PDA

View Full Version : Equipment for very small scale operation

aggie20
01-14-2002, 12:32 AM
I'm a student who would like to make a little money this year cutting grass. It would be a one man operation with at most 10 or 12 yards; probably like most of you guys were doing when you were 14 years old. I have very little money for the initial equipment investment ($500-$600) and would like to know the best route to start up with. Should I buy a brand new bottom of the line non-comercial mower, a used commercial grade mower, or a few used garage sale hunks of junk. Should I have the option of bagging and mulching? Is a blower neccesary? Also should i worry about taxes and licensing? Thanks for any info, this is a great site.

LAWNGODFATHER
01-14-2002, 01:49 AM
A pushmower, stick it in the trunk of your car.

Also should i worry about taxes and licensing? Thanks for any info, this is a great site.

Umm Taxes and INS. yes. Uncle Sam will gladly take your pushmower and car away for failure to pay.

Oooooops wait your 14.

Pull the pushmower behind your bike.

scagman
01-14-2002, 02:16 AM
I would buy with a $600 limit. Yard machines 21" at the home depot runs around $200, Homelite straight shaft trimmer $100, Homelight Quicktatch with add on edger $100 for the trimmer and $59 for the edger, Homelite backpack blower. I know this all sounds like a real crappy setup, but for only having 10- 15 lawns it will get you through a summer or until you can afford better. Remember when you buy homeowner equip just take extra good care of it. Should you get licensed and insured? Well Ill tell you that around my area a 14 year old with a pushmower trying to make a buck will never be likely to be licensed or insured. What they dont know is that if they are mowing maybe a new customers lawn that they dont know well and they throw a rock through their bay window " ILL MOW YOUR LAWN 10 TIMES WITHOUT CHARGE" will not cover this. If I were you I would fill out the app. for a license its like $15 bucks and put down the $300 for basic insurance. Best of luck to you.

LAWNGODFATHER
01-14-2002, 02:19 AM
He is 14 can't get licensed or ins. for anything!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

scagman
01-14-2002, 02:31 AM
Hmmmmmmm!! I wasnt aware of that, hey just dont charge sales tax.

David Haggerty
01-14-2002, 06:32 AM
But it really doesn't make a difference, either you or your parents are liable. If you damage something or injure someone, you could literally be paying the rest of your life.

As far as equipment, see a dealer for dealer financing.
You'll make more profit with good commercial equipment. Even if you turn around and sell it in the fall.

Dave

aggie20
01-14-2002, 12:39 PM
I am 21, I was saying that the operation I'd like to get going would be similar to that of a 14 year old (except i can drive) due to my limited funds and time. For my situation as a college student, mowing a few lawns two days a week will produce far better income than fitting an hourly job in-between classes in a college town notorious for min wage. I'd rather not finance anyting and add to my $25,000 student loan debt. I'm just looking to start up at very low risk with low profit as compared to what most in the industry would expect. I'd still make out better than working 16 hour weekends for $5.50 hour. I'll go check out Home Depot, thanks for serious info Scragman. As far as license and insurance, who might I contact for that info? What type of insurance would it be? Do I need a special license to pull the mower behind my bicycle Lawngodfather?

Highpoint
01-14-2002, 01:51 PM
Aggie20.

Contact the your city business license branch. They can tell you the info. Personally, I'd just go out and hussle up some yards in your neighborhood. If your from that area, it ought to be easy. Naturally it would be nice on your part to try and not steal away clients from other lawncare companies in the area. A 21" self propelled mower from Home Depot would work great for this year. Get a straight shaft trimmer and definatly get a gas powered blower. Don't bag anything if you can help it. Just mow and go!:) Good luck

PS: the insurance you will need is called: Bipedal Communal Liability Insurance. Should only cost around $2.00 a year.:D

Randy Scott
01-14-2002, 01:58 PM
Spend as little as possible. Probably buy new homeowner stuff, they probably have a 2 year warranty for homeowner use, check that out. Sounds like you just want to make quick cash. Realisticly, all people like you do is screw up the market, but what I say won't stop you. So spend as little as possible and just take care of the equipment. Get a mower, blower, and trimmer. Insurance is your call, of course it's necessary but doesn't mean you'll get it. That's why kids your age only get minimum wage. The owners of the business pay insurance and taxes and workmans comp. If they didn't pay those they could give you more than minimum wage, that's the difference in doing it right or not.

summitgroundskeeping
01-15-2002, 06:21 PM
$600 and buy an Ariens 21" mower.
You'll make more net. but if you live in TX, I would pay taxxes and lin. so probably being a waiter or work at the Depot would be better.

