PDA

View Full Version : old lady got pissed!!!

Grass_Slayer
01-13-2002, 11:29 PM
i was chopping leaves on a yard a while back not thinking anything about all the dust i was throwing.

later that day i went back to the house to prune some roses and hold them back to the trelice. this woman who lives on the lot next to the one i was working on comes to talk to me.

she says that she was dissapointed that i mowed towards her house cause she could show me spots on her 98 cammaro that i had hit with stuff. and that she had just washed it that day and now it had dust all over it.

i proceeded to tell her that i cannot control the dust flow through my mower nor the occasional stick that i mow over.

i really wanted to show her all the dents in my truck from rocks from one of my yards! i even chipped my own windshield by accident once and she is complaining about her paint being a little nicked!!!!! some people

CPLLTT
01-13-2002, 11:55 PM
This is really a major safety issue. You should always be aware of what your equipment is doing, and where it is spitting stuff. I always try to work as far away from cars as possible. In a situation like that it might be beneficial to you to warn the owner of the car of what you are going to be doing and how it may affect his/her vehicle. Often they are willing to move it so you can proceed, and it shows that you are caring and have forethought.

bubble boy
01-14-2002, 12:02 AM
SOME PEOPLE???

how dare she be angry cause you chipped the paint on her car??

buddy, if i saw you do that to my car we'd be having a chat.

where's your mulching plate? or guard?

here's a thought: act like a pro and apologize.

65hoss
01-14-2002, 12:28 AM
Your a DAMN scrub!!!:angry:

Your hitting stuff into her car and chipping paint. Your completely responsible for fixing it. She has a great lawsuit against you. Who cares what you do to your own vehicle, but to a neighbor of a customer is different. Hitting sticks or other debris into others property is bad business not to mention completely stupid.

No, you can't control dust. That is different. Damaging property is different.

Chuck Sinclair
01-14-2002, 01:13 AM
65hoss, i could not have said it better.

If it were me and my car you would be walking around with your mower up your BUTT!:mad:

Hookset
01-14-2002, 01:31 AM
Just keep up the good work I would gladly come to henderson a couple days a week to take over your jobs. I don't recall ever chipping anyones paint in the past six years. KNOCK ON WOOD!

LAWNGODFATHER
01-14-2002, 01:44 AM
Hope you have insurance!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You are liable.

And 65Hoss a scrub is a little harsh. NOT!!!!!!!

What 65Hoss said also.LOL

I hope that this thread is a joke?

scagman
01-14-2002, 02:35 AM
I would be pissed off too if that were my camaro especiall if it were a Z28!!!Tell her to take it to macco cheaper if your not insured.

mdb landscaping
01-14-2002, 07:41 AM
i hope youre kidding, because you sound like an idiot. if you chipped her car, fess up and pay. dont make it like it was an act of nature. you wont get many clients doing that sort of thing.

SLS
01-14-2002, 08:10 AM
Well Grass-Slayer,

Looks as though 'sympathy' for your faux pas is a little short around here on this one. :D

I'd be pissed off about the scratched paint too. The machine operator is responsible for keeping the discharge chute pointed away from peoples valuables. The old "act of God" excuse does not cut it in this situation. Mistakes are going to happen but you must be prepared to accept responsibility and make amends when they do.

I'm sure that lady did not give a crap about what you do to your own vehicle either...I know that I don't. Wanna set your truck on fire??? OK by me...just don't burn mine up along with it!

And I would make it a point to blow the dust off the cars you've covered too. It's only 'professional'. ;)

walker-talker
01-14-2002, 10:07 AM
I am with everyone else. Dust you can't control, but when you go chipping peoples paint, that is different. Who gives a rats a$$ what you do to your own vehicle? Go back to the 'ol lady and apoligize and make it right with her.

