PDA

View Full Version : Balancing trailer tires...

topsites
07-13-2008, 03:45 PM
I know it may sound insane but just yesterday I realized my trailer tires are not balanced, they never were, they never are... And I got to thinking, wouldn't it be better for the trailer's rideability and the tire wear if they were balanced?

I don't know, I suppose there is that reason why nobody ever balances them, but has anyone ever done so, or why are they not balanced and any other input on this would be appreciated.

QualityLawnCare4u
07-13-2008, 04:31 PM
Mine are balanced when I get new ones installed(or I feel like its needed). Last time I had tires put on it without balance the trailor shook/bounced so badly it was not usuable. I took the tires back off and balanced them, rode nice and smooth after that.

topsites
07-13-2008, 11:24 PM
Mine are balanced when I get new ones installed(or I feel like its needed). Last time I had tires put on it without balance the trailor shook/bounced so badly it was not usuable. I took the tires back off and balanced them, rode nice and smooth after that.

Hmmm...
I would have thought mine were too, since I let the guys at the trailer shop put them on this isn't something I had ever bothered checking... And maybe I am wrong but I didn't see any weights on either the outside or the inside of the rim, and I just find it hard to believe that without weights it would be balanced, hence why I posted about it.

Now it could be the weights fell off, not saying it's their fault per se but I looked at both rims inside and out and unless I didn't see something there were no weights whatsoever (not the stick-on nor the other kind). And I did say they were never balanced because I found it difficult to think they were when there wasn't even a one weight, but then again maybe it did fall off, or maybe I didn't see it, who knows...?

I can't say the trailer is hard to drive, matter of fact I don't think it has ever acted silly but I'm going to pull the wheels off and balance them, believe it or not it's poor fuel economy that got me into checking this but thanks for the advice.

Jason Rose
07-14-2008, 12:11 AM
Never seen a trailer tire that was balanced here. No need really. And if your "unbalanced" wheels are causing the trailer to shake, so much that you can feel it in the truck, I'm betting there's some larger issues there.

Now, if I was pulling a trailer at highway speeds (55 to 80 mph) for long distances maybe having them balanced would help. Help what I'm not sure.

Green' Go
07-14-2008, 02:43 AM
Never seen balanced trailer tires either. Never had an issue. Not that it cant happen, I just never had an issue with it.

02DURAMAX
07-14-2008, 02:48 AM
I have never balanced my trailer tires but when i got my new trailer they where balanced.

Keith
07-14-2008, 05:24 AM
I have balanced some in the past, but I can't tell much difference. I usually balance my own anyway...by adding a new plug every week :rolleyes:

dura to the max
07-14-2008, 09:52 PM
I have balanced some in the past, but I can't tell much difference. I usually balance my own anyway...by adding a new plug every week :rolleyes:

same here. never seen a trailer tire balanced. dont think it would help much as much as a trailer load changes.

this brings up another question though, i had a tire replaced on a z the other day and they didnt balance it. would it help at all? LOL

SiteSolutions
07-14-2008, 11:35 PM
My tire guy has never balanced my trailer tires. They only last six months anyway, so it's not like they're going to have funny wear issues before I have to replace them.

Maybe a 5th wheel travel trailer would benefit from balancing? Mostly highway use and highway speeds might make a difference? Maybe keep the stuff in the trailer from rattling around too much?

Petr51488
07-14-2008, 11:37 PM
I got new tires put on my trailer today and noticed they were balanced.

topsites
07-16-2008, 06:51 PM
I'm not sure if everyone's on the same track...

When I speak of balancing I'm talking about sticking the wheel on a machine that spins it, then there's a digital readout that tells the person balancing the wheel where to stick the weight, how much to add, and to which side of the rim.
Mine's an Accu-Turn computerized balancer.

And even thou I do agree that there would be bigger issues on a trailer if it is wobbling at high speeds, it still would seem like vibrations translate to mpg loss, apparently the tire wear is none for the worse, not on mine anyhow.

As for mower tires, it doesn't make a difference at speeds under 15 mph or so.
So...

I pulled one wheel off the trailer all ready to balance it.

The biggest problem I ran into is the center hole of the rim is too big to fit any of the adapters from the balancer, so I'm not sure if this is something anybody would do... However it would seem they would sell a larger adapter, it's only off by a size or two.

Going to see if I can find one...

Ramairfreak98ss
07-16-2008, 07:10 PM
I got new tires put on my trailer today and noticed they were balanced.

