PDA

View Full Version : Thievin' Bastards anyhow!

Bobdidit
07-16-2008, 04:44 PM
So I mow part-time, I use a '97 Nissan pickup to tow a trailer with my equipment and I get home around 8:30 pm, park my trailer and equipment in the garage, lock the doors to everything and go to sleep. My wife being the early riser she is wakes me up at 5 am and informs me that my pickup sounds like crap, what did I do. Sleepily I tell her it was running fine when I parked it last nite. Well, this causes me to get up and go check things out and lo and behold there is a missing part between the pipes from the engine running back to the muffler. I drive it laughing at first thinking just needs new pipe. I take it to the muffler place, he says "someone" probably stole my catalytic converter. I get to thinking about the "clean" cuts and sure enough makes total sense. Cost--$297 to repair because I was "lucky" they didn't take the sensors too. Anyway, so I find out that the catalytic converter is worth probably $500 as scrap because of the platinum in it. This pickup is worth maybe $2000 book value, should have done it myself--ha. It's fixed now, but he informs me that he does 6+ jobs like this a week. Makes me wonder, but anyway. 16 lb spud bar upside the head of the person(s) responsible for this would tend to make me feel better. My only hope is that the money went to a good cause, like feeding a family or something like that, not drugs or booze. Anyway, just venting.:dizzy:

white1
07-16-2008, 07:21 PM
Heard about similar things another website I frequent. Catch a lot of people buying used converters, but if there was $600 worth of SCRAP platinum in a $297 converter dont you think a new one would cost more??

Bobdidit
07-16-2008, 10:42 PM
I thought the same thing and the installer stated the composition of the new is significantly different (cheaper) I asked that question. Supposed to work as good though.

Big T's Hauling & Lawn
07-17-2008, 04:40 AM
there only worht about 175

cgaengineer
07-17-2008, 12:39 PM
I have a friend who's father has a wrecker service...he gets paid $150 per cat and the guy picks them up so it must be around $175-$200 per unit...maybe I am in the wrong business!!

KrayzKajun
07-17-2008, 12:47 PM
damn thieves!!

grass2cash
07-17-2008, 05:03 PM
Here is a little consolation... each salvage yard is required to document each cat converter transaction and take a copy of the selling parties DL and wait 30 days for stolen items to be reclaimed. I'm not certain how you can prove the part belongs to your truck but hell its worth it to potentially catch the arsehole who stole it from you.

Tharrell
07-19-2008, 06:59 AM
I've noticed converters being stolen a lot around here, story in the paper last week and again just yesterday.
I really don't care if it's for drugs or food, if I EVER catch a thief, he's gonna pay big time for all the ones I didn't catch. God help us both if it ever happens. Tony