PDA

View Full Version : Would you hire a H.S Student?

lawnboyil
01-14-2002, 12:33 AM
I am a Junior in H.S I have made a few attepmt at getting a job working for someone else in the green industry but the 2 years between now and when the insurance man is going to freak putting me on the payroll is a long time. My question If i know what i am doing and ican do the work safely what is the problem? Would any of you take the risk to put a high school student on the payroll?

alex

scagman
01-14-2002, 12:40 AM
I was a sophmore in highschcool when I got a job for a lco. I believe it was 2000, and there was no problem. I learned from him and now I have my own lco.

Grass_Slayer
01-14-2002, 12:43 AM
i partly run my business with the help of my dad and i am in high school. i do all the work and he makes all the important decisions about the equip and the larger landscaping jobs. we sort of work in partnership. i have one guy that works for me during the season and he is a sophmore. he is really good help too.

65hoss
01-14-2002, 01:31 AM
Based on you previous post about damaging others property I would NOT hire you. Your to irresponsible, you would cost a legit business to much money fixing the damage you cause.

LAWNGODFATHER
01-14-2002, 02:23 AM
Law says you must be at least 14 with a work permit from your school.

And no, cirtain curcumstances maby.

But GrassyFras did work for me this summer.

BTW McDonnalds I'm sure is hiring. If they will hire a minor.

It's the insurance problems not the know how

Russ
01-14-2002, 08:25 AM
I thoutht OHSA required anyone running power equipment to be 18 years of age? Am I wrong?

mdb landscaping
01-14-2002, 08:31 AM
i worked for a LCO when i was 15. everybody has to start somewhere. next time you apply for a job, let them know you have experience(if you do) and are capable of working for them.

awm
01-14-2002, 09:16 AM
this aint the time to be asking lco s for a job.
wait until late spring,preferably after a wet spell.
also apply on monday. a lot of help lets it hang to far out on the weekends,an dont make it in on monday.plus the person hiring
may have more time to talk to u then.
there some high schoolers id leave doing a job by themselves.
others wouldnt be allowed close to my equipment.
later now ,good luck

Michael Fronczak
01-14-2002, 10:28 AM
I also, remember hearing somwhere that commercial mowers are considered ...., and you needed to be 18 to run them. Don't know about trimmers, or hand labor? The right person , Yes I would hire. When I was 16 I was managing a small marina, owner was going through a divorce not there hardly ever, I learned alot, he made money too.

mklawnman
01-14-2002, 11:14 AM
Back when i was 16 i worked at a local golf course and i was able to use hand power tools, golf carts, and lawn mowers, not any of the bigger lawn mowers or front end loader. But now im 18 with my own lawn care business and i know theres no problem with that. We, talking about my dad and my brother, dont hire anyone, if we would decide to hire someone we would have to get workmans compansation, cause if its family related workers then there isnt as much of a risk.
I wouldnt mind having a friend of mine work for me a little bit but i dont think i would want him working full time for me, i just see a conflict with it, like they wont take me too seriously sometimes, rather hire someone that i dont know who needs a job. Thats what ill probley do once im out of school
Matt (Lawnman)

Fantasy Lawns
01-14-2002, 11:15 AM
No ..... +18 only .... prefer + 21

lawnranger44
01-14-2002, 11:21 AM
I was 12 or 13 when I started working with an LCO...but he was a friend and it was only part time...I started doing full time last summer.
He was very careful as to which equipment I used and which I didn't in my first few years, because of some law I'm not sure about the specifics

Randy Scott
01-14-2002, 02:50 PM
Alot of variables involved here. Would have to depend on the situation.

bubble boy
01-14-2002, 03:50 PM
regarding what awm said, i would love it if i could secure help now for the summer. never too early.
i've got three guys committed already, thats three less spring headaches.

chicks-dig-lawn-guys
01-14-2002, 04:53 PM
I got hired at age 17. All I get to do is trim and blow though.

LAWNGODFATHER
01-14-2002, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by Russ
I thoutht OHSA required anyone running power equipment to be 18 years of age? Am I wrong?

The Insurance companies set the ages. OSHA regulates safty.

The biggest reason for 18 is they are not minors. They can be held liable for all their actions.

Turfdude
01-14-2002, 08:56 PM
I hired my first H.S. Student this season. He's 17 and had worked u.t.t. for a friend of mine and was properly trained w/ the equipment. I checked it out w/ my workman's comp carrier first and all is okay as long as he has working papers. Normally I would not hire this young, but this kid has experience, works great, doesn't *****, isn't a primadonna and made better turns w/ a belt drive 52 than a lot of gus I've seen in their mid 20's who supposedly could "run anything". This guy used this 52 for a 9 hour day his first day and left not 1 bad turn mark anywhere!!