MATT

rodney
01-14-2002, 10:48 AM
that old lady should have pimp smacked you ,

LAWNS AND MOWER
01-14-2002, 10:57 AM
Maybe this kind of attitude explains why Tennessee doesn't require car owners to carry any insurance whatsoever!!!!!!

LAWNS AND MOWER

65hoss
01-14-2002, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by LAWNS AND MOWER
Maybe this kind of attitude explains why Tennessee doesn't require car owners to carry any insurance whatsoever!!!!!!

LAWNS AND MOWER

Actually that is not true. Its been on the books for several years. New law now makes it required to provide proof.

Randy Scott
01-14-2002, 12:05 PM
old lady got pissed!!!

That's suprising!

GrassChopper
01-14-2002, 12:33 PM
This has got to be a joke. Nobody is that stupid.

AVRECON
01-14-2002, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by GrassChopper
This has got to be a joke. Nobody is that stupid.

I sure as hell hope it is. Folks like this is why we need enforcement of business licenses.

ohiolawnguy
01-14-2002, 01:25 PM
about 4 years ago, we had an icident where one of our guys ran ove a rock and it flew out into the street. the rock flew through a side mini window i guess youd call it. wasnt a mai window, but one of them small windows behind the rear drivers door. I didnt actually see it happen, but thats no reason for me to believe it didn't happen.

Anyways he stopped, and pulled over. I tried to talk to him about it, and gave him a business card, and our insurance agents number etc. he began to berate me that i could have killed him or his grilfriend who was with him. What he said was true, but that didn't happen.

The guy was becoming a real jerk about the situation. I told him dont worry our insurance company will take care of it. i was sorry it happened, but i didnt need his verbal abuse. so I told him point blank. " either you calm down and let me call my insurance agent so you can speak with him and give him your contact information(which he refused to give to me). Or I will just finish my job and leave and you can try to deal with the problem as you see fit.

So then he starts claiming to me about we should not only pay for the window, but also some tpe of payment for his "emotional suffering" that was the last straw for me. I called our agent , told him of the situation, and then said since youwont supply me with any information about yourself or even speakto the agent, ive done what i can d, have a nice day. we left. he contacted insurance company and window was paid for nothing more nothing less.

I wish people would understand that accidents do happen, and thats why they are called accidents. if he had gotten hurt, thats one thing, but to claim emotional suffering over a broken window. I think not!!!

kerr lawn
01-14-2002, 01:55 PM
i agree with everyone else on this topic that dust you can't control and that stuff settles and then you blow off accordingly. Now rocks, chips, sticks, bottles, cans, balls, and etc. if you can't see them than that was an accident but if you did see them than pick them up. I learned this the hard way and i will never ever let this happen again. I saw a lacrosse ball after i ran over it and then i had to doulbe cut the lawn so i ran back over it. Well i almost hit my best friend with it who was helping me for the day to be nice and i broke some siding which i did get fixed. Because i know a siding dealer so i was able to keep the customer, but act like a pro. If you do the customer will understand as long as they are reasonable people and will keep you as their lawn man/women. Also another reason to act like a pro is that old lady will never hire you for anything and that is just like flushing money down the toliet. Furthermore, depending on how good of friends the old lady and your customer are will depend on if you still have that customer in a month. God gifted everyone of us with a knodging, now put it to good use please. I'm sorry to say this probably isn't a joke, i see this kind of stuff all the time in maryland.

Randy Scott
01-14-2002, 02:08 PM
i really wanted to show her all the dents in my truck from rocks from one of my yards! i even chipped my own windshield by accident once and she is complaining about her paint being a little nicked!!!!! some people

Don't you think after one or two dents you would have tried to correct this problem? Seen what was causing this issue? Moved your truck? I understand you are only 17 but you need to try and be a little more careful, think ahead, look ahead, common sense, etc.. It's not that difficult. You damaged her car, your responsible. If you were not there, this wouldn't have happened, so it's your fault and your responsibility. Judge Judy says pay up, and grow up!

thelawnguy
01-14-2002, 02:16 PM
I read the original post, and understand the problem to be dust from the mowing, not chips from rocks being thrown up. Correct me if I am in error.

