PDA

View Full Version : Split-Boom Weed Eaters

JB Lawn Services
01-14-2000, 07:29 AM
I am looking at 2 different split-boom models - a Sears Craftsman and a Ryobi. Which would you guys recommend, the only Stihl dealer in town has a horrible selection, so it's either Ryobi or Craftsman. The Ryobi I'm lookin at 2079R (what ever &quot;R&quot; is), a 22.5 cc, and is a 2 cycle engine - the Craftsman has a 31 cc. <p>On the Ryobi - should I purchase a 2 cycle or 4 cycle engine? What is the difference?<p>Thanks,<br>JB Lawn Services

accuratelawn
01-14-2000, 08:10 AM
Buy a commercial grade product PERIOD.

Lazer
01-14-2000, 09:46 AM
Ryobi makes a 4 cycle engine on a line trimmer?<br>

Retro67
01-14-2000, 10:08 AM
Shindaiwa is the brand I use. Start like a dream which will NEVER happen with a homeowner unit used commercially. The extra expenditure is worth it'sweight in gold.<p>John

geogunn
01-14-2000, 10:48 AM
lazer--yep ryobi makes a 4 cycle weedeater. they say they take getting used to. outside of the fact that they aren't a commercial grade machine, they are heavy and they have much more torque than a 2 cycle. they don't rev real high. as you can imagine, lots of problems with 'em.<p>for the money there is better suff almost everywhere you look.<p>geo

JimLewis
01-14-2000, 10:54 AM
I agree. I'd go with a commercial trimmer, period. But if you insist on going with one of these cheapos, go with the 4 cycle Ryobi. It's stronger and takes straight gasoline, which is nice. But they are like $200 on sale. Why not just buy a shindaiwa? They're only $260 or so. And they'll last 10 times as long. <p>----------<br>Jim Lewis - Lewis Landscape Services<br>http://www.lewislandscape.com

JB Lawn Services
01-14-2000, 11:59 AM
Commercial sounds like the way to go then - but how can I purchase a commercial brand split boom weed eater if there are no shops in town that sell them? Websites? Catalogs? How can I get a hold of one?<p>Thank you very much for your responses?<p>JB Lawn Services

gene gls
01-15-2000, 03:37 AM
JB, Some times you just have to travel a few extra miles to get the best equipement.

klite
01-15-2000, 09:14 AM
JB here is a link that I got off the old Forum<br>http://www.yetmans.mb.ca/manufacturers.html<p>----------<br>Ken...Lightcap's Landscape Service<br>

MWHC
01-15-2000, 01:38 PM
All of the posts have been correct. Buy a commercial grade trimmer. You won't regret it. If you plan on trimming for long periods, i.e. 20 minutes or more, that Ryobi is going to get really heavy. The new commercial trimmers are light weight and built well. Have you asked your Stihl dealer to order you one? I bet it's not much more $$$ than a Ryobi. <p>We use Stihl blowers and trimmers all day long. They stand up to the test and are light enough your arms still work at the end of the day.

cnflawn
01-16-2000, 02:37 AM
all these people are correct. stay away from homeowner units. a split boom is a great way to get the most use out of your money. it also makes a great second trimmer as you can use it for many other things plus have a back up trimmer.

mcambrose
01-16-2000, 04:15 AM
Try Alamia.com. It is a site linked to Lawn and Landscape.com. They are mail order and competetively priced. Ask for Jeff or Saad.

jnjnlc
01-16-2000, 06:50 AM
I have to agree with everyone else. Buy a commercial trimmer. I use a Ryobi 31cc 2 cycle. On my larger properties it gets heavy before I get done. Very hard on the shoulders. The only reason I use it is I had it when I started in the business. I will replace it this summer with a commercial brand. One note on the split boom. The first one I bought the screw that holds the clasp in place sheared. It was only a couple of weeks old so Lowes replaced it no problem. The reason I bought the split boom was to attach the edger when I needed. I have used the edger maybe twice. I now just sits in the truck and never gets used. I flip the weedeater around for edging. Think about it. You may not need a split boom. <p>Good luck<p>----------<br>Jeff<br>

jeffclc
01-16-2000, 03:27 PM
I have to agree with the others that you do not want a homeowner grade trimmer for heavy duty use. <p>Echo products can be purchased from sevral mail order companies, and are not all that much more $$$ than the Ryboi.