PDA

View Full Version : What do y'all think of dethatching attachments for walk-behinds?

CPLLTT
01-13-2002, 10:53 PM
We have lawns that are needing to be dethatched, but we can not justify buying or renting a vertical mower. Have any of you used those universal dethatching blades that bolt to rotary mowers? They look just like a mower blade with a spring at each end that scrapes the surface of the soil. I have used these on my own lawn for years with good success but not sure about using it on my clients' lawns. What do you think?
Thanks!

LAWNGODFATHER
01-14-2002, 01:27 AM
So your going to half azz do the job.

BTW a Power rake is around $1000 and is tax deductable!!!!

scagman
01-14-2002, 02:46 AM
When I worked for a golf couse the owners yard needed to be thatched bad well they had every piece of equipment you could think of except for a thatcher they had a thatcher for greens ,but that wouldnt work. Me and another guy got stuck with this 2 day job we had to use an old toro with those springs. It didnt bring thatch up for anything, we had to gone over that lawn 4 times in every direction. I think we ended up using 5 sets of those springs before it was done. My advice is rent a thatcher, you will regret it when your on the job wasting your time!!

mdb landscaping
01-14-2002, 07:38 AM
why not buy a jrco dethatcher for the mower? its not as expensive as powerrake, but it gets the job done and looks good when youve finished.

http://www.jrcoinc.com/dethatcher.html

AustinJ
01-14-2002, 02:41 PM
There's been some pretty heated discussions about dethatching on here in the past, I beleive. I think the consensus was that the JRCO dethatcher didn't actually do much to cure a real thatch problem, but that it worked fine as a lawn rake for picking up debris and leaves imbedded in the lawn after a winter. I don't remember what was said about those springy-blades for the rotary mowers... Might try a search, though.

CPLLTT
01-14-2002, 11:51 PM
Thanks for the responses, everyone. Your answers coincided with my feelings on the rake. I will check out the JRC rake, it should be better than nothing.