FWIW I buy car wash tickets by the book of 10 and have them in my truck. On the rare occasion a neighbor gripes about dust on their vehicle I will politely offer them an apology and a comp wash. It may soothe sore nerves and maybe gain you a customer.

gogetter
01-14-2002, 02:31 PM
Bill, when I first read everyone harping on him about chipping the paint, I thought they had read it wrong too. Then I went back and re-read it. He does state that he chipped the paint.

I'm wondering if the whole post was a joke because he hasn't responded. If not, it's pretty sad that he doesn't get that he's in the wrong!!

If he's chipping paint on a neighbors car (and chipping paint on his truck regularly), then either he doesn't have a discharge chute in place, or he might want to consider going in the opposite direction with the mower so the disharge is facing the other way.

65hoss
01-14-2002, 02:45 PM
she says that she was dissapointed that i mowed towards her house cause she could show me spots on her 98 cammaro that i had hit with stuff.and that she had just washed it that day and now it had dust all over it.

i proceeded to tell her that i cannot control the dust flow through my mower nor the occasional stick that i mow over.

she is complaining about her paint being a little nicked!!!!! some people

Looks like it was more than dust.

E-man
01-14-2002, 02:56 PM
If you nicked or scratched her car, fess up and be a man.

scagman
01-14-2002, 03:43 PM
I understand you can't control dust ect. That doesnt mean your not responsible for whatever your mower throws, be a proffesional and pay for it. Live and learn.

cos
01-14-2002, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by thelawnguy
I read the original post, and understand the problem to be dust from the mowing, not chips from rocks being thrown up. Correct me if I am in error.

FWIW I buy car wash tickets by the book of 10 and have them in my truck. On the rare occasion a neighbor gripes about dust on their vehicle I will politely offer them an apology and a comp wash. It may soothe sore nerves and maybe gain you a customer.

I agree!

I would have ATLEAST offered to wash the dust with a hose or givin a few dollars towards a wash, then MAYBE the chips AND ONLY maybe the chips would have been a lesser issue.

If it was me, I would be furious about chipping my car. You'll be in small claims in about 30- 40 days.

LAWNS AND MOWER
01-14-2002, 04:54 PM
Lawnguy-- I keep comp car wash passes also. One time I was blowing out some gutters and hit a swampy spot in the gutter. Wind was whipping about 35 mph and I covered this white car parked about 50 yards away. Located the owner of the car and gave him the pass. He was really cool about the whole situation. Back to denting cars, I was push mowing a beauty salon and this lady was getting in her car and noticed her paint was chipped. She confronted me about it. I looked at the area in question and noticed there was rust around the ding. She still sweared I did it. I told her to have her husband look at it and have him give me a call. Never heard back. Lesson to be learned about this thread is GET LIABILITY INSURANCE!!!!!!!!!! I put it off for 8 years but finally got it and have used it twice.

LAWNS AND MOWER

lawnkid
01-14-2002, 05:46 PM
You can't control dust becuase it's settled on the dirt underneath the grass. One thing you sould do though is before you mow an area, pick up the twigs and sticks if you are side-discahrging. 65Hoss is right. She could sue you out of business. A solution if you are discharging is to put together a little plate that covers the side discharge area. Take a piece of steel that will cover the hole perfect and then weld it to a pipe so that you can put it on with your hand without shutting off the mower. Hook up a chain to your mnower that will keep the lttle invention right on the mower. Works Great . Adjust it so that it will secure itself to the catcher brackets. Then you won't need to worry about shooting rocks or sticks out. It is also good if you are cutting between close houses and people don't like it when you shoot clippings all over thir beds or house. Be safe and Careful.

