PDA

View Full Version : Bulk garland

Midstate Lawncare
07-14-2008, 09:32 PM
Where are some places to get lit as well as un-lit garland?

David Gretzmier
07-22-2008, 07:18 PM
You really can't go wrong with the noble mix garland from Holiday Bright Lights. we use dozens of cases of that stuff per year. It is not available unlit. i have Taken the lights off for a special customer, but it was a pain. Give Mike a call if you are interested.

hotrod1965
07-22-2008, 07:29 PM
To be honest, I wasn't impressed with HBL for what it costs. I know they are doing a lot of things to be better at what they do.... but $250 bucks for a tree that costs $200 in stores for the same quality... Plus 16-18% for shipping.
I think they do the lite links very well, but everything else seems average.

If you buy nicer stuff, you will go back for service calls less often...

David Gretzmier
08-09-2008, 10:38 PM
sorry to disagree hotrod, but there is nothing average about the noble foliage from HBL. I've looked at in person probably over 100 different manufacturors of garland at the Dallas markets, and none of them hold a candle to HBL. It is the best, and pricewise, very competitive. They are also the only manufacturer that has used actual live trees to make their injection molds for their artificial trees. they use PTE instead of PVC, so the color stays truer longer, and does not feel like paper, but actual real foliage. The incand. light sets have a 5000 hour rating, and that beats everybody's specs that I have seen except for some LED sets. The always lit sets on the trees have a chip in each socket to adjust voltage on the entire set so if even 10 bulbs get broken, burned out, pulled out, whatever, while everyone elses "constant on" sets do in fact stay on, they burn out like crazy since they do not turn the voltage down as bulbs get broken/pulled out.

I could go on, but I ask folks to actually see the product for themselves and use it and make your own decision. I have used Brite Ideas, S.Claus commercial, Action Lighting, Bethlehem/GKI, and various others. I have no doubt which company gives me a product line with the best look and the least number of service calls.

hotrod1965
08-10-2008, 10:20 AM
don't get me wrong, it is a nice product, I'm just saying you can get something just as good for the same or less money. You just have to know where to look.
As far as the only company that uses actual trees for thier molds... that's not true. Shop for high end trees and you will see that all over. I would believe that the same company makes all of these trees including the HBL trees.

If I had to guess, HBL gets all thier things made for them in China, like most other companies.

David Gretzmier
08-11-2008, 04:20 PM
HBL does have a factory in china, and subs out some of their powder coating there as well. but they have actual supervisors, employees, and they rent the factory where they hand make all their items. That is why you see their items in the frontgate and hammacher catalogs. Frontgate and Hammacher sell the HBL trees, garland and wreaths, mini-lights, light-links, etc.There may be other high end folks that use real tree molds, but I have not found them, and apparently the very high end catalog companies agree.

If you've ever been to the Dallas market area, there is roughly 100-150 Christmas manufacturors and distributors that have permanant booths there. add to that the samples I've gotton from a few dozen internet companies, and in my 20 plus years of doing this, there is just no comparison at any price.

maybe I've overlooked someone, and I'm looking in the wrong place. Since I've named names, companies and locations, prices, and hotrod, you have been fairly vague, I'd like you to come clean factually of where I need to look to find this garland at a similar price. if you don't wish to disclose it publically, than I'm going to have to assume you're just here to post and argue points without disclosing facts. I'd rather this forum be used to point people in the right direction. so point away.

hotrod1965
08-11-2008, 06:31 PM
I didn't mean to upset you. I'm just stating my opinion. I absolutle believe that HBL makes all these trees for everyone.(like I said, someone makes them all) I also have said that it is a perfectly good product.
The thing I don't like about them is that they are made from a mold. Therefore the backside of the needles are flat. It's not very 3D, and I think it looks funny. It doesn't look bad, it just looks funny to me.

The absolute best trees, garland..ect are Balsam Hill. But, that would be expensive. I have seen these trees at dealers, and they blow away the HBL stuff, but it cost more.

For the money, the Christmas in America stuff is pretty good, and it's made in the USA.

Creative Displays also has a pretty good product. I'm not sure who actually makes his stuff though. I just know he imports it from China. I also know he ships really fast.

Reinders carries a descent line.

Bronners carries a lot of different stuff, some of it is junk and some of it is really nice. But most of you don't have the convienence of being close to them. It's nice because they carry a ton of different brands and you can check them out at the same time.

There's a retail store that we decorate that has really nice stuff as well, but I'm not sure who makes it, so I'll have to find out. I never really paid that much attention until we took lights down for them last year, and I never really thought about it unlit now.

But again, the HBL is a fine product. HBL lets you buy from them without being a member, they train for free..etc I have no issue with them. I actually think they are going to be the best program to have for lawncare companies now that Mike has taken over. It's a one stop shop.

You guys have to remeber a lot of the design and product opinions are going to be subjective.

David Gretzmier
08-11-2008, 07:10 PM
Hotrod- thanks for a good post. i'll definetely check out some of those other folks. not upset here. Just want info to go with opinions. I agree that decorative items can be subjective, but I tell you, I get great response from the top 1% crowd on the HBL foliage.