PDA

View Full Version : Tree Roots & Their Effect on Pipes?

1simple
07-15-2008, 12:28 PM
I always wanted to know, should you ever be worried about trees and/or plants and their roots getting into the pipes of an irrigation system? If I'm not mistaken, a tree's roots can and will break into pvc pipes. Any advice on this topic?

Thanks
Curtis

HooKooDooKu
07-15-2008, 12:59 PM
I doubt roots can get "into" irrigation pipes. But I have seen pictures (perhaps on this forum) where tree roots have grown around a pipe. I specifically recall a picture of roots that had grown around copper pipe and simply crushed it.

My main consern when I was installing my irrigation system was tree roots growing between multiple pipes running in the same trench. I could then see the root swelling over time and either spreading the pipes or breaking them. That's why (if it will truly help... only time will tell) I lined the sides of my trenches with vinyl siding when ever I ran pipes anywhere near tree roots.

DanaMac
07-15-2008, 07:54 PM
Yes they can crush and pinch and break pipes. Fixed one yesterday. Root grew over a tee fitting and pushed it down and broke it.

bobw
07-15-2008, 08:10 PM
I've had to hack roots back that have collapsed poly pipe. Takes time for the roots to get there, but you can't stop the will of Mother Nature

Without A Drought
07-15-2008, 09:06 PM
Happens somewhat often with poly, usually not for 5-10 years though. Condos are notorious for them, with trees being planted in the curb boxes and such.

not the end of the world though.

pg