PDA

View Full Version : John Deere Landscape

FIMCO-MEISTER
07-15-2008, 07:12 AM
JDL for whatever reason has a pay by the 15th deduct 2% cutoff date. Everybody else that I've dealt is the 10th. Not sure what their motivation is but it has to be money related. My QBCKS doesn't even list the pay by 15th option.

JDL is very convenient for us but they are killing us on prices. I have a great relationship with the manager but they have some kind of points deal and the rep hasn't done a good job explaining it to me. Will somebody explain to me how I can make JDL points work for me? They said something about purchasing over 25,000 to get the better pricing. It's a chicken and egg deal. I will shop after I get the better pricing. I will not shop to get the better pricing. Pricing isn't everything, service is important but their pricing isn't even close on some high volume items.

Also they run this weird inventory system. If something doesn't move they won't stock it. So going there is a risk on oddball stuff. My purchasing with JDL has steadily declined but gas and travel time costs make me want to try and figure them out again.

AI Inc
07-15-2008, 07:18 AM
Funny thing about them.In may I bought about $700 in seed and starter fert to do some overseeding. They then sent me a bill for $104.23 . I thought it was weird and just kinda blew it off. Yesterday when I opened my mail there was a check from lesco ( jdl) for $104.23

FIMCO-MEISTER
07-15-2008, 07:24 AM
Funny thing about them.In may I bought about $700 in seed and starter fert to do some overseeding. They then sent me a bill for $104.23 . I thought it was weird and just kinda blew it off. Yesterday when I opened my mail there was a check from lesco ( jdl) for $104.23

Did you pay the original 700 or was that a billing screw up?

DanaMac
07-15-2008, 07:29 AM
Our JDL is about 1-2 blocks away from Ewing. I haven't bought anything at JDL in over two years. Probably over three. High prices, manager at that time was a pain in the rear.

AI Inc
07-15-2008, 07:31 AM
Did you pay the original 700 or was that a billing screw up?

I never recived a bill for the original $700

EagleLandscape
07-15-2008, 07:35 AM
Ca ching,

Ya, they are pretty steep. Kenny, Rudy, and Adam are great, but prices are pretty steep. They are more convenient to go to versus Capital, but Capital is more fun to go to, and it's a little less expensive. Plus, I can drop off lawn equipment and get landscape parts at the same location on Capital.

Flow Control
07-15-2008, 07:53 AM
My biggest gripe with JDL is they never have everything in stock and when you place an order for delivery they never tell me that it is not all there until I go through everything and figure it out on my own and say you are on a pw or union job that is $35hr for labor and you have 3 workers waisting 3-6hrs cause JDL forgot to mention they had the wire but not the 2" pvc main. I just started saying, "here is my order if you can't fill 100% of it don't deliver it, call me and I will have to go elsewhere" There are a couple of suppliers in the area and even though I perceive JDL to be the largest, like someone said they only stock the more "common parts" while at the same time I can go to a smaller supplier and they have 100% of the parts a 100% of the time. And if you have a handle on your inventory and usually keep 2wks of parts at any time I would recommend going to a mail order company unless you can get a couple of boxes of heads and valves dropped off at no charge it is something to consider. Any peeps that break down their overhead for waste will realize this example: I have 3 techs of which say they go to a supply house to pick up parts at least 3-4 times a month with a 30 min drive each way (plus say 30 min at the supplier) with a estimated cost of $35hr with overhead. That is $472.50 a month and say out of the 13.5hr you could of had say 7hr of billable work so that $472.50 turns into what? $1k? a month. That is why I can't stand it when a tech goes to a supplier on Tuesday and then on Friday they are out of funny pipe?? WTF???

FIMCO-MEISTER
07-15-2008, 07:59 AM
My biggest gripe with JDL is they never have everything in stock and when you place an order for delivery they never tell me that it is not all there until I go through everything and figure it out on my own and say you are on a pw or union job that is $35hr for labor and you have 3 workers waisting 3-6hrs cause JDL forgot to mention they had the wire but not the 2" pvc main. I just started saying, "here is my order if you can't fill 100% of it don't deliver it, call me and I will have to go elsewhere" There are a couple of suppliers in the area and even though I perceive JDL to be the largest, like someone said they only stock the more "common parts" while at the same time I can go to a smaller supplier and they have 100% of the parts a 100% of the time. And if you have a handle on your inventory and usually keep 2wks of parts at any time I would recommend going to a mail order company unless you can get a couple of boxes of heads and valves dropped off at no charge it is something to consider. Any peeps that break down their overhead for waste will realize this example: I have 3 techs of which say they go to a supply house to pick up parts at least 3-4 times a month with a 30 min drive each way (plus say 30 min at the supplier) with a estimated cost of $35hr with overhead. That is $472.50 a month and say out of the 13.5hr you could of had say 7hr of billable work so that $472.50 turns into what? $1k? a month. That is why I can't stand it when a tech goes to a supplier on Tuesday and then on Friday they are out of funny pipe?? WTF???

I hit a frustration there. JDL has really screwed up a sweet supply house deal for me. They bought a company called Pipe N Heads here who prided themselves on PIG (product in stock guarantee). Now dealing with them is frustrating to no end.

FIMCO-MEISTER
07-15-2008, 08:03 AM
I never recived a bill for the original $700

When you get a screw up like that don't you feel obligated to go tell them? I know it's one of those blahhhh moments but still you got to make it right. When I forget to load something on my truck I will call and they just take it off the invoice. I think most of my suppliers would trust me to do the reverse for them.

Waterit
07-15-2008, 08:36 AM
Used to buy from JDL, now all Ewing, all the time.

Always have everything I need, or at least tell me what they are low/out of. Haven't been to their store in about 6 months, they deliver everything either to shop or directly to job.

Kiril
07-15-2008, 08:58 AM
I get most of my stuff delivered from Ewing, and 90% of the time there are back ordered items on the order.

poiuy qwerty
07-15-2008, 09:08 AM
We use a steady mix of Ewing, JDL & Longhorn. JDL for the quick pick up items. Ewing and Longhorn $$ are much better for larger orders

poiuy qwerty
07-15-2008, 09:10 AM
I hit a frustration there. JDL has really screwed up a sweet supply house deal for me. They bought a company called Pipe N Heads here who prided themselves on PIG (product in stock guarantee). Now dealing with them is frustrating to no end.

I agree 100% we have the same problem. Scott & Bobby try to help but it always seems to fall short.

EagleLandscape
07-15-2008, 10:08 AM
I agree 100% we have the same problem. Scott & Bobby try to help but it always seems to fall short.

JDL Out of what location? Or are you refering to LH?

bcg
07-15-2008, 10:42 AM
I prefer Longhorn. They've always had everything I've needed and, at least at my location, the counter guys actually know what they're talking about.

poiuy qwerty
07-15-2008, 11:04 AM
JDL Out of what location? Or are you refering to LH?

Lewisville

irrigation man
07-15-2008, 03:47 PM
they only stock what central purchasing says they need if inventory on pgp's is 1000 they wont have 1001,as soon as you have surplus they transfer them out that day we have customers allthe time that cant get what they need their good example you have a new customer start buying and someone else comes up short when they come in if they are a regular until purchasing changes there stock levels i know i managed a store for a few years and it was h-ll tring to get product for the shelfs ,they are their own worst enemy,when it comes to points it used to be 1 point was worth 14cents,and vales rotor sprays and controllers were worth different amounts,you got to buy alot to think you are going to get much points for dollars

jimmyburg
07-15-2008, 03:59 PM
i have always used Ewing, but i have bought from JD one time and there prices were high

EagleLandscape
07-15-2008, 04:04 PM
they only stock what central purchasing says they need if inventory on pgp's is 1000 they wont have 1001,as soon as you have surplus they transfer them out that day we have customers allthe time that cant get what they need their good example you have a new customer start buying and someone else comes up short when they come in if they are a regular until purchasing changes there stock levels i know i managed a store for a few years and it was h-ll tring to get product for the shelfs ,they are their own worst enemy,when it comes to points it used to be 1 point was worth 14cents,and vales rotor sprays and controllers were worth different amounts,you got to buy alot to think you are going to get much points for dollars

:dizzy::dizzy::dizzy::dizzy::dizzy::dizzy::dizzy::dizzy::dizzy::dizzy::dizzy::dizzy:*trucewhiteflag*

AmEdge
07-15-2008, 06:22 PM
If you agree to buy $25k in one year, JDL will put you on their 'Partner's Program' . You do get "points" which is no big deal for me really. The main thing is w=once you're on the program, your pricing structure changes with the more you buy = better pricing.

