PDA

View Full Version : Is 4wheel drive neccesary??

KrayzKajun
07-16-2008, 12:25 AM
i plan going get a new truck come labor day. Im steppin up to 3/4 ton diesel.
I decided that because im goin to keep this new truck for a good while, i might as well get what i want.

the thing that 4x4 is a few thousand extra. Being i live down south, is it necessary?

i fgured i could use the 4wheel drive when pulling the gooseneck dump trailer my uncle left to me( i currently cant pull it wit my 1/2 ton)

all opinions welcome.

mike lane lawn care
07-16-2008, 01:05 AM
i use 4x4 almost daily. i use it when driving on lawns to keep the rear tires from spinning, and to back my trailer up my steep gravel driveway. i used it today to get into an undeveloped lot to do some work. so i use it a lot for work, and i would really have some issues had i not gotten the 4x4. and then there is of course the 3 months a year that the truck never comes out of 4x4, but down south you don't have that white problem.

TXNSLighting
07-16-2008, 01:14 AM
Once you lose 4x4 you will miss it!!! Trust me, this is my first two wheel drive and it hurts!

KS_Grasscutter
07-16-2008, 01:25 AM
I always find myself switching on the 4x4...whether I am out muddin', checking crops, pulling my dad out of the mud because he has a 2wd, pulling over dead trees...hell, I even dropped 'er into 4 wheel when I was getting my senior pictures taken last week:laugh:

Turf Commando
07-16-2008, 01:25 AM
4x4 in the south is as useless as t1ts on warthog..:laugh:

jaybird24
07-16-2008, 02:26 AM
If your just pulling stuff around 2 wheel is all you need, unless like posted you need to go off pavement regularly. You should not tow in 4 wheel on dry roads anyways. Unless you need it the extra maint. alone would steer me away. Up here we have it for snow, during the summer I would say we use it maybe twice a year, and that's when the road to our dumpsite which is clay on a hill gets washed out. 2 wheel drive will go a lot of places if you know how to drive it.

Chilehead
07-16-2008, 02:36 AM
4x4 in the south is as useless as t1ts on warthog..:laugh:

:laugh::laugh: Good one! No, seriously, if you plan on routinely traversing through mud, or travel up north in the snow--4x4 is the way to go. Otherwise 2WD is best. I will be purchasing a new Sierra/Silverado shortly, and will be opting for the locking differential. This gives you the performance characteristics of 4WD on only the rear axle, sort of like 2WD on steroids.

Keith
07-16-2008, 03:28 AM
Back in 2002, my Dad was out picking up a load of plants for us at a nursery about 30 miles away. On the way out, he got stuck on the entrance road (these places are sometimes in the boonies.) The nursery he bought them from did not have a tractor, or even a truck to do the job. Just a bunch of golf carts. The other nursery would not help him, saying they did not want to the liability. He ended up calling a tow truck, waiting 2 1/2 from when he got stuck and paid $150 for someone to come out and pull him ten feet. I decided right then and there, any future truck would be 4wd.

Gravel Rat
07-16-2008, 04:33 AM
On a srw P/U truck 4x4 is a must a 2wd can get stuck on a banana peal. On a dually truck its not so bad but a 3/4 ton or 1 ton single wheel diesel you get a one wheel wonder spin.

I wouldn't buy a 2wd 3/4 ton even with a limited slip.

02DURAMAX
07-16-2008, 06:46 AM
Once you lose 4x4 you will miss it!!! Trust me, this is my first two wheel drive and it hurts!

Didnt you say your silverado was 4x4?

02DURAMAX
07-16-2008, 06:50 AM
On a srw P/U truck 4x4 is a must a 2wd can get stuck on a banana peal. On a dually truck its not so bad but a 3/4 ton or 1 ton single wheel diesel you get a one wheel wonder spin.

I wouldn't buy a 2wd 3/4 ton even with a limited slip.

no one wheel wonder with the 3/4 ton and up chevy trucks....also a dually will slip more than a single rear wheel truck...Just ask look around a friend has one and mad does he get stuck.

AI Inc
07-16-2008, 07:35 AM
Do you enjoy fishing / boating? Another reason for 4x4 is for pulling up a boat ramp as your rear tires are underwater , sometimes in wet sand /gravel.

Hortus
07-16-2008, 07:53 AM
If your willing to pay out the cash for a 3/4 diesel and you say your wanting to keep for a while, what's the difference a few thousand on another pumpkin going to make? By Labor day, the chances for a great deal in pricing for the larger vehicles, new or used, will help in that decision also...go for it.

goldrush
07-16-2008, 12:11 PM
being down south, 4wd is seriously un-needed. I drive a 2wd silverado and I have never needed 4wd, even when my friends asked me to go muddin i went with em in 2wd and i even pulled somebody out. 2wd is most def fine, you just have to know HOW TO DRIVE, if your ever in those tough places you need to get out off. The extra weight, maint, gas, it'll all add up sooner or later and seeing how gas prices are im savin a bunch not having to worry about that stuff. It would be understandable if you lived out in the middle of nowhere, but where i live its perfect.

TXNSLighting
07-16-2008, 01:13 PM
Didnt you say your silverado was 4x4?

no my sierra is a 2wd...bad times...i needed a 4x4. but i found a good deal...

TXNSLighting
07-16-2008, 01:14 PM
being down south, 4wd is seriously un-needed. I drive a 2wd silverado and I have never needed 4wd, even when my friends asked me to go muddin i went with em in 2wd and i even pulled somebody out. 2wd is most def fine, you just have to know HOW TO DRIVE, if your ever in those tough places you need to get out off. The extra weight, maint, gas, it'll all add up sooner or later and seeing how gas prices are im savin a bunch not having to worry about that stuff. It would be understandable if you lived out in the middle of nowhere, but where i live its perfect.

