PDA

View Full Version : Expanding business to Florida

CCLC INC.
07-15-2008, 05:27 PM
My business is located in Maryland. I am planning to move to Florida. About 20 miles from Orlando. I want to build my business in Florida. Could a Florida business own please help with some ideas? How things are done? How many months do you really cut? How are your accounts handled?

Thanks

cpel2004
07-15-2008, 07:29 PM
Year round accounts usually 42 cut per year most newer homes are usually under 5000. Cuts in some places are as low as 50 per month.... yeap 50 buck to 60 bucks a month. Its a big difference. Oh and by the way its a requirement that most residents own a truck and trailer with lawn equipment. The best part its very easy to get accounts.

billslawn89
07-15-2008, 08:38 PM
Year round accounts usually 42 cut per year most newer homes are usually under 5000. Cuts in some places are as low as 50 per month.... yeap 50 buck to 60 bucks a month. Its a big difference. Oh and by the way its a requirement that most residents own a truck and trailer with lawn equipment. The best part its very easy to get accounts.

ya i learned that real fast, moving from ohio..totally different here, i couldn't believe the pricing either... but being here for two years now..things are going good...just bust you a$$ and do a good job is the way i look at it!:dancing:

DaveinSWFL
07-15-2008, 09:39 PM
Billslawn 89, are you able to take on a few new customers? I have a few in North Port but have been to busy to service them. PM me if interested.

DISTURBEDSMR
07-15-2008, 10:23 PM
I work in Orlando and the competition is very tough here with alot of lawn companies. Any questions email me I know you can't pm yet

Frontier-Lawn
07-16-2008, 01:53 PM
my general rule for me is winter 1-2 cuts(more if they fert alot and water) and summer 4-5 for weekly year rounds

Capital sn0maN
07-16-2008, 02:52 PM
I am in SWFL, cuts in the summer HAVE to be done every week. A lot of associations, will fine homeowners if their lawn becomes an eye sore, so getting in with a couple of these will be GOLD. I try to stick to somewhere around 36 cpy. But I am still a n00b.

Liendeni
07-17-2008, 12:52 AM
Every 3rd Floridian has a truck with a mower in the back. Its the law down here.

kmann
07-17-2008, 10:35 PM
I live 25 miles north of Orlando and this year it's tough! Foreclosures all over the place, no new construction and EVERYBODY is now doing lawncare! Last year I was turning jobs down. This year the phone doesn't ring. On top of that, the price of Gas is causing many Homeowners to go with the "Cheapest Price". Alot of 2 and 3 man Crews are now 1 man Crews. It is not going well in this area at all!!!

freshprince94
07-18-2008, 07:04 PM
Everything is going fine for me down here. The business aspect isn't terribly different, you just have to target the right neighborhoods, get used to slightly lower pricing, and monthly (not per cut) billing. The lowballer LCOs usually only work in a certain neighborhood, stay out of those areas and you'll be fine.

The actual cutting aspect of the business is very different from up north. A whole lot of houses have gates, usually a 36" or 42" gate, so you'll need a small mower. Down here, we don't run the big 72"s, and 60"s unless you're doing commercial lots. The biggest mower most crews run is a 52". Yards aren't that big, I don't have anything bigger than 3/4s of an acre and I'm still making a nice profit. Lastly, using a stick edger is almost mandatory down here. You won't be sorry.

billslawn89
07-18-2008, 08:14 PM
Everything is going fine for me down here. The business aspect isn't terribly different, you just have to target the right neighborhoods, get used to slightly lower pricing, and monthly (not per cut) billing. The lowballer LCOs usually only work in a certain neighborhood, stay out of those areas and you'll be fine.

The actual cutting aspect of the business is very different from up north. A whole lot of houses have gates, usually a 36" or 42" gate, so you'll need a small mower. Down here, we don't run the big 72"s, and 60"s unless you're doing commercial lots. The biggest mower most crews run is a 52". Yards aren't that big, I don't have anything bigger than 3/4s of an acre and I'm still making a nice profit. Lastly, using a stick edger is almost mandatory down here. You won't be sorry.

i also have to agree with ya there! a bit of getting used to from up in northern ohio, but i adjusted and i guess i'm in the groove of things! you are most right about the stick edger. my first st. augustine lawn that i picked up convinced me of that!!!!! i'm about 2 hours or so south of you and been doing this for two years here in florida, but 17 up north! i miss my blue grass lawn though! LOL

kmann
07-18-2008, 09:53 PM
Are you kidding me? This is your setup? Where are you working Pine Hills for $12.00 a cut? This must be a joke!

freshprince94
07-18-2008, 10:46 PM
Are you kidding me? This is your setup? Where are you working Pine Hills for $12.00 a cut? This must be a joke!

Um...no jokes here. I started this business intending not to spend too much money, so I used the van that I already had, with the Toro mower I already had. I planned to buy a truck or SUV this year but with gas prices, that ain't gonna happen for a while. This is a part time job for me, nothing more. And while my mower may not be a 10k ZTR, it gets the job done and will sit on my trailer until I get a 36 ztr or w/b by the end of this year.

Post your setup if it's so much nicer than mine! I'm not trying to start anything, I'm just sayin...

Fantasy Lawns
07-19-2008, 05:50 PM
If your 20 miles to the east of O town that puts ya in Cocoa Beach area .... I have a 12 year established turn key .... equip n employees ... +200 customer base ....foreman runs everything in-house

Up fore sale spring of 2009 would consider something earlier if serious

Lawn Neophyte
07-20-2008, 08:48 AM
I can't speak for Orlando, but I live within an hour of there.

There's a lot of cheap people where I live. For instance, a homeowner gave me a call after I dropped off my business card on his driveway. WHen I drove by his house, his grass was at least 4 ft tall.......that was just in the front yard. The back had weeds that looked 5 ft tall. And the grass was as tall as that. I told the owner I charged $35 per cut/ biweekly. He said, "how about once a month?"

I said, "Once a month means your grass is going grow over 4ft tall. I'll have to charge double for that. The tall grass will strain my mower and will require more work."

He then said, "Oh I can't do that!"

Needless to say I did not get the account, but good riddance. Some people here in Florida are not willing to pay. Lots of cheap people at my neck of the woods.

billslawn89
07-20-2008, 11:49 AM
I can't speak for Orlando, but I live within an hour of there.

There's a lot of cheap people where I live. For instance, a homeowner gave me a call after I dropped off my business card on his driveway. WHen I drove by his house, his grass was at least 4 ft tall.......that was just in the front yard. The back had weeds that looked 5 ft tall. And the grass was as tall as that. I told the owner I charged $35 per cut/ biweekly. He said, "how about once a month?"

I said, "Once a month means your grass is going grow over 4ft tall. I'll have to charge double for that. The tall grass will strain my mower and will require more work."

He then said, "Oh I can't do that!"

Needless to say I did not get the account, but good riddance. Some people here in Florida are not willing to pay. Lots of cheap people at my neck of the woods.

i hear ya! welcome to florida! like someone else on this site said, " florida = lowballers ", oh by the way, there is NO way that i would cut someones lawn at this time of year every other week...just crazy!