PDA

View Full Version : Job losses in the bush will start in september

Gravel Rat
07-13-2008, 05:25 PM
The demand for wood has dropped so much that forestry contractors have shut down. The guys have been told that their might not be jobs for them come september.

I don't like hearing that there will be more job losses especially for the younger guys that are trying to raise a familly and have house payments etc. They can't even sell their house for the money they have into it because the market dropped off to nothing. Right now there isn't any jobs for equipment operators in the construction industry.

You guys wonder why I'am sticking with the gov't job because jobs that have kept people employeed for decades are disappearing faster than you can blink.

The realestate market has flopped so now prices are dropping. The people that bought high are totally screwed now because their property value is 100,000 or more lower than what they are paying on. People that bought property that were going to flip are also screwed they are stuck with it. Some properties are seeing 10 grand drop every week to 2 weeks. Some place have dropped 200 grand.

Let the good times roll, I'am glad I'am not a person stuck with a 2000 dollar a month mortgage payment and a job that is on shakey ground. I'am also glad I don't work for a excavation contractor because it is really slow for these guys. Equipment operators might be unemployed till the housing market comes back which may take a few years.

Hate to be a excavation contractor with the repo man one step away from the door step trying to keep making payments on equipment that has very little work for :dizzy:

Many of them are stuck they can't get out unless they take a big loss on the equipment that there is no market for.

YellowDogSVC
07-13-2008, 06:14 PM
I am starting to see a real slow down in Texas, US which had been booming while other parts of the country had slowed. I hope it isn't a trend but it looks like it. Things will come back, they always do. Everything is in cycles. We can partially thank greedy bankers and unscrupulous credit card companies for putting people in mortgages they cannot afford and extending credit to the unworthy. Those banks that are failing, have failed, or will be bailed out at taxpayer expense will get a free ride even though the damage is already done to the dollar which affects the entire world. There has been too much consuming and not enough saving. There is a correction happening and we will just have to ride it out and emerge on the other side.

JB1
07-13-2008, 06:24 PM
The demand for wood has dropped so much that forestry contractors have shut down. The guys have been told that their might not be jobs for them come september.

I don't like hearing that there will be more job losses especially for the younger guys that are trying to raise a familly and have house payments etc. They can't even sell their house for the money they have into it because the market dropped off to nothing. Right now there isn't any jobs for equipment operators in the construction industry.

You guys wonder why I'am sticking with the gov't job because jobs that have kept people employeed for decades are disappearing faster than you can blink.

The realestate market has flopped so now prices are dropping. The people that bought high are totally screwed now because their property value is 100,000 or more lower than what they are paying on. People that bought property that were going to flip are also screwed they are stuck with it. Some properties are seeing 10 grand drop every week to 2 weeks. Some place have dropped 200 grand.

Let the good times roll, I'am glad I'am not a person stuck with a 2000 dollar a month mortgage payment and a job that is on shakey ground. I'am also glad I don't work for a excavation contractor because it is really slow for these guys. Equipment operators might be unemployed till the housing market comes back which may take a few years.

Hate to be a excavation contractor with the repo man one step away from the door step trying to keep making payments on equipment that has very little work for :dizzy:

Many of them are stuck they can't get out unless they take a big loss on the equipment that there is no market for.

Boy, I bet your just the life at a party. Mr Gloom and Doom.

lifetree
07-13-2008, 06:40 PM
Boy, I bet your just the life at a party. Mr Gloom and Doom.

He's just calling it like he sees it !!

ksss
07-13-2008, 06:44 PM
He's just calling it like he sees it !!

True he is. However, if you have been on this board for the last 5 years you would know that this has been the song and dance for the entire time. So if it is all true I would be packing my sh!t and unassing BC, 'cause it hasn't ever been good there. Now that everyone else is in a downturn economy BC must really be in the toilet apparently.:dizzy:

crab
07-13-2008, 06:56 PM
:laugh:now that is funny!!watch out mower boys the sky is falling!and for you chicken little isn't that why you kept you're awesome government job.say hi to Ron's mom for me!

bobcat_ron
07-13-2008, 07:47 PM
My sister and her family are in the process of relocating to Grand Prairie, Alberta now, her husband lost his job a month ago at a heavy equipment shop and he was offered a service manager position at Cummin's location in Alberta. But the house they barely owned for a year has already lost $30,000 in value alone from just the economic downturn and almost 15% of the houses in Prince George are up for sale, but no one is buying.
One of my dairy farming customers is now working as a conductor for CN Rail in PG now, that might be an option for me if things really hit the crapper here.
But Abbotsford is still booming in the new high end market houses now and other regions as well, but it is sliding and slowing down, but my brother and I have work booked well into September so we aren't worried if it's just the 2 of us ass clowns working together, maybe I'll start seeing my monthly pay cheques faster then.

