PDA

View Full Version : Best am/fm radio hearing protection?

JaysLawns
07-14-2008, 10:25 PM
Hey guys I am in the market for a new set of am/fm radio hearing protection ear muffs and was wondering from experiences which ones have you had the best luck with? I hear elvex is good, is that true? Thanks

JJ

bohiaa
07-14-2008, 11:00 PM
Out where I am we dont get reception very well, I use an MP3 Player and regular walmart muffs......

My MP3 player doubles as a great way to turn the wife off while on long car trips,

I also srink wrap the MP3 Player because of dust and debris

LawnScapers of Dayton
07-15-2008, 12:56 AM
I use Shure in ears, with a SONY radio......light weight and not so hot......

Puddle of Oil
07-15-2008, 01:03 AM
i use the AOSafety headset. had em 4 about 4-5 years. had some minor issues with them but they still do a pretty good job.

McGaw
07-16-2008, 08:16 PM
I've never used any, but just wondered, wouldn't they be worse? Wouldn't you need to have the music turned way up in them to be able to hear it? How well do they drown out the noise? Thanks

billslawn89
07-16-2008, 08:20 PM
I've never used any, but just wondered, wouldn't they be worse? Wouldn't you need to have the music turned way up in them to be able to hear it? How well do they drown out the noise? Thanks

i was thinking the same thing! i need to hear what is going on around me! only time i use hearing protection is when sharpening blades with the grinder... huh? say something? LOL:laugh:

McGaw
07-16-2008, 08:22 PM
Great minds think alike... haha

razor1
07-16-2008, 08:37 PM

The muffs block out the noise so you can hear the radio at a safe (low) volume. MP3 players are nice but for just FM radio, the Sony Walkman has the best reception. Once you try it, you'll never go without again.

bryant lawn & landscape
07-17-2008, 10:07 AM
Here's the ones that we use: http://www.envirosafetyproducts.com/product/digital-radio-earmuff.html

They're awesome. They've got digital AM/FM tuning, and presets for your favorite stations. Also, an input for your MP3/2 way radio/phone...whatever. Before, I was using my Sure headphones under my Stihl muffs, but this setup is a LOT better. The muffs block out a large amount of outside noise, so your music doesn't have to be cranked up loud to hear it. In fact, the muffs have a built in regulator to keep the music at a safe level. Now I know what some of you are thinking....How would I take this regulator out so I can blast my death metal while running my weed eater? You DON"T NEED TO :dizzy: !! It's plenty loud. Highly recommended.

KrayzKajun
07-17-2008, 10:11 AM
i use work tunes! love them. keep a pair on every trailer.

ALC-GregH
07-17-2008, 12:07 PM
I wish I had shopped around some. I bought the Stihl set with radio and paid WAY to much for them. I could have gotten the Work Tunes much cheaper and not have to stop to find a good station.

FOR SALE: Stihl am/fm radio ear protection. Used very little..... :)

LawnScapers of Dayton
07-17-2008, 01:43 PM
the Shure in ears block out 90+ % of outside noise....

hackitdown
07-17-2008, 09:06 PM
I have a pair of Worktunes, I got them at Home Depot for about $50. They block the noise, and you hear the radio quite well. FM is good, but AM not so good. I can hear everything I need to hear as far as equipment goes.

grass-hopper
07-18-2008, 02:26 AM
Anyone try the noise cancellation ear muff style headphones? I know they are super pricey but they seem like a good choice.

tgaskill
07-18-2008, 11:01 AM
I use peltors, they are just like the worktunes but also have a jack for the mp3 player. I used to use regular "non radio" peltors with earbuds under them but that was a pain and also would start to hurt my ears where the wires went under.

STIHL GUY
07-18-2008, 09:53 PM
i use the AOsafety and the work fine

amscapes03
07-18-2008, 10:45 PM
Check these out. http://www.usa.husqvarna.com/node3254.aspx?nid=53396&pid=5158

snowjeep
07-19-2008, 01:17 AM
I use the sameone bryant lawns uses. The digital is nice, ears sweat a little when hot.

bryant lawn & landscape
07-19-2008, 09:50 AM
amscapes03 - Husqvarna has the right idea with the bluetooth phone and microphone boom. The jack for the mp3 player is the only thing missing. I think if they added the jack, it could also open up communication between employees wanting to connecting 2 way radios-- GREAT on larger commercial sites. Or for that matter, any site where hand signals just don't convey the whole message. So- if any ear protection manufacturers happen to be on the site: High noise reduction: MP3 jack: Digital AM/FM radio: Bluetooth phone connection with microphone boom. and possibly a beer holder or fan?? :laugh:

McGaw
07-19-2008, 12:17 PM
Now we're talking!:drinkup:

ferris_1972
07-19-2008, 01:03 PM
I use the worktunes http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CatDsp?storeId=6970&N=95+1462 They are about 70 bucks and worth every penny. Digital with presets and an mp3 jack as well. The only drawback is that they do get a bit hot on those warm days.

