PDA

View Full Version : Large pond renovation

JTHutch
07-15-2008, 02:51 PM
I'm getting ready to design/price a renovation to some ponds in our city park. The only pond had limestone rip rap on the edges but it has slid into the pond or been covered with mud. These ponds are dirt bottom with no liner of any kind. We are wanting to dress up the edges and rebuild the waterfalls. Everything that was used about 20-25 years ago to build these waterfalls ets... was Limestone but now the limestone is flaking off or breaking. I'm looking for a clean neat large rock or any other structure for the edges of the pond. Any suggestions would be appriciated. I want to have a ledge that my mowers can mow right up to the edge of the pond with as little trimming as possible. I had thought about large concrete blocks 6' long by 3' high 3' deep with a 3 or 4" stone cap. I didn't know how these blocks would hold up to freeze/thaw. Has anyone done something like this?

punt66
07-15-2008, 03:41 PM
Sounds like you should poor concrete walls up to lawn level. Like a mini sea wall.

JTHutch
07-18-2008, 01:27 PM
That is an idea, I wander if we could use the stamped/formed concrete to give it a more natural look.

punt66
07-18-2008, 02:31 PM
That is an idea, I wander if we could use the stamped/formed concrete to give it a more natural look.

yes you can and i have done just that. It will hold up the best and last the longest. I did that style on a small garden pond and it was probebly my nicest pond to date as well. Its a modern look, or industrial look.

ANC Stone Creations
07-18-2008, 05:41 PM
If you are talking about ecology blocks, I would not use them, they are very ugly.

The other option would be to use large rock for the edges (4-5 man rock) this is what i would do if I was doing the project.

Or you could consider pouring a "sea-wall" under grade and adding a sand beach with some rock outcroppings.

Oh, one other way is to have a company come out and spray the edges with a liner material, very close to spray on bed liner material.

Good luck some times working with the parks dept. is a pain in the butt.
Make sure you find out what they will allow you to use.

Some towns have specific requirements, make sure you have all of them before you even try to bid the job.

Lite4
07-19-2008, 02:45 AM
[QUOTE=ANC Stone Creations;2424437]

The other option would be to use large rock for the edges (4-5 man rock) QUOTE]

Your basis for rock size cracks me up. Now when you say 4-5 man rock, what is the weight of each man, (as in the rock weighs what 4-5 men weigh). Are these men from Japan or Samoa? Are the men all the same size? :laugh:
I know what you mean. I just couldn't help myself though. sorry *trucewhiteflag*

ANC Stone Creations
07-19-2008, 07:50 PM
You must not work with large rock much.

It is not about a china man or what ever lol

The reason they call it 4-5 man rock is it would take 4-5 men to move it with a rock bar so it would weigh between 1500-2500 lbs, as we all know granite weighs 175 lbs per cubic foot and basalt weighs 165 lbs per cubic foot.

To find the weight of a rock L x W x H Example 4' x 2' x 2' = 16 cubic feet x granite 175 = 2800 lbs or basalt 16 cubic feet x 165 = 2640 lbs

This formula will help give you an idea.

XStream Aquatics
08-19-2008, 11:20 PM
Are you referring to polyurea?

XStream Aquatics
08-19-2008, 11:21 PM
Awesome product thou very very expensive!!