If your branch is constantly out of something, the branch manager can call purchasing and have the levels adjusted immediately.

Also, more than likely they can transfer it in from another branch within 24-48 hrs depending on where the branch is located that they're transferring from.

I used to work for JDL, and buy all my material from there.

FIMCO-MEISTER
07-15-2008, 08:47 PM
Long day. We are so swamped but here is a JDL experience. Now LHN and EWG didn't have it in stock so shame on them but I needed RB RC7 timing motors

EWG 36.00
LNGN 39.00
JDL 55.00
Went ahead and got one from JDL. Screwed up the order though on other stuff.

Mike Leary
07-15-2008, 09:46 PM
I needed RB RC7 timing motors

Oh, like, all our suppliers carry RB RC parts. Change-out the clock! :hammerhead:

DanaMac
07-15-2008, 10:16 PM
Oh, like, all our suppliers carry RB RC parts. Change-out the clock! :hammerhead:

Exactly. I thought Fimco was famous for upselling a controller.

I WILL NOT change out the motor. Replacement only of entire controller.

Mike Leary
07-15-2008, 10:41 PM
Exactly. I thought Fimco was famous for upselling a controller..

Something wrong here, " Della, call Paul Drake, take the jet to Dallas with a
load of 6" pits to cover the fuel cost."

DanaMac
07-15-2008, 11:18 PM
Something wrong here, " Della, call Paul Drake, take the jet to Dallas with a
load of 6" pits to cover the fuel cost."

'60s flashback? What the heck you talkin' about?

Mike Leary
07-15-2008, 11:23 PM
'60s flashback? What the heck you talkin' about?

Poor Dana, never saw "Perry Mason" ? :cry:

DanaMac
07-15-2008, 11:31 PM
Poor Dana, never saw "Perry Mason" ? :cry:

Alas, no. never did.

BSME
07-15-2008, 11:33 PM
How much does a motor cost? Every truck has a timer on it ready to go. Is it really worth it to the customer for you to go play around looking for a motor and paying you to rebuild? NM... i'm going back to lurking and chatting with Rotard privately... hook us up with some more vids...

FIMCO-MEISTER
07-16-2008, 05:19 AM
Exactly. I thought Fimco was famous for upselling a controller.

I WILL NOT change out the motor. Replacement only of entire controller.

It's an elderly person who likes to run his own system and doesn't want a digital timer. Replacing an RC timing motor is child's play. Frankly I find it therapeutic. When I'm changing a timing motor out I have this eerie twilight zone feeling and my entire irrigation history runs through my brain like a freight train.

Anyway I have a soft spot for those old RB mechanicals and they take power surges and lightning strikes very well.

FIMCO-MEISTER
07-16-2008, 05:23 AM
How much does a motor cost? Every truck has a timer on it ready to go. Is it really worth it to the customer for you to go play around looking for a motor and paying you to rebuild? NM... i'm going back to lurking and chatting with Rotard privately... hook us up with some more vids...

We stock the RB timing motors on our trucks. It is a normal inventory item for us. We are just out and I wanted to get a few when I purchased some other stuff like 2" WM Dia, SF205s, MPs, 1804sams, etc.........

AmEdge
07-16-2008, 07:05 AM
Gotta say, you can't blame the others for not stocking it......or JDL for being higher.

They don't want you to buy it!

:dancing:

Wet_Boots
07-16-2008, 07:12 AM
RC motors are easy to change. Pretty much all those clock motors are easy to swap.

FIMCO-MEISTER
07-16-2008, 07:29 AM
RC motors are easy to change. Pretty much all those clock motors are easy to swap.