He'll graduate this year and at this point is not interested in college. I'll definately hire him back, and by next year offer him an assistant crew chief position.

lawnboyil
01-14-2002, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by 65hoss
Based on you previous post about damaging others property I would NOT hire you. Your to irresponsible, you would cost a legit business to much money fixing the damage you cause.

65hoss just to set you striaght that was not me i do my damnedest not to hit anything. My old man would skin my a#$ alive.

Also i have benn mowing since i was about 12 or 13 i have the experience. i will basiclly be running a crew this season. I want to see what the general seniment is here. i am more than capable then some old people i see around here. but the magic number for insurance. Since working for my dad we can bypass some of the workmens comp stuff

65hoss
01-14-2002, 11:44 PM
Your right LawnboyiL. I apologize.

To answer you question, yes I would hire a h.s. kid if he worked hard. My dad started me doing this when I was 9 or 10.

rodfather
01-15-2002, 02:17 PM
I probably would, but here in NJ there is a limit to the number of hours high school students can work per week. I guess the education system here doesn't want after-school work to interfere with studies and getting a diploma.

stslawncare
01-15-2002, 03:53 PM
every area is a little different when it comes to the specifics on what a person can and cant do, and there are sometimes exceptions to the rules also (learned all this yesterday in business class) i believe hearin someone say when i got my working papers (2 years ago) that 14 hp was the max around here, but there were exceptions. now lets use this scenerio:
i come to u for a summer job, i have tons of experience operating a 50 hp tractor with large implements, in both open and confined areas, i have experience operating various sized small tractors also, i have experience operating back pack and hand held blowers, straight shaft and curved shaft weed wackers, i am a very hard worker, and can work long days, i have working papers, and a lot of experience in the field, i do as told, and do quality work and dont complain, i have great communications skills, and great customer skills also and last of all i am 16. with all that said would u hire me?

lawnkid
01-15-2002, 04:09 PM
I am only 14 years old and a buddy of mine who is 13 and I run a neighborhood business with 13 current customers. All my life I loved cutting the grass. I started when I was 5 because before that I couldn't reach the handle bar on the mower. My neighbor, who is a n elderly woman has had a lawn service provider for about 20 years and every time they would cut her grass, I would watch until they pulled away in the truck. I guess I am a lucky kid because my uncle's a landscaper on the side and I have picked up a lot from him. When I was smaller, when I couldn't operate the walk-behind or trimmer, he used to let be go around the yard with the blower and mess around or pick weeds.
I guess I am just obsessed because even in school, the teachers would always tell my parents at conferences that my grades are great but he has a thing where if there is a landscaper or city worker mowing the lawn or plowing the drive, I would stand up in the middle of the class and stare, sometimes during a test. Currently my G.P.A. as a freshman is a 3.3 and I also lay other sports so I keep busy. I only cut grass on Saturdays and do things like bush trimmings, clean-ups, and spreading mulch in the summer. This is good money for needed things. About now I'd say I make the most money an hour in my whole school. My buddy is in 8th grade and he was just introduced last year to actually being serious when cutting grass. I PROBABLY NEED A PERMIT OR SOMTHING BUT THE COPS ALWAYS DRIVE BY, SEE ME CUTTING, AND WAVE. when I'm old enough to drive I'll buy a used truck in good shape and a plow and work the winter for relatives and my dads rental properties.

Current Equipment[U]
-Scag 52" SWZ Hydro/2 wheel velkie
-Tanaka TBC-2510 trimmer
-Homelite multi-attach trimmer
-Echo PB-602
-Stihl HS-80( 24")
-Jrco Detatcher

Scraper
01-15-2002, 04:29 PM
Why Scottie? Looking for a job? ;)

mklawnman
01-15-2002, 04:30 PM
Hey Lawnkid
Im 18, sounds like your off to a good start already with your services. i do all the services you do too, though i dont do plowing yet. I've been told this alot, but try not to work too much in your teen years either, Have fun with friends and party sometimes, not work all the time. I manage through High school with my business with no problem and being in sports was an extra challenge too. I dont know if you have insurance yet or not or if u can get it, ask your parents for it. If you plan on doing this for your career id maybe suggest go to college and learn about turf management, and landscaping. Alot of older guys on this site will tell you that nows the time to get an education when your young. I was tempted to just go out and work after highschool but my dad told me to get a degree then do work. We have the rest of our lives to work, so don't pass up the opportunity to get a degree now, when your young.
Nice setup, and keep up the work.
Matt (Lawnman)

stslawncare
01-15-2002, 05:50 PM
money talks glenn lol. only reason i said all that is to prove age is a number (exceptions of course) but if u find the right person for the job and its legal go for it. i have had two other guys my age work for me in the past, both very good.

