PDA

View Full Version : Locating phone and cable

DanaMac
07-14-2008, 08:17 PM
Can we locate phone and cable lines with our 521 and not damage anything? I forgot to call early enough last week for locates and all is done except for phone and cable. It should be done by tomorrow afternoon, but I need to start tomorrow. Any suggestions?

Mike Leary
07-14-2008, 08:21 PM
I think it's called "screwed, blued & tattooed".

DanaMac
07-14-2008, 08:25 PM
I think it's called "screwed, blued & tattooed".

Hey I've read of other guys doing it here. So.... thank you very little :)

Mike Leary
07-14-2008, 08:37 PM
Go ahead & trench, you'll find them without the 521, they're about 2" below grade. Can't you get a emergency locate?

greenmonster304
07-14-2008, 08:41 PM
i have done it with the 521 but i unhooked from the house so not to damage there cable box. It worked fine.

greenmonster304
07-14-2008, 08:57 PM
same goes for phone there are usualy extra conducters in the interface so you dont have to worry about screwing anything up

GreatOutdoorsContracting
07-14-2008, 08:57 PM
The greenlee 501 Tracker II has a loop you can wrap around phone cable etc to locate utilities with ever having to touch the actual utility you could try your supply house they may rent them or something. Have been told you can even use it to locate valves.

http://www.toolup.com/greenlee/501.html

BSME
07-14-2008, 09:02 PM
dana... I track phone and cable all the time with my 521. Nobody has ever come out and told me I messed something up.

I don't know if they can be using the phone/cable at the time of locate but I know you can track it without destroying it.

just hook up to the box at the side of the house and go.

DanaMac
07-14-2008, 09:02 PM
The greenlee 501 Tracker II has a loop you can wrap around phone cable etc to locate utilities with ever having to touch the actual utility you could try your supply house they may rent them or something. Have been told you can even use it to locate valves.

Great info - thanks!

DanaMac
07-14-2008, 09:03 PM
dana... I track phone and cable all the time with my 521. Nobody has ever come out and told me I messed something up.

I don't know if they can be using the phone/cable at the time of locate but I know you can track it without destroying it.

just hook up to the box at the side of the house and go.

Sweet!! Once again, thanks for the info.

FIMCO-MEISTER
07-14-2008, 09:05 PM
Ditto on BSME and Green Monster

Intriguing on Great Outdoors Contracting. Need to check that out.

FIMCO-MEISTER
07-14-2008, 09:07 PM

Shoot I just realized I have one of those. Sitting in my garage collecting dust cuz I thought my 521 ran circles around it. Now I may have a use for it besides an EBay auction.

Mike Leary
07-14-2008, 09:32 PM
Mite have to order one of each.

Wet_Boots
07-14-2008, 10:39 PM
Does Colorado go with the 'tri-party' utility runs? Phone and electric and cable in one trench, and a deep one at that? Beyond gas and some cable, I don't have much to worry about.

Waterit
07-14-2008, 10:41 PM

That's what our local cable provider uses.

And yes, Dana, you CAN use a 521 to find cable, phone, and any other utility that has a tracing path - we've used it for gas. Seems only Leary has trouble finding stuff with one.

Mike Leary
07-14-2008, 10:50 PM
Seems only Leary has trouble finding stuff with one.

That's right,kick the old guy.

DanaMac
07-15-2008, 12:23 AM
Does Colorado go with the 'tri-party' utility runs? Phone and electric and cable in one trench, and a deep one at that? Beyond gas and some cable, I don't have much to worry about.

No. Typically all are separate, and cable can be very shallow at times.

Mike Leary
07-15-2008, 12:30 AM
No. Typically all are separate, and cable can be very shallow at times.

Cable & phone are our worst nightmare for older sites. New construction code:
all in conduit with proper separation.

DanaMac
07-15-2008, 12:31 AM
Cable & phone are our worst nightmare for older sites. New construction code:
all in conduit with proper separation.

A lot of newer homes are having the orange poly pulled to the service side of the garage or home, and at least one of the cables is run through. Not sure which, could be both.

frumdig
07-15-2008, 07:44 PM
one thing you will run into, is if someone is using the phone while you locate...they will hear the tone thru the phones ear piece... im not sure if it will track down thru the main feed and over to other houses tho.. .

-Evan

DanaMac
07-15-2008, 07:46 PM
Worked fine guys. Thanks. Locate guy came out a couple hours later and got it as well. We actually held off on that part of the lawn until later just in case.

Mike Leary
07-15-2008, 07:50 PM
Worked fine guys. Thanks. Locate guy came out a couple hours later and got it as well. We actually held off on that part of the lawn until later just in case.

Cool Dana, I bet you still hit something!

Waterit
07-16-2008, 01:40 AM
We call my trencher "the utility locator".

DanaMac
07-16-2008, 02:08 AM
Cool Dana, I bet you still hit something!

You'll never know.... :)

AmEdge
07-16-2008, 08:26 AM
In my area, the cable company lies the cable on the ground and lets the grass grow over it.

Phone is not much better.

We have tracked electrical lines with the locator before, just following the interference.

Had a few times this year where we went ahead and started the job when we were told we could, and had the locate guy show up as we were filling in trenches.

Sometimes it's just best to go ahead and call in the repair before you even start. :laugh: