PDA

View Full Version : valve problems? I think anyway.

P.I.L.C.
07-15-2008, 11:48 PM
Took on a new job today to replace a cracked pipe after the backflow to the ground. 5' of copper that is exposed between the backflow to the ground, 20 minutes and I was done. She wanted me to charge the system and check all the heads. No problem. :hammerhead: She also wanted a new timer installed so I did that as well before charging the system. All finished, zone 1 nothing. zone 2-7 nothing as well. All valves tested good with my meter so I put new wire nuts on every connection. Valves turn on manually but not with the timer. Any ideas?

BSME
07-16-2008, 12:08 AM
you torched the wire when you were doing copper repair

DanaMac
07-16-2008, 12:16 AM
Sounds like a common wire issue. Check if it puts voltage out at the terminals. If so, check if it is getting voltage at the wire connections. If not, wiring issue. if voltage at valves, but no go, then I have no clue.

P.I.L.C.
07-16-2008, 12:27 AM
Replaced the copper with PVC. Wire not even close to here. Tested the valves from the controller ( unhooked the wires ). All read good with no shorts or open. Tomorrow I am going to put a new valve in and try that. I should have tested the voltage at the valve to make sure it was 24 volts but when the tested read good I assumed it would be ok. At least it was the 99 other times it read good.

BSME
07-16-2008, 12:30 AM
hooked up the rain sensor wrong...

Waterit
07-16-2008, 12:34 AM
hooked up the rain sensor wrong...

OR it had rained and didn't have time to dry out...

P.I.L.C.
07-16-2008, 12:38 AM
no rain sensor on this system. The only other thing I can think of is the port below the solenoid is plugged. 1 maybe but probably not all 7 unless something got into the line.

BSME
07-16-2008, 12:48 AM
I'm going to get this one before everyone else wakes up.

what kind of timer?

master valve? although they probably wouldnt have come on manually if there was a master valve.

P.I.L.C.
07-16-2008, 12:54 AM
Rain Bird ESP Mod. Brand new out of the box. Tested voltage at timer all good. No master valve either. This is where I started to scratch my head cause that is what it acted like except for manual valve operation. The valves looked like RB 100 DV except they didn't have a bleeder on top of the valve. Must be an older style valve.

DanaMac
07-16-2008, 01:07 AM
Has to be controller, module, or wiring. Nothing wrong with valve if all 7 fail at same time like that

P.I.L.C.
07-16-2008, 01:10 AM
I'll tear into it a little more tomorrow and let ya know what I come up with.

P.I.L.C.
07-17-2008, 12:16 AM
Went back out to the property today and did some more testing. 29 volts at the valves, valve ohmed at 55. Everything looked good. I changed a diaphram and a solenoid, turned the zone on and it took right off. Changed all 7 and works great now.