Yeh a freind of mine has the exact same truck as me in a 4x4 and we get the exact same fuel mileage...so no fuel differance in the duramaxs.

Gravel Rat
07-16-2008, 01:38 PM
I guess if your not used to having 4 wheeldrive you never miss it. Any single rear wheeled truck can get stuck in a homeowners driveway around here. There are concrete driveways you would just spin. If you had a detroit true trac in the diff it would help.

kps2389
07-16-2008, 02:33 PM
By Labor day you can probably get about $15,00 grand off the sticker price so go with 4WD. A friend of mine works at a chevy dealership and said that chevy is getting farther away from the truck market and concentrating more on cars so they will be practically giving trucks away.

Ramairfreak98ss
07-16-2008, 07:19 PM

Its a tossup... in NJ, ive always wanted 4x4.. Since i used to do only snow blowing with snow blowers in the winter months, the 2wd F150 was "ok" most times, but then you get that 2' snow fall where streets are a full 2' deep or more, and its a big 2wd bumper blow :/ Got stuck a number of times that day.

On the same note, the only time im "in" 4x4 is while plowing with the F350, but again, just for sake of being able to take off faster while the roads are snow covered and for plowing. Otherwise i would hardly ever need it. Theres months that go by and i never hit the switch.

I pull lots of trailers and on properties all the time, never would i need 4x4. If you need 4wd off road pulling a trailer, chances are you probably shouldnt be pulling the trailer off the road anyway, 2wd, 4wd or 8x8, your gonna bury any trailer of a significant weight in mud, sand or very loose dirt.

gardenergreg
07-16-2008, 07:54 PM
limited slip diff (lsd) will help alot on a 2wd no single wheel spin

LindblomRJ
07-16-2008, 08:47 PM
I maybe use 4 wheel drive a half doezen times a year. Even with average snows I rarely use 4x4.

Petr51488
07-16-2008, 10:42 PM
By Labor day you can probably get about $15,00 grand off the sticker price so go with 4WD. A friend of mine works at a chevy dealership and said that chevy is getting farther away from the truck market and concentrating more on cars so they will be practically giving trucks away.

I'll remember that.. I guess labor day will be the day to buy another truck.

OhioMowerGuy
07-16-2008, 11:10 PM
I think its alot easier to sell a 4 wheel drive than a 2 wheel drive when the time comes for you to sell it.

KrayzKajun
07-16-2008, 11:30 PM
thnaks for all the info guys! looks like I'll be gettin my crewcab, diesel, 4x4 come labor day!! dont know which brand yet!! Whoever out the big 3 (ford,chevy,dodge) can give me the best price

mower&more1986
07-17-2008, 12:30 AM
change my mind.

TXNSLighting
07-17-2008, 12:41 AM
thnaks for all the info guys! looks like I'll be gettin my crewcab, diesel, 4x4 come labor day!! dont know which brand yet!! Whoever out the big 3 (ford,chevy,dodge) can give me the best price

Well good luck! cant wait to see what you get!

KrayzKajun
07-17-2008, 10:12 AM
Well good luck! cant wait to see what you get!

Majestic, is yur truck an classic front or the new front end??

dougmartin2003
07-17-2008, 10:37 AM
its better to have it and not need it, then to need it and not have it

topsites
07-17-2008, 01:54 PM
I'm not sure if it's needed, then again I've never had a 4wd.

TXNSLighting
07-17-2008, 03:14 PM
Majestic, is yur truck an classic front or the new front end??

its the classic old body style. pre emmision duramax. heres a closer pic:

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=209948

Lawn-Sharks
07-17-2008, 04:35 PM
4x4's are important to have only when you need them ,and when you need one you will wish you would have bought one. Thats why i have one and always will for my biz.

Gravel Rat
07-17-2008, 04:48 PM
I don't know how being in the south makes a difference you still have soft dirt and grass don't you ?

It doesn't take much backing into a spot and try pull ahead and the wheels start spinning.

I have done that your turning around and back into a driveway etc its dirt you feel the back of the truck sink a little and its oh no. Pull ahead slowly and the wheels start to spin.

The contractor I worked for had nothing but 2wd trucks my company truck was a 3/4 ton 2wd and I got stuck a few times cursing 2wd. Myself personally I have owned nothing but dual wheeled trucks for 12 years.

I have been in places I should have had 4wheeldrive down into driveways that are steep and are dirt. I trenched many with my tires keep them spinning.

MOWALLTHETIME
07-17-2008, 10:03 PM
I have two diesel 2wd trucks a 2500 and a 3500 and neither one has ever gotten stuck and I go to the mulch yard, nursey,undeveloped lots fields and so forth. I would save the 5600 difference and buy me a winch and AAA membership if I wanted to get in the mud I would buy a cheap 4X4. The only way I would get a 4x4 for my business is if I got a 3500 drw. they will get stuck in wet grass. In landscaping for 97% of the time if you cannot get your truck and trailer in and out with no problem you cannot work anyway. Insurance is more along with the added maintaince and extra weight the truck is hauling around. Besides 2wd can haul more according to the factory ratings. But I have learned that you need to look at your position and needs and buy accordingly. What works for one person does not neccessarily work for you. Unless your accountant tells you to buy new trucks I would buy a used one. Right with diesel at almost 5.00/gal the lots are full of slightly used trucks that you can literally steal from the dealer.