Lawn Dog2001
01-14-2002, 06:05 PM
Next time be a gentleman and ask the lady politely to move her car. Controlling your dust is NOT her problem. Its yours. If I was you I would go back and apologize. Then hope she dosent sue me for damage to the car.

Grass_Slayer
01-14-2002, 06:11 PM
i wasnt going to be an a$$ about it to her, so i did apologize and she thanked me. i have been more careful since then and tried to pick up all that i see in the yard.

she just told me there was one little nick in the side where something hit it. i then apologized profusely and told her i would turn the opposite way when i mowed next time.

i cant stand to be mean to people cause i dont like people being mean to me so i apologized.

Randy Scott
01-14-2002, 06:14 PM
Good man! We all screw up once in awhile.

Grass_Slayer
01-14-2002, 06:31 PM
i also forgot to tell u guys what made me mad about it. she was really mad at me and trying to boss me around about it when she talked to me. i figured she had a right to it cause i hit her car with something, but i then went to the place where she works and she wasnt very nice to me or my employee there either.

i was also told a couple of years ago that i was not liable for someone elses vehicle unless it was on the property i was mowing. i see now that i was wrong and i will now be extra careful!!

and what is ur business's name guy from selmer?? just wondering.

summitgroundskeeping
01-14-2002, 06:49 PM
MAN, don't you have respect for other people's property, wether you are "legally" liable or not. ANd yes, you can control where your debris goes. dude you are so lucky, that could have been some guys car who is like me. I wouldn't have complained and I would have beat the living crap out of you. You dusted a car w/your mower, you freakin ahole. Scrub

Turfdude
01-14-2002, 08:13 PM
COMMON SENSE!!!

This is something that must always be stressed. Always direct debris away from people, homes, cars, pools and other areas of interest. Dont run over sticks, trash or other debris that can cause damage to operator, persons, or property.

Bob

kerr lawn
01-14-2002, 08:28 PM
i have a back window cover on my truck and then i attached a sign that says
1. SAFETY
2. QUALITY
3. QUANTITY
I THINK THIS EXPLAINS A LOT OF THINGS
i got made fun of first thing by my workers, then i told them that this is my income and yours. If you screw up, it all could be lost.

customcut
01-14-2002, 08:56 PM
This post really shows me how many responsible guys are out there. Do you guys think this kid will ever blow dust again after reading all of this lol:blush: if he doesnt learn somthing from this post there may not be any hope. but on a lighter note it did get a great reaction from the crowd

johnnywalker
01-14-2002, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by Grass_Slayer
i also forgot to tell u guys what made me mad about it. she was really mad at me and trying to boss me around about it when she talked to me. i figured she had a right to it cause i hit her car with something, but i then went to the place where she works and she wasnt very nice to me or my employee there either.

I'm with you Slayer. If people are rude I'm rude right back. If they are civilised in their complaint then the issues will be adressed. If I wanted to smile & nod I'd be working at McDonalds.

bubble boy
01-14-2002, 10:47 PM
so you damage my car and i have to be polite?

with business skills like that sounds like mcdonalds might be in your future.

Planter
01-15-2002, 12:41 AM
The profile show that you're 17. I can understand the mistake. Bet the "old lady" was about 30?

ADLAWNCUTTERS
01-15-2002, 04:00 AM
too funny. over the years i and my guys have damaged things and always made good on them. once an old guy complained that he just wash his car and i got dust & grass on it. he was right so i reached in my pocket and gave him $10.00 to get it washed again.not because i was worried about him making a stink ,it was the right thing to do.if you damaged my truck i would not be mad. i would ask for your name & address so i could send you the bill.

walker-talker
01-15-2002, 10:11 AM
Here's a scenario. It's a dry, dusty and windy day. Your ZTR is kicking up dust. The dust is blowing onto a neighbor's car 20-30 feet away. Do you still feel that is your fault and you should offer to pay to have the car washed? These are factors that are beyond your control. I mow the front lawns of a condo complex a block long with approx. 50 cars parked. What would you do?