Was there a separate charge for that? I just had 4 Firestone Transcender HTs i think in 16" size put on our 07 Dump trailer. The stockers lasted maybe a couple thousand miles total, total china garbage. All were worn the hell out in the middle, they always were very hot riding around, crappy bias ply junk.

Anyway, i paid $139 a tire installed and theyre not balanced or anything. Isn't balancing supposed to be used for cars/tires over 55mph or something? I think most of us have done well over that though pulling trailers.

Ive pulled our 24' enclosed trailer around 80mph most of the way through Ohio and parts of PA before.

Maybe thats why the truck tires last 30k miles pulling 4 trailers, and all 4 trailers tires wear out faster than one set of truck tirse? hmmm

topsites
07-16-2008, 10:15 PM
Well those adapters are called cones, and each wheel balancer cone costs like 200 dollars LOL.

So I just put that tire right back on the trailer, I might check with the dealer later to see what they say about it.

Maybe thats why the truck tires last 30k miles pulling 4 trailers, and all 4 trailers tires wear out faster than one set of truck tirse? hmmm

See that's what I'm saying, thou I have had good luck with tires one load rating higher than what is 'recommended' for my trailer. Mine originally came with bias-plies too, don't ever buy bias-ply for a replacement.

So I switched to radials, and the dealer recommended a B load rating and I got the C's (I think, or something to that effect)... Anyhow with load ratings the LOWER the letter the tougher the tire, I also am used to paying $100 a tire.

Now I don't mind paying more for a tire if I know it's going to last, because after it's all said and done another $40 goes into tax + mounting + valve stem + disposal + some fee + this fee + that fee... So I'd just as soon spend the money on the rubber and more miles out of them and be done with it, with my current tires I foresee dry rot being a problem long before wear :p

Only problem with the higher load ratings is the tires don't bulge much when the trailer's being loaded, so you have to watch the axle when weight is an issue.

Petr51488
07-16-2008, 10:40 PM
Was there a separate charge for that? I just had 4 Firestone Transcender HTs i think in 16" size put on our 07 Dump trailer. The stockers lasted maybe a couple thousand miles total, total china garbage. All were worn the hell out in the middle, they always were very hot riding around, crappy bias ply junk.

Anyway, i paid $139 a tire installed and theyre not balanced or anything. Isn't balancing supposed to be used for cars/tires over 55mph or something? I think most of us have done well over that though pulling trailers.

Ive pulled our 24' enclosed trailer around 80mph most of the way through Ohio and parts of PA before.

Yea, they allways charge a few bucks. I think i paid about 240 for 2 tires. They were duro's for my haulmark. They seem pretty good. There more of a car tire tread, rather then like a wagon tire that it came with.

dura to the max
07-16-2008, 11:31 PM
I'm not sure if everyone's on the same track...

When I speak of balancing I'm talking about sticking the wheel on a machine that spins it, then there's a digital readout that tells the person balancing the wheel where to stick the weight, how much to add, and to which side of the rim.
Mine's an Accu-Turn computerized balancer.

And even thou I do agree that there would be bigger issues on a trailer if it is wobbling at high speeds, it still would seem like vibrations translate to mpg loss, apparently the tire wear is none for the worse, not on mine anyhow.

As for mower tires, it doesn't make a difference at speeds under 15 mph or so.
So...

I pulled one wheel off the trailer all ready to balance it.

The biggest problem I ran into is the center hole of the rim is too big to fit any of the adapters from the balancer, so I'm not sure if this is something anybody would do... However it would seem they would sell a larger adapter, it's only off by a size or two.

Going to see if I can find one...

this is the machine i was referring to. and i was joking about the mower tire.

Chilehead
07-16-2008, 11:40 PM
I had new tires put on my trailer last year, and had them balanced after a shaking episode myself. I would have them balanced if I was you.

SiteSolutions
07-16-2008, 11:47 PM
So I switched to radials, and the dealer recommended a B load rating and I got the C's (I think, or something to that effect)... Anyhow with load ratings the LOWER the letter the tougher the tire, I also am used to paying $100 a tire.

Not sure I get this part. I run Es on my trailer and they seem to outlast the Ds that were on there previously. The letters indicate load range, and I think they are tied directly to the number of plies the tire has. The later in the alphabet the letter, the more plies on the tire. I would think more plies makes a tougher tire. This has always motivated my decisions in the past, to get more plies and therefore a tougher tire.

