PDA

View Full Version : Problems with Rainbird's Maxipaw

dbsoccer
07-16-2008, 04:12 PM
I have a 30x60 rectangle with Maxipaws in all four corners on one zone and two others half way down the 60' side of my rectangle. These are on a second zone. The two zone head works fine. But three heads on my four corners don't cycle properly. They stick part way though. One of the four works fine and it does not matter where in the zone I move it - it works. I'm using the 07 nozzle on all four. I have 08s on the two center ones.

My pressure may be marginal. I read about 38psi at the PVB. It is very close to the yard area and everything is in either 1" pvc or 1" poly.

How is the best way to measure pressure at the head?
Would it help to replace the bearings? I see Rainbird has a kit available.

Somewhat related.... what is the vane for? I see a diffuser behind a couple of the nozzles but not all of them. What is this for? Could this be any part of the problem?

Thanks.

Waterit
07-16-2008, 04:40 PM
Rather than going through the trouble of pulling the heads and repairing them, just replace them.

DanaMac
07-16-2008, 04:43 PM
Rather than going through the trouble of pulling the heads and repairing them, just replace them.

But there could be another problem such as a leak or kinked or pinched pipe.

That pressure sucks.

Wet_Boots
07-16-2008, 04:45 PM
Make sure the arm springs are adjusted for low-pressure operation. That's why you can move the hooked end of the spring, to reduce the tension.

dbsoccer
07-16-2008, 05:02 PM
Hey thanks for all the great replys. Wet Boots.... you've peaked my interest. The one head that works cycles slower than the other three. I thought it may be missing a weight or had weak spring. Tell me more about the spring and how to adjust it. I could just buy new but that may not fix my problem. I'd like to measure the pressure at the head. I see elsewhere I can do that with a pitot tube hooked to a pressure gauge.

Wet_Boots
07-16-2008, 05:06 PM
Forget the measurements - just adjust the arm springs. They don't come from the factory set for low pressure.

dbsoccer
07-16-2008, 05:09 PM
Could you explain better about the springs. I haven't messed with them at all.

Wet_Boots
07-16-2008, 05:13 PM
http://www.rainbird.com/pdf/diy/man_AG5_Maxipaw.pdf

dbsoccer
07-16-2008, 05:17 PM
Wet Boots. Thank you. I was on the phone with RainBird today for about 30 minutes. I would have thought they would have offered what you just did. Very much appreciated. Have a beer on me.

Wet_Boots
07-16-2008, 05:19 PM
don't mind if i do :drinkup:

Mike Leary
07-16-2008, 05:37 PM
Those guys at RB are prolly outsourced in Mongolia.

dbsoccer
07-16-2008, 05:42 PM
I was beginning to wonder. I do a bit of this stuff but not professionally so when I call and it seems like I know more than the guy on the phone it's a little scary. I'm just glad he didn't ask me for the nominal fee that is listed on their web site. I imagine there are some really sharp people at Rainbird. Unfortunately it isn't the ones who are answering the phones. These people appear to be in a steep learning curve.

dbsoccer
07-16-2008, 06:00 PM
I don't want to beat this to death but can someone tell me what the vane is for? I am missing the vane is a few of the heads. It was probably blown out when I was changing nozzles with the water flowing. (The adult version of running through the sprinkler).