PDA

View Full Version : Newbie seeking advice and direction from you Pros

grass-hopper
07-14-2008, 03:55 AM
Hello, first time poster and new to the business. Currently I mow aprox. 20 residential (home builders model homes), one HOA property, and lots of acres to knock weeds down on. Ive just been using a 21' Airens push and renting a Walker to do the HOA. Im ready to make a bigger purchase as Im about to get some apartment buildings to mow. Right now Im also solo and tired as hell. Im super interested in a stand-on, but my only dealers here in Coeur d alene are Gravely and John Deere. So that leaves me with a Quik Trak or a Pro Stance. I understand they are all basically the same because of the whole Wright law suit. Anyway, suggestions and direction would be much appreciated. Im getting in over my head with work and need to upgrade soon and probably hire help.

grassleg
07-14-2008, 05:50 AM
if you are only using a push mower...even a 36" walk behind would be an upgrade and probably cut your times in half.. *edit* dont let up man, this business is for hustlers..keep bustin your a$$ and youll do allright...good work in good time makes money.

Ooomwizard
07-14-2008, 09:47 AM
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=13339

Lots of tips if ya haven't found it yet.

GL

DLAWNS
07-14-2008, 03:32 PM
I think you should definitely upgrade. All that work will burn you out over time. With your two choices I would say John Deere.

txgrassguy
07-15-2008, 12:03 AM
The Gravely and Deere units are made at the Auburn plant that Ariens (parent company of Gravely) bought out earlier this year.
That said pick the dealer with the best support for you the commercial guy. You'll find out any true commercial unit is pretty much like the others but it is dealer support that will really, really, really help you stay in business.
True story - bring a machine in for warranty work ( a safety switch malfunctioned - machine wouldn't run). Show up at the dealer whom I purchase literally every non reel machine I own (at least 21 and counting). Dealer pulls a competitors' machine off of the lift (busted switch was accessible only from below the machine) puts mine on the the lift, says come back in five minutes. Competitor is smoking mad and says to the dealer why is he first? A parts counter employee was out back, hears this and tells the competitor because I wasn't a jerk whining about every nickle when negotiating the price of my machines everyone knows I go to the head of the line.
The up side? Unless the dealer doesn't have my part in stock, I essentially have no down time. Has saved me literally thousands over the years in down time/unproductive costs.
Now I'm not saying don't negotiate but at the same time don't buy the same machine from another dealer somewhere else for $150.00 less then go into your local dealer and expect the same support you would get if you bought the same machine locally.
Heck, when I go in and tell my dealer I need a new machine he lets ME look at his dealer price book and asks if I can live with something like that price.

grass-hopper
07-15-2008, 12:38 AM
Thanks for all the advice and support men. I think I will buy the JD QT 657A. Mowed 11 lawns today 21' at a time. Cant wait for something to cut my time down.

grassleg
07-16-2008, 03:44 PM
seems like you love what youre doing..like the rest of us here.

if you think you love it now...wait till you are cutting 30" 40" 50" 60" at a time

you will realize after the first day, that all of a sudden you dont need help
but you need. more. yards.!:cool2:

mowerbrad
07-16-2008, 08:09 PM
You will notice a huge difference in your time once you get that stand-on. Those 11 lawns you mowed yesterday will seem like nothing with the stand-on, it will cut you time well over half. And I have to agree with grassguy, dealer support should be a big factor as to what machine you buy. If you buy all your equipment from one good dealer you will be treated very well for as long as you go to them. Best of luck to you.

grass-hopper
07-18-2008, 01:19 AM
My new JD quik trak 657 is suppose to arrive by next Thurs. I cant wait. Today was a night mare. Ive been renting a Walker to mow this HOA property and today I slid into a vinyl fence. Long story short, I had to walk all the way back to the truck to pull it out. Hahahahha, not to mention the homeowners dogs on the other side of the fence. Somedays you just have to laugh at yourself. Thanks for all your support and feedback gentlemen. This site rocks:drinkup:

Exact Rototilling
07-20-2008, 02:41 PM
" . . . Im getting in over my head with work and need to upgrade soon and probably hire help.

Grass Hopper,

I may be able to help you out, as a sub 1099, with your work load since I'm not all that busy with weekly mowing. I'm super busy in the Spring and Fall but not now. Just check with your Insurance Co. and check out any stipulations on hiring sub contractors.

I would of PM'ed you but you don't have enough post as of yet. :waving:

crazyman
07-20-2008, 08:27 PM
get you a 48'' stander by whright will be a smart move

bohiaa
07-20-2008, 11:48 PM
I see post like this all the time.....

there is NO way for someone to tell soeone else what direction for them to go,

try to follow adive you have herd all your life from your parrents,,,,

find out what you do best, and be the best there is at it.......