PDA

View Full Version : Grass Cutting Business only???

mmcconn746
01-13-2002, 06:58 PM
After being laid off at 52 years of age, I am considering starting a business of just cutting grass. My home is in one of the fastest growing residential areas in the state. Is that practical or must I include other landscaping with it?

Mike

KDJ
01-13-2002, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by mmcconn746
After being laid off at 52 years of age, I am considering starting a business of just cutting grass. My home is in one of the fastest growing residential areas in the state. Is that practical or must I include other landscaping with it?

Mike

Many people do just that. Get some door hangers and take a long walk. You will do just fine.

odin
01-13-2002, 07:42 PM
Im sorry to here of youre misfortune of being laid off
30 years in the auto industry i seen a lot of good men get the ax
Especialy in the 1980's.
I agree with kdj put out a bunch of door hangers .Your local newspaper might be a good place to run some advertisement
put up a paper in the section at the grocey store for free adds ,its useally at the entrance as you walk in .
Print up some business cards with your computer ,believe it or not you can design some good one's on your own computer.
Study a little bit about turfgrasses the local libery or your county extension agent can help.Being in georgia conentrate on warm season grass .
You'll do ok

Randy Scott
01-13-2002, 07:58 PM
Depends, what is your current lifestyle at right now? What are you used to living like? Are you going to start living off pension, or any type of retirement, and cut grass as some extra cash?

This is a business like anything else. If you think you can just go take the homeowner tractor you may have and go out and cut lawns, then no, it isn't going to be practical. If you want to start a new venture and something for yourself, then giver' hell. To just do it because you think it's a simple way to make money, it's not. Everyone on here doing this full-time for their main income has a buttload of money invested into equipment and many hours of learning the industry and the business side of it. I'm not being rude to you, I'm just trying to give you some insight. If you think you can jump in and just start cutting lawns without thinking about where you want to take it, you most likely will be the guy screwing up pricing for a couple summers and then get out of it.
If you are serious about it, or would like to learn more about it, then you can spend the next month or more reading all the previous posts and discussions on this site to give you a ton of information about the industry. That may help you make a better decision if it is something you think you would like to do. Good luck with your decision whatever you decide.:)

65hoss
01-13-2002, 08:34 PM
How often can you cut grass in your area. Since you just say Georgia you could be North or far south. Don't expect to make good money the 1st few years. It takes time to get good customers and get routes tightened up. Over time you can make good money cuttin' only, but you'll never get rich just cuttin'.

Get comm'l grade equipment. Don't buy things twice. Get what you need the 1st time so you don't have to constantly upgrade. This will save you many thousands over the long run.

Since your new here, READ, READ, READ, READ! Do plenty of research before you buy. Knowledge is power, so the more you can accumulate from all the experience on this site the better.

Fantasy Lawns
01-14-2002, 11:18 AM
Welcome Mike

We started just mowing grass .... infact I'd say most of the guys n gals whom cut grass started just like that .... later develope n add services which you are comfortable with n services you can perform or sub out .....good luck ;->

LAWNS AND MOWER
01-14-2002, 11:53 AM
I think most of us probably started out just mow and blow. Like Steve said, ease your way into other services. Plus you can get a feel for your clients and figure out which ones aren't afraid to spend money on extra projects. I would suggest offering spring and fall cleanups from the beginning. You don't want your client base to be calling other lco's for this work. They might get too chummy with them. My first couple of years was 95% mowing in terms of gross. Now it's probably at 65%.

Good luck--LAWNS AND MOWER

sheppard
01-14-2002, 08:39 PM
Dear mmcconn746

Hold your chin up and start your own business! I started just mowing commercial and residential with 0 accounts. In 6 weeks I had approximatley 25 accounts and now adverage about $3,500.00 a month in revenue. Support my family on that with my wife working PT.

Call every one you know and spread the word. Offer to give them a quote on their property (residential) and play up your age. Emphasise that you are not fresh out of college but know the value of responsibility and, as a home owner, you know what's important.

Getting commercial accounts are easy in my opinion- just call the decision maker and ask if they are completely happy with the current provider. 30% of the time they are not (in my neck of the woods). Offer them a price and ask for the business!

Cordially,
Sheppard

bobbygedd
01-16-2002, 01:45 AM
offer other services as well. there is some great money to be made in mulch, planting, stone, etc. but also, as the man stated, get comercial equipment if u can afford it, i started with residential stuff, and by the time all was said and done(cost of the stuff, repairs to the stuff, missed work cus the junk broke down, and wear and tear on the body) i could have bought good equipment right from the start. good luck

JimLewis
01-16-2002, 12:46 PM
I agree with the above posts. You can make a great living just mowing lawns by yourself. And from there you can decide if you want to get into doing other landscaping or not.

As leven said though, I would only add other services as you feel comfortable with doing them. That's how a lot of us did it. We do all phases of landscaping now but I've only added a few services a year, as I learned more. The first 2 years all I did was mow lawns, clean-ups (weeding, pruning, etc.) and mulching.

But even if you just wanted to mow lawns you'd do just fine. Especially if your area is as hot as you say. My area is the same and that's a big reason why we've grown so fast in only 6 years.

rthom40
01-18-2002, 11:56 AM
Hey Mike,much like you a lay off put me into the business.Except i had 2 years to prepare.Started out aerating after work and on weekends.I started getting requests to do full service jobs.Last year i had 18 clients on top of my full time job.Whew. Killed me. If you do the job right you'll have more than you can handle.I turned down lots last year.Also a big draw for my business is my own yard.Had many inquiries about it.Easy to refer yourself.This year looking forward to fulltime maintenance.Good luck