dlandscaping
01-18-2002, 05:31 PM
i saw a reply about having to be 18 to operate a walkbehind, i wasnt told this when i bought my first walkbehind at 13 brand new. ive purchased a few more without trouble. for working i was hired for a large snow storm by a lco who lives down the road and i drove a bobcat 462 i think on drives stacking snow when i was 8 and have been working for myself and him since operating everything from tractors to hand held blowers without a problem. For the most part high school students do not have their life on track and think little about how messing up now will affect them for the rest of their life which may be a reason an lco wont hire you. around here many high school/junior high kids work. My brother who is 12 worked with me all last year along with another highschool student for a medium size lco. i never heard anything about having to have insurance on us because of our age. Personally there really isnt a problem with me because i am very careful with the equipment but i have seen how some highschoolers drive and i couldnt imagine what they would do behind the wheel of a tractor or ztr etc.

FrankenScagMachines
01-22-2002, 05:54 PM
-I'm 14 1/2 (will be 15 in May)
-Have 7 years experience lawn mowing.
-Love mowing & grounds maintenance work
-Like to work hard (beleive it or not)
-Like to repair power equip. and am good at it.
-Enjoy designing and building things, like snowplows for lawnmowers, garden tractors.
-In the last two years or so I've really gotten into quality cutting and striping (my lawn is best looking on the block)
-Have experience with many different kinds of lawn mowers- garden tractors, rear engine riders, push mowers, string trimmers, blowers, mid deck ZTR's, etc.
Have worked for John Deere dealer, mainly Janitorial work and lawn mowing. I mowed their several acres with a demo model M655 (mid deck 25hp Kohler powered 54" deck) many times while working there. That was kind of a seasonal job this past summer. I think the maximum I was allowed to work was like 16 or 18 hours a week, but the hours varied on your age. crazy thing was I wasn't allowed to touch a wrench back in the shop, but I was allowed to run a 25hp ZTR on somewhat steep slopes near a highway at an intersection with lots of traffic? And they did let me put together some things like a chainsaw and a pull behind sprayer to put in the showroom, but i couldn't do anything else with tools. They said it was insurance, well if they were so careful about that, then insurance obviously didn't mind my using a powerful mower like that, so it must be ok in my area? I live in south central IN. Mowing that was about an all day (8 hour shift) job, with trimming because I had to move all of the garden tractors and other power equip on display in the front yard, plus a bunch of utility tractors and attachments in the side yard. I'm allowed to operate all that stuff but not a wrench...hmmmm...... gotta wonder.... I'm sure it fills someone's pocket, that's why they're so tight about it. I've got several references if that helps. I don't gripe either unless I have real good reason too. Would you hire me this spring?
Eric

LAWNGODFATHER
01-22-2002, 07:23 PM
BushHogBoyThey said it was insurance,

The INS. CO's set the standards.

BushHogBoythen insurance obviously didn't mind my using a powerful mower like that, so it must be ok in my area? crazy thing was I wasn't allowed to touch a wrench back in the shop, but I was allowed to run a 25hp ZTR on somewhat steep slopes near a highway at an intersection with lots of traffic?

The standards are set by geniralizations.

Turning wrenchs 18, mowing 14. The INS, Co knows your mowing, but does not know what you are mowing.

dlandscapingi saw a reply about having to be 18 to operate a walkbehind, i wasnt told this when i bought my first walkbehind at 13 brand new

You don't have to be 18 to "BUY" one. And I'm sure your parents were there for the purchase also. PLus you don't have INS. for Employees at 13.

FrankenScagMachines
01-25-2002, 11:58 AM
Thanks Lawngodfather! That cleared things up alittle. I'd like to find a LCO job this spring.
Eric

Samurai WeedWacker
01-25-2002, 04:15 PM
Here in Wyoming it is illegal to hire anyone under the age of 18 to use any kind of power equipment. You should ask your local state Employment Service or Job Service about the law in your state.

Even if your insurance policy doesn't specifically state anything about age of employees, the insurance company would surely refuse to pay any claim wherein you had not followed the letter of the law.

I expect a homeowner would find it impossible to collect on a claim involving an underage person hired illegally.