Toy2
07-13-2008, 07:57 PM
Once al lawnboy, always a lawnboy!!!

Times are getting rough, so unless Mommy and Daddy are paying for your lawn gig, wake-up!!!

ksss
07-13-2008, 08:10 PM
Just got done working on the books and doing some billing (actually my better half did). We are down about 80K from this time last year.

t190
07-13-2008, 08:37 PM
HAHAHA losing jobs! weyerhauser keeps telling us to pump out more and more wood! 13000 cubic meters last month a few thousand more than they said we would aloud... Doesnt look like we will be shutting for 2 weeks in aug. ether as they planned
dad could add more trucks to the fleets, he has 10 working full time, logging, lowbedding and hauling wood to reloads in chilliwack.
He has to have at least one more truck by Sept.
but as they say tough times will weed out the weak, lots are starving and he is stressing about not having enough trucks

RockSet N' Grade
07-13-2008, 08:48 PM
YellowDog........couple years ago Texas and Utah were rated the worst economies in the USA......Texas and Utah see-sawing for the last two places. Then we both had unsustainable growth while the rest of the states cooled down. Now, this year, both our economies have been ok....but I too am seeing the slowdown here. We have 3-4 jobs in front of us, but the phone has quit ringing. I am pesimisticaly optimistic that there will be some more work coming in the mid August-September rush to get things done before winter. Our gross is down with expenses up......but we are pushing forward even harder.....Even a truely negative pessimist is right once in his life......but who wants to live life with that attitude?

bobcat_ron
07-13-2008, 09:24 PM
Life with out risk is no life at all.

qps
07-13-2008, 11:01 PM
Just got done working on the books and doing some billing (actually my better half did). We are down about 80K from this time last year.

Sounds like my year so far:hammerhead:

stuvecorp
07-14-2008, 12:42 AM
We start on what may be our most complex hardscape project on the 21st we have done. I am on pace about what last year was but last year was way down. The end of the year may be good though. Keep hustling.

Gravel Rat
07-14-2008, 05:34 AM
The forestry contractors that are hurting are not weak companies these guys have been in the business for 30 plus years. They own millions of dollars worth of equipment. The one contractor harvests enough wood each year to build thousands of houses.

Commercial fishing the second industry on coastal B.C. is the worst its ever been most fishermen are not even bothering to go out this year.

Tourism is also taking a big hit already and summer just started. Tourism based businesses have seen a huge drop.

Even landscaping is seeing a big decline because people can't afford it when your paying high house payments.

This cycle was a bad one and it will take a year or two before things get better. New house construction has taken a extended lunch break. Untill the cost of building goes down the construction will stay slow. Realestate prices are beyond what the average person can afford. A annual income of less than 60,000 dollars your not buying a house or even a building lot.

I can see more job losses happen I think most of the excavation contractors are struggling to keep the equipment working. Residential construction is the only work excavation contractors have.

tbi
07-14-2008, 04:28 PM
Here in poverty stricken NY sales are up 36% YTD. Costs are also up 29% YTD so were still to the good.

FWIW fuel costs are up 45% this year ;-(

Gravel Rat
07-14-2008, 05:42 PM
Fuel costs here are just adding to the problems. For the forestry contractors you figure the fuel costs is minimum 20 grand a month.

Things will be a little slow till the cost of doing things comes down. To buy and build a average house now is 800,000 dollars. A .5 to 1 acre lot is going to cost you minimum 250,000 dollars to build a 2000 square house is 400,000. To prepare the lot for building 20,000 then you have other costs. The price of lumber has doubled even trippled in the last 4 years.

Before you could get away with building a house for 100 dollars a square foot now its minimum 200 dollars for a bare bones basic house. A higher end house your looking at 300 a square foot.

Realestate market has turned stone cold now nothing is selling houses that were selling in days for 1 million dollars are on the market now for over a year.

People have houses that they bought that are not really worth that much money. The property taxes are sky rocketing because of this boom. Many old retired people on fixed incomes can't afford their property taxes anymore. Property tax ranges from 1000 dollars to 10,000 dollars or more a year.

Developers are paying close to the million mark in property tax for lots in subdivisions that hasn't sold yet. They already spent million or more on developing the lots.

So like I said untill the expenses of doing things drop the economy stops. Peoples wages are not increasing to cover the cost of living. A job like mine with a annual income of 40 grand a year is classed as poor. In todays market you need to make minimum 50 grand.

To buy a house you need two incomes yours and your wifes to combine it to get atleast 80-100 grand a year.

We are taxed to death so you may gross 40 grand a year and take home 28-29 grand of that.

tbi
07-14-2008, 07:45 PM
If Jomama Obama is elected here and you make over $100K with all your taxes you will be in a 60% tax bracket.