MATT

GrassChopper
01-15-2002, 01:01 PM
I would AT LEAST blow off the cars. It is your fault. If you weren't mowing, the cars wouldn't be dirty.

KirbysLawn
01-15-2002, 01:16 PM
I can't figure out why this would be posted? I was hoping this was a joke but I guess it's not, no wonder it's hard to gain respect in this industry. PLEASE explain why you are surprised she was pissed? Who cares how many dings you have in your truck while doing your work and why does this matter? This is one of the dumbest things I have every read on this forum.

If I spray chemicals on the trees in your neighbors lawn and it settles on your clean/nice car would that be ok? What if it caused damage to the paint, would YOU be pissed? Man this is stupid.....

LAWNS AND MOWER
01-15-2002, 01:37 PM
Kirby-- I hear you loud and clear. It's simple. TAKE RESPONSIBILTY FOR YOUR ACTIONS !!!!!!!

TALLEY-HOE
01-15-2002, 02:18 PM
I AGREE WITH 65HOSS. TAKE SOME PRIDE IN OTHER PEOPLE'S PROPERTY. BE AS CAREFUL AS YOU CAN & IF SOMETHING HAPPENS TRY TO BE POLITE & HANDLE IT AS A PROFESSIONAL. WHAT MAY LOOK UNIMPORTANT TO YOU MAY BE A PRIDE & JOY TO SOMEONE ELSE. I ONCE KNOCHED OUT THREE WINDOWS ON A CHURCH BUS ON A THURSDAY MORNING. THAT SATURDAY THAT BUS WAS SCHEDULED TO BE USED TO TAKE A BUS LOAD OF SENIOR CITIZENS TO LAMBERT IN SIKESTON, MO. SENT BUS TO GLASS SHOP THAT SAME DAY- THEY DID A TEMP. REPAIR--USED BUS THAT WEEKEND--GLASS SHOP FIXED BUS THE NEXT WEEK. THEY HAD TO ORDER GLASS FOR REPAIR. NEEDLESS TO SAY I GOT SOME OTHER CUSTOMERS OUT THIS LITTLE MISHAP. I/M JUST GLAD NO ONE WAS SITTING IN THE PASSENGERS SEATS WHEN THE ACCIDENT HAPPENED BECAUSE ONE OF THE ROCKS WENT COMPLETELY THRU THE BUS. OH YEA!! I HAVE INSURANCE!!!!!!!!

shawn'slawns
01-18-2002, 11:37 PM
YOU HAVE ACKNOWLEDGED YOUR MISTAKE BUT STILL SEEM TO THINK SHE SHOULD NOT HAVE HAD ANY ATTITUDE? TAKE A BUTT CHEWING AND CORRECT IT SHE HAD A REASON TO BE MAD! IF I WAS TARGET SHOOTING WITH MY GUN AND THE BULLET RICHOCHED AND HIT YOU IN THE ARM ON YOUR PROPERTY???????
SEE MY POINT. FURTHERMORE YOUR COMPANY NAME IS EDGY "GRASS SLAYER" BUT YOU MIGHT WANT TO CHANGE IT. NAME SOUNDS LIKE YOU TEAR THINGS UP.:blob2:

Green Care
01-19-2002, 01:20 AM
Are you the Grass/Leaf Slinger or Slayer boy you was luckyyyyyyyy

Do you know that was unprofesional.

Since you don't know how to operate your equipment

I suggest you RAKE BUDDY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

geogunn
01-19-2002, 08:47 AM

LAWNS AND MOWER

thanks for the slam to all of us that live here.

for your information, untill recently, in lieu of insurance, TENNESSEE has had a financial responsibility law.

that law requires that with out proof of liability insurance you may be required to post a cash bond if you are involved in a wreck.

and besides, I doubt even south carolina requires that you carry "comprehensive" coverage which would be the coverage that one would use to get the car fixed in this case.:rolleyes:

thanks l&m. now why don't you go down to the state capitol and run the stars and bars back up the flag pole?

