PDA

View Full Version : Man I am Lazy!

Eden Lights
07-15-2008, 07:43 PM
For the last several years I have worked on several projects with a young stone mason that does excellent work and we chat business from time to time. Today we where talking and he has about five to six crews depending on how many men he has on each job site. He has been in the States for less than 10 years and has gone from helper to business owner that has a back log of 12 months of work, working from Dawn to Dusk six days a week, plays soccer and spends time with Family all day on Sunday. For years he worked 7 days a week getting started! He has no debt, a very nice paid for home, has built a apartment complex in his hometown and also supports the education system where his sister is a school teacher. No advertising, no yellow pages, no marketing what so ever, and is on average 1/3 higher on his quotes than the other crews in the area. I could go on and on and he will be thirty years old this year. Man I am Lazy.

TXNSLighting
07-15-2008, 07:45 PM
Good gosh! Now theres a smart person. And a very talented person.

irrig8r
07-15-2008, 08:59 PM
I'm curious.... where is he from and how did he come to the US... legally or not? If not, is he legal now? Does he pay taxes? Have a contractor's license and pay workers comp and liability insurances?

Eden Lights
07-15-2008, 09:36 PM
He is from Hondurus, I don't now how he came to be legal? He is legit as you can get. The client we are working for right now requires Business license, contractors license, W9, 1Million per vehicle, 2Million General, Workmans Comp, and a 2million Umbrella to get paid.

Chris J
07-15-2008, 10:01 PM
You know, I think about this from time to time. It occurs to me that people who come here from overseas have a dream; a really big dream of being in America, the land of opportunity. When they get here, they can't work hard enough to acheive that dream and it seems that success comes to them faster than they expect it to. I believe we Americans take our opportunities for granted, and have some distorted sense of "entitlement" that just because we work hard and live here success should just come to us easily. I think we can learn a lot from these people from out of the country. Working hard is just not good enough anymore. There are just too many people doing that already.

irrig8r
07-15-2008, 10:27 PM
Chris, I think you're right.

I look at all the immigrants working long hours in their cash-based businesses like liquor stores, donut shops, gas stations, dry cleaners around here.

cgaengineer
07-16-2008, 09:34 AM
For the last several years I have worked on several projects with a young stone mason that does excellent work and we chat business from time to time. Today we where talking and he has about five to six crews depending on how many men he has on each job site. He has been in the States for less than 10 years and has gone from helper to business owner that has a back log of 12 months of work, working from Dawn to Dusk six days a week, plays soccer and spends time with Family all day on Sunday. For years he worked 7 days a week getting started! He has no debt, a very nice paid for home, has built a apartment complex in his hometown and also supports the education system where his sister is a school teacher. No advertising, no yellow pages, no marketing what so ever, and is on average 1/3 higher on his quotes than the other crews in the area. I could go on and on and he will be thirty years old this year. Man I am Lazy.

I don't think its lazy...I think it more about risk taking and that go getter attitude.

larryinalabama
07-16-2008, 09:44 AM
Ive been busting my axx all these years and I still dont own that apartment complex.
Im thinking to spend my latter years being LAZY, LOL

Guzman Properties
07-16-2008, 10:14 AM
The OPPORTUNITY is there for EVERYONE. Those who really want it, strive for it.

Not everyone is made to be a millionaire, how many Donald Trumps do you know?

irrig8r
07-16-2008, 10:43 AM
Yep. Some of us would rather go fishing as long as the bills are paid. Others of us don't make time for vacations, looking for as longer term payoff I guess.

I learned long ago that spending quality time with my kids was equally important as trying to provide for their future.

I know I can't take the material things with me and the more things I own, the more they seem to own me. My kids will always be my real legacy, and there's a lot of satisfaction in seeing how my guidance and influence pan out.

Litewerks Expert Lighting
07-18-2008, 06:34 PM
work hard, play harder! thats what i say.