That sure is a great way to stimulate the economy.:hammerhead:

Junior M
07-14-2008, 10:14 PM
work is slow but yet i am getting steady work.... I was told by my contractor that i would be behind by this time this year but i am not.... which is probably bad...but i am not doing as good as i would like but i am doing ok.... but work is slowy slowing down...

but what the crap are you goin to do if you have already invested in the equipment and trucks and trailers and all the other stuff needed.... i mean really you cant just quit when you are the owner you got to keep on goin and just pray you can keep it going...

Steiner
07-17-2008, 12:34 AM
All I have to do is look at the title of the post and I instantly know its gravel rat with a negative comment.

What is with this big, thoughtful because of x we now have -y (with an emphasis on the negative).

One of these days someone will make a new member name called gravel rat+ (positive) and post positive, silver lining comments. Once it happens and I see it I will shudder and instantly poop my pants.

Wow Gravel Rat.....wow....

Scag48
07-17-2008, 01:48 AM
All I have to do is look at the title of the post and I instantly know its gravel rat with a negative comment.

What is with this big, thoughtful because of x we now have -y (with an emphasis on the negative).

One of these days someone will make a new member name called gravel rat+ (positive) and post positive, silver lining comments. Once it happens and I see it I will shudder and instantly poop my pants.

Wow Gravel Rat.....wow....

Thanks, you just made my day. Hilarious.

Gravel Rat
07-17-2008, 03:26 PM
It still isn't as bad as what you guys have south of the boarder. I hope you don't have your money in a bank that is going to go broke :laugh:

You guys can deny it all you want but your in for some rough waters in a small boat. I guess when you loose your job that you had for 30 years like the forestry guys have you might think there is something wrong.

Jobs that have kept generations of famillies employed gone for good :cry:

bobcat_ron
07-17-2008, 03:48 PM
Some people also fail to see the big picture as well, if a lumber mill closes down, it affects everyone, right down to even the local janitorial company or catering company that provides small services inside the mill, fuel companies that provided fuel for the engines and propane for to the heaters, it's not always the immediate mill workers that the shut down affects.

Gravel Rat
07-17-2008, 04:33 PM
Equipement dealers are seeing a good hit, parts stores are seeing a big loss. There is so many spin off jobs from Forestry its causing some problem. You can pretty well say 1 logger is laid off 4 other jobs that support his job is gone.

Mechanics will be loosing their jobs and trying to find another job because they worked for a dealer that sold forestry equipment or worked for a forestry company. Logging companies usually have road building and production crews. The road building employees are well experienced excavator operators that can do things with excavators that a person that has only worked in residential excavating can not. So you have a hoe operator that makes 30 dollars per hour out of a job and looking for work. These operators are used to running Zaxis 350 and 450 excavators 10 hours a day.

Now you have the production crew that run the off highway logging trucks they are operating trucks grossing 200,000lbs its all they have done most of their life. You also have yarder operators and hoe chuckers.

Sawmills and pulp mills closing down are also causing big job losses and they do have lots of spin off jobs.

The most disgusting fact about the whole thing is we can buy Canadian wood cheaper in the USA than we can here :confused:

crab
07-17-2008, 08:11 PM
no one misses the point we just think and rise above!

Gravel Rat
07-17-2008, 11:57 PM
Rise above what when there is no work ?

The excavation market is so flooded with machines for hire everybody and their dog has a excavator. I was talking to a friend the other day he is in the excavation business been in business for 3-4 years now but has worked for contractors for 5 years previous. Anyhow he is disgusted that there is so many machine in the area all trying to get the same work.

Half the gravel trucks in the area are parked because there isn't enough work for them all. One of the guys parked his truck and found another job not even related to the construction or trucking. The other guys just parked their trucks and took the insurance off.

In the peak of the building boom there was so much work for a gravel truck so everybody that has a CDL bought one. I was going to too but changed my mind :laugh:

stuvecorp
07-18-2008, 12:57 AM
Rise above what when there is no work ?

The excavation market is so flooded with machines for hire everybody and their dog has a excavator. I was talking to a friend the other day he is in the excavation business been in business for 3-4 years now but has worked for contractors for 5 years previous. Anyhow he is disgusted that there is so many machine in the area all trying to get the same work.

Half the gravel trucks in the area are parked because there isn't enough work for them all. One of the guys parked his truck and found another job not even related to the construction or trucking. The other guys just parked their trucks and took the insurance off.

In the peak of the building boom there was so much work for a gravel truck so everybody that has a CDL bought one. I was going to too but changed my mind :laugh:

I thought you were going to use my idea to live in a shipping container and sell black dirt for cash while the gov't sends checks...