PDA

View Full Version : Circular Pattern Help

CALandscapes
07-14-2008, 06:03 PM
I have a client who wants a somewhat strange "array" of pavers laid around the perimeter of her back yard in addition to a patio area. She's insistent upon 12x12 pavers.

This being said, she has a light pole about 10 feet away from the edge of the proposed patio area; she wants a walk made going up to and then around the lightpole in a circle (note that the light pole has a bed running around it; the radius of the circular bed is about 1.5 ft.)

I'd like to keep the theme of the larger pavers and cut them out to go around the light pole garden bed, but I'm uncertain of the larger, thinner pavers ability to hold up to being cut as much as will be necessary. So that's question #1 - Can we cut these typical 12x12 concrete pavers (about 1" thick) or will they crumble.

Question #2 will be, if we're unable to cut, does anyone have a recommendation for a design to go around the light pole that will not only look decent (doesn't have to be award winning; the back yard is a clusterf*** - we're laying the pavers more for function than aesthetics; the client's mother is elderly and would like to be able to walk around the back yard and look at the various hodge-podged gardens) and will also not be too difficult to cut. The best idea that I can come up with is the cut small pavers in wedge shapes, lay them around the circular bed, and then bring the pavers out about 3.5'. I would then run a herringbone type paver in a soldier course around the circular walk as well as up the straight shot (about 6 or 8') back to the patio, which will be the larger (12x12) pavers.

So:

Question 1: Can 12x12 pavers be cut to be laid around a circular bed.

Question 2: Input on traditional paver ideas for running around the circular bed if the larger pavers can not be cut.

P.S. - This normally isn't a job we'd take, but, in mid-July when works slowing up, we'll take what we can get ;);)

Thanks for the help.

-Chase

CALandscapes
07-15-2008, 07:59 PM
Thanks for all of the responses...

:confused::confused::confused::confused:

richallseasons
07-17-2008, 12:17 AM
I first have to ask, if this is not a job you would normally take then why are you considering it? are you just nervous about the future and money coming in? From what you describe it sounds like its going to look bad when done and I gotta ask even if business is slow do you really want to get involved. Any way I dont see why you could not cut a 12x12 just like any other paver but are we talking about the home depot kinda crap?

Mark Antunes
07-22-2008, 12:01 PM
Chase,

In response to your questions, to make your life easier I suggest the following; try to find a local manufacturer of pavers that makes a large scale circle pallet and use the units that fit your needs. You can use as many outer rings as you need and dispose of the center or save it for another job. Your customer will have to pay for the entire pallet even though there will be significant unused product left over. The savings in labor and diamond saw blades will probably work to about the same cost for the customer or even less. If you are not sure what companies make pavers in your area, go to the website of the ICPI at www.ICPI.org where you can find a listing of paver manufacturers in North America.

If that option fails and you are forced to cut your own circle pattern, make sure you are using a 12”X 12” paver that meets the minimum industry product height/thickness of 2-3/8”. You should be able to cut those units to the angularity required and have them be serviceable for pedestrian use. Your cuts will have to fit tightly because you will expose the aggregate of the units when they are cut and that will contrast with the surface appearance. To avoid needlessly wasting time and product, pre-design your circle by getting large sheets of cardboard like that used to ship freezers and refrigerators from an appliance dealer. Then you can diagram out the entire pattern so that all of your angles fit. Then cut out those cardboard unit diagrams and use them as a template to make your unit paver cuts. It is a lot easier to draw on cardboard, cut it, and throw some away, and then have the pieces fit than by doing it with pavers and burning up saw blades.

Mark S. Antunes
Technical Information Manager, Hardscaping
EP Henry Corporation