM
I agree, I'll call them a few days later if they don't call me.

Of course, in the spring and summer I am often so dang busy with just the people who DO call back that I don't even have time to bother.

The biggest job we did this year I landed because I persistently called her back. I didn't annoy her. I called a week after the first bid and she said she was definitely interested and would call me back in a few days to set stuff up. Another week or two went by and because she said she was definitely interested but hadn't called me, I called her back. This happened for a good 2 months. Finally, she was ready to go and we landed a HUGE job for us. It was sweet.

I just landed another job this week doing the same thing. If you aren't swamped with work, I definitely recommend calling people back. I keep it simple. I just say, "Hi, this is Jim Lewis with Lewis Landscape calling. I was just following up on that estimate we gave you." Then I stay silent until they respond.