GEO

LAWNS AND MOWER
01-19-2002, 12:13 PM
Now, now Geogunn. Don't get in a tizzy down there in Graceland. 65hoss had made the same point you did. I was unaware that Tenn had made this change. By the way, I'm from North Carolina not South Carolina as you assumed in your post.

LAWNS AND MOWER

PS Has Tenn made a law yet that cars need to be inspected every year? I can spot a Tenn car a mile away in my town.

LAWNGODFATHER
01-19-2002, 06:48 PM
Let make you you all have the terms correct.

Liability ins, gets the others persons car fixed and covers them for medical covrage. Personal.

Comprehensive ins, gets your car fixed also, and same as the one obove. Personal full coverage.

Laws say you need to at least have liability ins. Banks can tell you, you need to have comprehensive, to cover their liabilities.

Grass_Slayer would need to you his general liability ins. LCO damage coverage.

Three different types of ins.

geogunn
01-20-2002, 12:35 AM
Now, now Geogunn. Don't get in a tizzy down there in Graceland....By the way, I'm from North Carolina not South Carolina as you assumed in your post.

LAWNS AND MOWER

PS Has Tenn made a law yet that cars need to be inspected every year? I can spot a Tenn car a mile away in my town.

l&m--no tizzy here. and since you want to pass out some corrections, so will I.

you ought to be able to figure out from my signature line that I am located about 400 miles from graceland.

and thanks for the new slam. no TENNESSEE doesn't have one of those scandalous inspection laws. every state I know of that has that law has about a million shade tree gas stations offering the service and to get the sticker it costs you a new muffler, springs or shock abaorbers. no repair--no sticker, simple. 60 minutes and dateline run those stories every time they need ratings.

I had forgot how advanced you carolineans are. thanks for the reminder.

GEO

odin
01-20-2002, 12:48 AM
geo
hi geo

Illnois years ago made us do a pickup inspection but they quit that stupid deal
Never did it on cars though
Mississippi use to have it im pretty sure they still do..
I agree inspection laws are stupit

HOMER
01-20-2002, 09:21 AM
As mad as I get when I nick my own paint, I'm sure I would be just a little bit more upset if some piss-ant with a mower-------who was side discharging without any guard, mulching kit, deflector............anything............did damage to my truck, car, whatever.

I've been riding down the road when mower operators were throwing crap out into traffic............if they had damaged my vehicle they would have seen me pissed off too.

It just ain't cool.:mad:

Some of us work hard, real hard, to drive decent vehicles. After driving junk for so many years getting your new ride hit by anything is a sure bet one would be pissed off.

Be more careful and a little more understanding.

Question: How much are YOU paying a month for YOUR truck?

My guess is it was given to you by MOM & DAD.

Scraper
01-20-2002, 02:51 PM
Geo...Please come up here and run for Governor. You are straight on with the inspection scam. If they can't find anything else, they always say you need new windshield wipers! BS if you ask me!

greensman
01-20-2002, 04:15 PM
Do you mow lawns out of 75 chevy wagon?

geogunn
01-20-2002, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by Scraper
Geo...Please come up here and run for Governor. You are straight on with the inspection scam.

thanks for the invite, scrapper!

I'd enjoy the politics of a run for GOV. but I'd make more money oening one of those inspection stations!:p

GEO

RON66106
01-20-2002, 09:18 PM
There are three kinds of people in this world.
People who never learn from their mistakes (stupid )
People who learn fron their mistakes ( smart )
People who not only learn from their mistakes but learn from others mistakes as well (wise )

Where do you fit in????????????

brentsawyer
01-20-2002, 09:52 PM
Ever done time for hit-and-run?

LAWNS AND MOWER
01-21-2002, 10:26 AM
I'm just glad my auto insurance covers uninsured and underinsured motorists.

LAWNS AND MOWER