PDA

View Full Version : Some plants not doing well

fool32696
07-13-2008, 01:31 PM
I just got an email from a customer that I did an install for about 3 months ago. They want me to start doing lawn maintenance for them (so they're not upset or anything), but mentioned that a number of a certain type of plant that I installed isn't doing well and seems to be dying. I'm guessing I should do a soil test and talk to my nursery? How do I go about doing a soil test? I won't know what's actually having problems until I go by on Tuesday. Here is a list of what went in the ground: holly, boxwood, indian hawthorne, aztec grass, podocarpus, gardenias, and ligustrum. Will keep everyone updated as I find out more.

cgll1135
07-13-2008, 02:00 PM
www.agr.state.nc.us/cyber/kidswrld/plant/soiltest.htm This is a website that might give you some needed info. However you may need to check with a local university to send samples to or extentsion service

wildstarblazer
07-13-2008, 08:21 PM
those plants shouldn't have any problems. If you didn't ammend the soil with some good organic matter your Problem could be dry soil. florida soil is so sandy they are probobly not holding on to water.

fool32696
07-13-2008, 10:53 PM
The soil on that particular job has a lot of clay in it and we've been getting rain almost daily. Now that I think about it, the soil may be too wet in certain areas. Thanks for the advice so far. I'll keep you guys updated.

White Gardens
07-14-2008, 02:27 AM
Might be one of those deals that you need to amend the hole again. I've come to the conclusion that if I dig out a hole, it's never big enough and I get extreme in some situations by digging to hole way bigger than I probably need to, but, better safe than sorry.

Smallaxe
07-14-2008, 09:10 AM
More often than not it is a water issue. In clay it is very easy to leave air pockets in the root zone, which of course will dry and kill the affected roots tips.
If they are balled open the burlap and check the soil inside to be sure it is ok. People leave the root balls closed in burlap nowadays, which makes it very difficult to get the water in.

fool32696
07-15-2008, 12:45 AM
Based on an email from the homeowner, the affected plants are Hollys, not sure of the variety, will talk to my supply yard tomorrow. A little research yielded possible soil drainage issue or root rot (hopefully not!). Will take some pictures when I go by tomorrow!

fool32696
07-15-2008, 05:34 PM
About 17 3gal are affected. Of those 12 are completely dead and the rest are on their way. Looks like my guys screwed me on this one. They were planted too deep and there were air pockets around the roots. Oh well, $100 in plants and an hours labor and the customer will be happy again.

White Gardens
07-16-2008, 07:19 AM
At least it isn't that bad. Doesn't sound like your going to be out that much. Could have been much worse I guess.

Merlin300
07-16-2008, 08:19 AM
They were planted too deep and there were air pockets around the roots.

Plant them high they won't die, plant them low they won't grow. A VERY OLD guy that owns a nursery told me that when I was teenager working there. 20some yrs later it still holds true.

fool32696
07-16-2008, 10:14 PM
Good advice.