PDA

View Full Version : Do you mow in the rain?

MATTHEW
01-14-2002, 07:37 PM
Last year it was not much of a problem, but the year before, we had 2-3 days of rain a week. Since we had an El nino and another one is forming, I might gueass we'll have another wet one. I did not cut in the rain, so I had to squeeze it all in 3-4 days. I did see a lot of guys out there doing it in the rain. I will not.
Do you?

Bunton Guy
01-14-2002, 09:14 PM
Yeah we mowed in the rain. Not to much of a problem I did not mow in the really really hard rain but waited for it to slow or stop. We did have to switch from enclosed trailer to open trailer till the end of the season then switch back due to the mess it made in the trailer. In the enclosed trailer when we hit bumps transporting the mowers it would drop ALL of the grass that was stuck under the mower. And I mean ALOT would come off of it EACH lawn so we switched to a open trailer so that when we hit bumps it would work its way through the grating while transporting and leave nothing to celan up. The amount that would come off of all the mowers togather after one lawn would fit 2.5 5 gallon buckets.

keifer
01-14-2002, 09:26 PM
Yes, rain sleet hail or snow. the post man aint got nothing on me. really I run tight on time and hate to be behind.

Ray&Christine
01-14-2002, 09:42 PM
We don't like cutting in the rain but we have too. If it rained for 2-3 days in a row we would not get our accounts done by the end of the week. We just have to take a bit longer to blow the grass clippings off the driveways and walkways and make sure there are no clumps of grass. The only problem we do run into if it raining very hard the drive belts on our 32" Toro start to slip, usally when we go up the ramp on the trailer.

Ray

Randy Scott
01-14-2002, 09:46 PM
Yes.:(

Green Care
01-14-2002, 10:48 PM
We have no choice if were behind.

CPLLTT
01-14-2002, 11:47 PM
We do, and we shouldn't. It is really not good for the lawn, it causes excessive compaction and ruts. But business is business........

SJR Lawncare
01-14-2002, 11:50 PM
I do not like to, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. Especially if you are getting behind on your schedule.

SJR

AustinJ
01-15-2002, 12:10 AM
My route is still pretty loose since last year was my first year, so I was able to not mow when it was raining too hard, and just compress the schedule and make it up. Hopefully I'll get some more accounts next season, in which case I probably will mow in the rain. But, like Alpine Meadows says, if the ground gets too wet and my mowers start leaving ruts, I'd rather just wait until it dries out some.

BigJim
01-15-2002, 01:19 AM
According to the Weather Service in the 46 days since Dec 1st ,its rained on 33 of them here,as we pick up all the grass on most lawns I just keep mowing till the Walker will not suck it up anymore, then its home time,heavy rain and long spring grass theres only so much any mower will pick up :cry: .

Weather forecast for tomorrow:Fine and Sunny 85 :cool:

KirbysLawn
01-15-2002, 08:04 AM
Only if I must.

beck
01-15-2002, 09:56 AM
A piece of advice a got from the forum if you miss 3 days of cutting it is easier to go to your next day and wait until next week to get back to the other 3 days. For example rains mon-wed
but ok on thursday start with thursdays(or wed if you want to work sat) and leave mon-wed til next week.

David Haggerty
01-15-2002, 10:45 AM
It's the wet ground, not the rain that causes ruts. You'd be better off to go ahead and get it mowed before the ground turns soft.

If clumping's a problem use double blades. Clumping from rain is easier to deal with than the clumping you get from overgrown lawns.

Mowing in the rain can leave muddy tracks. So look on the bright side. If it keeps raining, the tracks are gone before you are! LOL

The smaller the mower, the more it is inclined to leave ruts. The big mowers will mow over ground too soft to walk across.

So in answer to your post as to when I'd mow:

Rain? =yes

Soft ground?=yes

Leaving ruts?=no

Damage to customer property just to get the lawn mowed?=No

Lightning storm?=BIG NO!

Dave

odin
01-15-2002, 11:04 AM
We only mow in the rain if it is absolutely nessacery
Never in the lighting though,two mexicans here got eletrocuted one time mowing in a thunderstorm. Those weedeaters and mowers are like a lighting rod

LAWNS AND MOWER
01-15-2002, 12:51 PM
I'm able to mow certain accts in the rain. Rentals normally fall into this group. I'll mow til my Toro starts coughing up hairballs. I'll mow in the rain if my wife is grumpy!! Let's see? Weedeat in a lightning storm or stay home with a nagging wife?? Tough call..

LAWNS AND MOWER

JimLewis
01-15-2002, 01:56 PM
How could you NOT mow in the rain??? Each of my crews mow about 15-20 houses per day, 5 days per week, every week of the month. We live in Oregon. It rains a little here. We can't just stop mowing for a day or two. We'd be 30-40 houses behind in no time.

One of our best traits is that we are 100% reliable. We haven't missed a day of service in years. Of course, in the winter we don't come every week and we only mow once per month. But the rest of the year we are like clockwork. People love that. It's one of the biggest reasons we've grown so fast in only 6 years of business.

And NO, it doesn't hurt the lawns to mow in the rain. If that were the case everyone in Oregon and Washington would have damaged lawns.

I am with David Haggerty on this. We won't mow where it will cause ruts. But we'll mow as much of the lawn as we can and just avoid the part that would cause ruts. Then I upsell them on installing a french drain. :-)

trimmer
01-16-2002, 12:14 AM
Every chance I get I mow in the rain.:D

eslawns
01-16-2002, 02:46 PM
I used to, but it just makes too much of a mess. I will usually finish a yard if it starts raining when I'm already there.