:confused:

dura to the max
07-16-2008, 11:51 PM
Not sure I get this part. I run Es on my trailer and they seem to outlast the Ds that were on there previously. The letters indicate load range, and I think they are tied directly to the number of plies the tire has. The later in the alphabet the letter, the more plies on the tire. I would think more plies makes a tougher tire. This has always motivated my decisions in the past, to get more plies and therefore a tougher tire.

:confused:

this is correct, a is the weakest and z is the toughest. yes they make a z for pursuit vehicles and racing cars. the later the letter comes the stronger the tire.

Jason Rose
07-16-2008, 11:52 PM
C-Load = 6 ply
D-Load = 8 ply
E-Load = 10 ply

I'm sure there's exceptions to the rules, but this is the general ratings that I know of.

I've never even heard of a "B" load tire... I suppose that would be 4 ply, like what's used on mowers for example. Certinaly NOT what I'd want for a road tire at all.

I also learned to buy tires that are labled specifically for use on TRAILERS (for on a trailer). They are usually a harder rubber and wear longer and also have higher load ratings.

SiteSolutions
07-16-2008, 11:59 PM
C-Load = 6 ply
D-Load = 8 ply
E-Load = 10 ply

I'm sure there's exceptions to the rules, but this is the general ratings that I know of.

I've never even heard of a "B" load tire... I suppose that would be 4 ply, like what's used on mowers for example. Certinaly NOT what I'd want for a road tire at all.

I also learned to buy tires that are labled specifically for use on TRAILERS (for on a trailer). They are usually a harder rubber and wear longer and also have higher load ratings.

Those ply ratings seem to go with what I recall seeing elsewhere.

Little bitty import cars probably use A or B tires on 13 inch rims. If the whole car only weighs 2500 pounds, there's not much load when spread out over 4 tires.

My wife's Excursion only has C load range tires on it. Wonder if that is factory or if the previous owner didn't know better?

dura to the max
07-17-2008, 12:09 AM
Those ply ratings seem to go with what I recall seeing elsewhere.

Little bitty import cars probably use A or B tires on 13 inch rims. If the whole car only weighs 2500 pounds, there's not much load when spread out over 4 tires.

My wife's Excursion only has C load range tires on it. Wonder if that is factory or if the previous owner didn't know better?

you need to check out those excursion tires, the excursion needs E range for safety.

lil'dale
07-17-2008, 12:38 AM
If it rolls down the highway at any speed, balance it. What part of smoother ride, higher speeds, and longer tire life are you guys not getting? The speed limit between me and El Paso is 80mph and it's about 9 hours each way. My trailer never misses a beat, but I would NEVER do that with unbalanced tires. If your tire shop tells you that they don't need balancing, find a new shop NOW! Also, always buy TRAILER tires for your trailer and make sure they are all the same size. I can't believe how many morons around here will only buy used tires for their trailers. Lazy I guess. That's why I saw one of my competitors rolling through down today with a shredded tire beating the hell out of his trailer fender. I wonder when he finally noticed it?

Keith
07-17-2008, 02:03 AM
If I was running 80mph down the highway, I would balance them. My average speed on a given day...19mph.

44DCNF
07-17-2008, 02:17 AM
I hear a nail works good for balancing.

Keith
07-17-2008, 03:04 AM
I try and add one or two of those a week.

topsites
07-17-2008, 01:58 PM
this is the machine i was referring to. and i was joking about the mower tire.

Yeah that dawned on me eventually, 3-4 hours later I was like...
Maybe they were joking?
hmmm... :p

I think they call this wit lag.

dura to the max
07-17-2008, 08:10 PM
Yeah that dawned on me eventually, 3-4 hours later I was like...
Maybe they were joking?
hmmm... :p

I think they call this wit lag.

what, im not the only one that thinks about lawnsite and the threads ive been involved in all the time? lol. :dizzy:

Ramairfreak98ss
07-18-2008, 08:43 PM
Only problem with the higher load ratings is the tires don't bulge much when the trailer's being loaded, so you have to watch the axle when weight is an issue.

lol yeah. I just switched from garbage china built bias ply on our dump trailer.. The new firestones are rated the same, but two of my guys on site loaded the trailer WAY too heavy. I guess not thinking since the dirt was a lot of crushed stone and sand, they frekking nearly filled the trailer. My F350 BARELY wanted to go, i mean it had to be close to 18-19k total for that trailer supposed to hold only 14k total... Then i got it back here and it wouldnt dump, had to hand shovel over a ton of dirt out before it would even attempt to move :/ The tires looked like they were loaded heavy for sure, but my old bias plys would have been bulging out long before this weight was loaded up.