My brother worked at the Depot and went to school majoing in civil engineering, but now his but belong to me and SGK.

LAWNGODFATHER
01-15-2002, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by aggie20
I am 21, I was saying that the operation I'd like to get going would be similar to that of a 14 year old (except i can drive) due to my limited funds and time. For my situation as a college student, mowing a few lawns two days a week will produce far better income than fitting an hourly job in-between classes in a college town notorious for min wage. I'd rather not finance anyting and add to my $25,000 student loan debt. I'm just looking to start up at very low risk with low profit as compared to what most in the industry would expect. I'd still make out better than working 16 hour weekends for $5.50 hour. I'll go check out Home Depot, thanks for serious info Scragman. As far as license and insurance, who might I contact for that info? What type of insurance would it be? Do I need a special license to pull the mower behind my bicycle Lawngodfather?

Yes you need a trailer license. LOL:D

Sorry but from what I read it sounded like you were 14.

A+Elawnservice
01-15-2002, 08:14 PM
i would get all the equipment that scagman said with a wagon for a gas weed wacker and edger and then get you friend to pust the lawnmower and do it with a friend or brother but tell him he gets only 40% or 30% becuse you bought equipment and don't go haves on equipment becuse no mater what you may not be friends and you will be arguing who gets what and do not charge alot charge cheep (not to cheep but renember you are 14 year olds and no mater what people will not pay you good intil you do there lawn a couple times then they usuale give you a tip they think you will not do a good job and won't be dependiable another tip insted of saying hello would you like me to cut you lawn for $10 say hello would you like me to cut you lawn for $9 becuse it sounds better(cheeper) and usely they will gust give you a ten in sted of a five and 4 ones then after they pay you say whould you like me to come back next week or in 2 weeks )and i would not wory about insurence or a licence i never did when i was 14 they don't bother you you are just makeing a copple bucks when you buy you equipment never say it is for a busness use it will not be warened as long say it is for home use if you do good and charge reasonable you will get clients fast trust me

trimmer
01-16-2002, 12:09 AM
I agree with scagman,

Go to wal-mart and buy a high wheel push mower 200 dollars, a straight shaft weed eater don't get a curved shaft 100 dollars, a hand held blower make sure you get one with a throttle not the high low switch (don't see much need for back pack on 10-15 lawns) 100 dollars, and a dedicated edger 100 dollars.

Here is a list (you can get it all a wal-mart one stop shopping)

High wheel push mower 200
Straight shaft trimmer 100
Edger 100
Blower 100
Leaf rake 5
Trash bags 5
Gas cans 10
Oil 10
Gas 5

Optional
Hedge trimmer 100 (for even more cash)

This may sound cheap but with proper maintenace it will last for a few seasons or at least long enough for you to get some accounts and get going.
Good luck to you!!!!!

scagman
01-17-2002, 12:05 AM
Dont underbid your lawns just because you use this stuff. Alot of people dont pay attention to what kinda mower your using. The only people that really do pay attention to what your using is you and your competitors (us) The most talked about subject on this thread is equipment, not saying that its bad cause thats what alot of my threads are about. All you really need is a truck and a mower to jump in, but there is a huge difference between me and you. Im a proffesional and your a guy with a mower and a hand held blower. Not dogging you but this is what feeds my family, so I have to take this industy very seriously and plan on being in this industry unlike you until I retire. Actually I will probably still have crews then. With you your trying to support yourself while in college. I guess now youll understand now why Randy Scott was a bit frustrated with you.

bobbygedd
01-17-2002, 12:14 PM
hate to say this, but it goes like this. if u want to risk working without insurance, then the risk is yoursto take. really doubt yur gonna hurt someone with a 20 in mower and the brutal force of that $100 blower. just be careful, thats all. now, if u do hurt someone.....if u got nothing, u got nothing to lose! what can they take? your $600 worth of equipment? oh well. if i only had $600, i would buy a brand new pushmower for home depot, a cheap brand new wacker, and cheap hand held blower. as far as an edger, i would edge with the wacker, looks cheesy but something tells me the clientel u will start with are not gonna be that picky. it really sucks trying to start up with no dough to do it. be ready to bust yur butt