Ditto but the point to this thread is how to make JDL work as a supplier for me without getting price gouged relative to their competitors. I'm not a haggler but want some consistency and don't want to play the "if you buy 25,000 from us we will make you a "PARDNER:rolleyes:" game"

AI Inc
07-16-2008, 07:31 AM
Show em your numbers from last yr. When they see what ya spend they will come around.

AmEdge
07-16-2008, 07:39 AM
Ditto but the point to this thread is how to make JDL work as a supplier for me without getting price gouged relative to their competitors. I'm not a haggler but want some consistency and don't want to play the "if you buy 25,000 from us we will make you a "PARDNER:rolleyes:" game"

It's not a game.

It's a benchmark for them to see if you are worth their time & pricing policies.

Take comfort in knowing that the guy who only spends $10k per year, and is lowballing your jobs is paying higher prices. :)

You don't have to show them anything, just fill out the application. Unless you're a major player in your area, the outside sales rep ain't gonna chase you down and beg you to do it.

Wet_Boots
07-16-2008, 07:54 AM
I think each JDL branch has some independent functionality, so they might be different in Texas than in Iowa or Jersey. For my dime, the real benefit of a nationwide operation is that they can move inventory from one branch to another. Some never-stocked Mid-Atlantic obscurity might be always-in-stock in California.

Kiril
07-16-2008, 08:07 AM
That's because all things irrigation beings and ends in CA.

Wet_Boots
07-16-2008, 08:19 AM
'cept for indexing valves

poiuy qwerty
07-16-2008, 08:34 AM
"Take comfort in knowing that the guy who only spends $10k per year, and is lowballing your jobs is paying higher prices."

no comfort. They can go to ewing or longhorn and pay off the street the prices that i have to spend 25k/year to get at john deere

AmEdge
07-16-2008, 09:00 AM
"Take comfort in knowing that the guy who only spends $10k per year, and is lowballing your jobs is paying higher prices."

no comfort. They can go to ewing or longhorn and pay off the street the prices that i have to spend 25k/year to get at john deere

The more you buy, the less you pay.

It all comes down to personal preference.

My JDL here cannot be touched, but then again they only have 2 competitors.

Plus, the branch mgr at the JDL can answer any troubleshooting question thrown his way. The 2 others, I'm lucky if I get a pulse.

Location, location, location.

Tom Tom
07-16-2008, 09:30 AM
A pretty equal split between Ewing and JDL for me. Although, I'm favoring Ewing more

JDL seems to push the Hunter line pretty heavily. They don't stock alot of repair parts. Prices seem inline with Ewing. Each has its better priced items, i.e. loss leaders?

Ewing has a much larger selection and all the oddball repair parts. Their BBQ's are better too.

AmEdge
07-16-2008, 09:43 AM
A pretty equal split between Ewing and JDL for me. Although, I'm favoring Ewing more

JDL seems to push the Hunter line pretty heavily. They don't stock alot of repair parts. Prices seem inline with Ewing. Each has its better priced items, i.e. loss leaders?

Ewing has a much larger selection and all the oddball repair parts. Their BBQ's are better too.

JDL often pushes whichever brand is offering the highest rebates for that quarter. May be Hunter now, go back in a few months and it will be Rainbird.

The branch I worked at carried several lighting brands. Vista was the only one sold. The Kitchler display was kept back in the warehouse. :laugh:

If anyone asked for Toro, we didn't stock it. But did have some in the back for one contractor who used it. We only stocked what he needed.

Waterit
07-16-2008, 04:38 PM

Yessir! Last "counter day" Ewing here hosted along with RB, the menu was OUTSTANDING - pork BBQ, sausage, onions n' peppers, all cooked fresh right there, even had real cake for dessert.

And they have what I need 99% of the time, in the quantities I need it, and get it to me in a timely fashion too.

DanaMac
07-16-2008, 04:46 PM

Very true on both parts. Too bad I missed Friday's BBQ last week. Heard it was outstanding. But... I was grillin' and drinkin' in Steamboat anyways.

Sorry to thread jack - here is a link to front page photo for the guy I crew for.

http://www.steamboatpilot.com/photos/2008/jul/12/13137/