JaysLawns
07-19-2008, 07:21 PM
Looks like the Peltor Worktunes are the popular choice, but how is the signal reception for local stations? Thanks

JJ

Whitey4
07-20-2008, 12:34 AM
The problem I have with all of the headphone units is I can't wear a hat with them. I wear wide brimmed hats for sun protection, so over-the -head ear phones wont work. Plus, the sweat factor.... I needed ear plugs. I found a unit that attaches to my arm with a velcro strap. I shove the wire down my shirt, and it stays out of my way. It isn't a safety dB reducing unit, so I use regular ear plugs when I mow, but use these when I use other less noisy equipment, as threy probably only have something like 17 dB noise reduction.

bryant lawn & landscape
07-20-2008, 09:24 AM
Whitey- Gotcha covered. http://www.columbia.com/Product/6/Accessories/610/Mens/8153/Omni-Dry-Tamiami-Cachalot.aspx?viewAll=False These are the hats we wear under our earmuffs. The sunscreen fabric covers the back of your neck, and keeps your head cool. Also, the women think they're sexy. :cool2::laugh:

bryant lawn & landscape
07-20-2008, 09:34 AM
Jayslawns- For the most part, I'd say the local reception is great. The digital tuning affords you more accuracy in tuning in the stations. However, I have experienced some overlap or "bleeding" of stations on occasion, but nothing major. Most of the time, I'm listening to my Ipod anyway. Another tip if you decide to get the set and use it for your Ipod is to get a case with a belt clip. Then run the patch cord from the headset down your shirt into the Ipod/MP3 to keep the cord from getting tangled. I think some companies also make something so that you can plug into the Ipod so that it can be used without the wire all together. HMMM.

Mike Blevins
07-20-2008, 10:39 AM
Also yellow worktunes. This is my second pair. They will not hold up if you run over them.:laugh:

ALC-GregH
07-27-2008, 06:32 PM
I picked up a set of Worktunes. I really like the pre-set ability. Just push one button to scan all the pre-sets. :) I thought they stopped noise better then the Stihl pair I bought.

For Sale: Like new Stihl AM/FM radio/hearing protection. Make offers.....

vaughnslawns
07-27-2008, 09:55 PM
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103049&cp=&sr=1&origkw=am%2Ffm+headphones&kw=am%2Ffm+headphones&parentPage=search

bryant lawn & landscape
07-28-2008, 12:18 AM
vaughnslawns- I looked up the link for the Radio Shack ones. Obviously, they would block out some noise, but I'm not sure that they were designed as hearing protection.

brucec32
08-27-2008, 06:19 PM
Feedback on the Peltor/AOS Work Tunes. I tried a pair of the digital am/fm ones.

Look well made, but FM reception had some static on some stations and AM was almost non-existent in the suburbs here. Even the 50,000 watt superstation barely came in and even that faded completely out at times. This is maybe 25 miles away. A cheap sony am/fm walkman with speakers snapped off the headset and stuck into the regular Peltor muffs gets much better reception, likely due to the long antenna formed by the ear cords. These cords will be a PITA at times, but for routine mowing they're not a problem. I just put the radio itself in my shirt pocket. The regular Peltor muffs also attenuate noise much much better though I forget the exact rating.

I was hoping for a more compact solution with no cords to snag, but they didn't do it for me.

taterlawn
07-28-2009, 03:44 PM
is there anything out there in an ear bud style like the Shure in ears thats cheaper?? I like to wear a hat and I am afraid that the work tunes will get in the way

taterlawn
07-28-2009, 04:57 PM
never mind I found some on amazon

tinman
07-29-2009, 09:07 PM
Hey guys I am in the market for a new set of am/fm radio hearing protection ear muffs and was wondering from experiences which ones have you had the best luck with? I hear elvex is good, is that true? Thanks

JJ

earmuffs and mp3 player with skull candy earphones ($10 at TJ max or $17 on ebay) . plastic baggie for player to protect

taterlawn
07-30-2009, 06:29 PM
I found some for $40.00 on amazon that have the three tier hearing protection and they are ear buds, and I have a iSkin for my i-pod

Josh32RVP
04-25-2010, 06:41 PM
I just bought the Work Tunes today from Peltor. Lowes has them for $49 in the St Louis area. They work really well!!!

CGlisson
03-22-2011, 03:11 AM
i was thinking the same thing! i need to hear what is going on around me! only time i use hearing protection is when sharpening blades with the grinder... huh? say something? LOL:laugh:

Have fun being deaf in a few years. No hearing protection??? You've got to be kidding. :hammerhead: